S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 11th, 2018, 03:55 PM   #1
markwphoto

Default Inner Back Spins Breakdown

Hello Everyone,

Now that I'm done with Nationals I'm going to making videos and blog posts to help improve your (and my) rollerskating. I have a lot of topics planned but today I started with the breakdown of the inner back spin. I know there has been a recent discussion on spins, particularly the inner back, so hopefully this will help some of you having trouble with them.

Be sure to subscribe to my youtube channel to keep up with when I post them and also be sure to frequently check my website for my latest blog posts. www.thezenofrollerskating.com.

Here's the video link:

https://youtu.be/cRZle4wS5zs
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:59 PM   #2
jotson

AWESOME!!! Very well done! Thanks for the detailed breakdown.

Always enjoy watching the art moves, but not much art near me. I also get the feeling that my low jam skates don't work well for these moves, probably since I just can't seem to do them
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:59 PM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Dear Mark, Thanks for the post...lol!

Great Stuff.

It's always neat when people/skaters have such a love for a sport that they want others to get into it and that you want to share your knowledge with others. How else can we learn?

I learned a lot. I think there is a lot of truth in what you say about the upper body controlling the spin. I don't think there is anybody who does a spin who does not think that controlling the upper body, is essential in controlling and executing the spin. Good stuff and good work.

By the way. You mentioned in your personal history that is was required to learn figures if you wanted to perform freestyle and you stick to that motto today...lol!

I came from an era where every class was conducted with 1/2 figure practice, then 1/2 dance practice. Freestyle was something you learned on your own after a 2 year stint in learning dance and figures and then officially joining the club. It was an honor to be invited to be a "club" member.

In the old days...1967 every boy skated team dance. There was no such thing as solo dance. So a typical event like Sophomore "A" Team Dance had over 125 contestants at the SW Pacific Regionals. A few years before there were over 140 team contestants in Novice Team Dance.

I also believe team dance gained strength in the man's upper shoulders, which helped in his freestyle and jumps. I think there is a lot to be said that control of the upper body/strength aids in performing jumps. In the old days, early
70's nobody did singles. You either did doubles or you did not compete. I think that filtered down to almost the lowest events. I also think that is where cheating became prevalent, because asking a child to perform doubles is very hard. People learn to cheat to meet the objective. That may still be true today if you want to be a World Class Skater. You know you need triples to compete so you cheat in order to give the illusion of performing the difficult content.

Thanks again,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2018, 08:39 PM   #4
Ancient1

Mark,
Nice spin and great description. Thanks
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:40 AM   #5
rwsz

Mark nice web page and good video with great description on how to do those spins. good entry and sit spin for an old man lol. I think you are missing your calling and should coach, some of the best coaches weren't the best skaters , not only in skating but in most sports.

what years did u skate as a teen and from what rink and state. I don't recognize your name so I am not sure. either u skated before 90 or so or only in what they called jo back then .

enjoy and have fun, the most important thing.
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Slinkydog

Great video, looking forward to more!
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh

Hi Markwphoto, I was wondering if you'd post your youtube video on Off Skate Leg Training here on the skate log? I keep telling people about it (people that I skate with, we're all older than 40, and most have knee issues). I was actually going to reference a link to it in another thread, but thought that you should be the one to share it, since you put so much time and effort into it. You don't know how much you've helped me.

How long did you do these stretches/exercises before your knees felt better? I've been doing them for 11 days, but the pain in my knees already stopped within the first week. Thank you so much. Thank you.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwphoto View Post
Hello Everyone,

Now that I'm done with Nationals I'm going to making videos and blog posts to help improve your (and my) rollerskating. I have a lot of topics planned but today I started with the breakdown of the inner back spin. I know there has been a recent discussion on spins, particularly the inner back, so hopefully this will help some of you having trouble with them.

Be sure to subscribe to my youtube channel to keep up with when I post them and also be sure to frequently check my website for my latest blog posts. www.thezenofrollerskating.com.

Here's the video link:

https://youtu.be/cRZle4wS5zs
Nice! I got the IB in general. I figured out the shoulder thing on my own. But I was pressing way too hard on the toe. Do you have anything to say abount the hip? My biggest issue is the step-over or rock-over. Is the hip involved here?
Old August 31st, 2018, 03:43 AM   #9
markwphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Hi Markwphoto, I was wondering if you'd post your youtube video on Off Skate Leg Training here on the skate log? I keep telling people about it (people that I skate with, we're all older than 40, and most have knee issues). I was actually going to reference a link to it in another thread, but thought that you should be the one to share it, since you put so much time and effort into it. You don't know how much you've helped me.

How long did you do these stretches/exercises before your knees felt better? I've been doing them for 11 days, but the pain in my knees already stopped within the first week. Thank you so much. Thank you.
Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been re-designing and reworking some of my website and it hasn't been a smooth experience. I think I have all the kinks worked out so now I'm trying to play catch up on a lot of other things.

I'm going to create another post about the off skate knee training. I'm glad to hear the tips are working for you! Us in the 40+ club need all the help we can get!

When I first started the exercises it took me a good month before I felt better. Not 100% but better than when I started. After about 3 months I was feeling great with no issues at all.

Now that I'm skating a bit more my knees do great at the beginning of a week but by the end of the week (Thursday) my legs are usually fatigued and I know I've pushed myself too far and too much. My knees are usually a bit sore on Friday so I typically take Friday off from doing anything. Saturday I go back to the exercises and by Monday morning I'm good to go again for another week.

I can't tell how much these exercises have helped me for the better. Even when I'm sore after a day or two of rest I'm typically ok. Also even though my knees may be sore from being over worked, I still have no problems walking or going up and down stairs.
Old August 31st, 2018, 03:50 AM   #10
markwphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Nice! I got the IB in general. I figured out the shoulder thing on my own. But I was pressing way too hard on the toe. Do you have anything to say abount the hip? My biggest issue is the step-over or rock-over. Is the hip involved here?
I was just noticing some things about the hip this past week, particularly doing figure 3 turns but I also found it applies to spins. Try to keep the hip as square as possible to the shoulders. If the hip rotates in front of the shoulder it will get you too twisted and chokes the spin. If the hip stays too far behind the shoulder the spin will never really get started. I noticed on the inner back spins I do tend to use the right hip to whip me around for speed when I want it but it still must be controlled and stay as square as possible to avoid other issues in the spin. I still tend to pay more focus on my left shoulder position and keeping it stable/balanced throughout the spin and the rest falls in line.
Old September 4th, 2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Derrick

Quote:
I was just noticing some things about the hip this past week, particularly doing figure 3 turns but I also found it applies to spins. Try to keep the hip as square as possible to the shoulders. If the hip rotates in front of the shoulder it will get you too twisted and chokes the spin. If the hip stays too far behind the shoulder the spin will never really get started. I noticed on the inner back spins I do tend to use the right hip to whip me around for speed when I want it but it still must be controlled and stay as square as possible to avoid other issues in the spin. I still tend to pay more focus on my left shoulder position and keeping it stable/balanced throughout the spin and the rest falls in line.
Being coachless Iíve developed lotís of bad habits. I found when I was setting my performing foot off of the mohawk, I would set it really heavy on the back outside wheel. Last week I found I was better set if I set the foot more square or perhaps even a bit heavy on the outside toe. I have to skate a few session befire I figure out if any adjustment really helps.
Old September 4th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Being coachless Iíve developed lotís of bad habits. I found when I was setting my performing foot off of the mohawk, I would set it really heavy on the back outside wheel. Last week I found I was better set if I set the foot more square or perhaps even a bit heavy on the outside toe. I have to skate a few session befire I figure out if any adjustment really helps.
that will definitely happen, a pair of knowledgeable eyes is always good.
Old September 4th, 2018, 09:29 PM   #13
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
that will definitely happen, a pair of knowledgeable eyes is always good.
Oh well, my two foot spin is pretty decent and I can always just lift a foot to the IB. Although that doesnít generate move than a few revs on one foot. Iím always wanting more spin. People tell me to keep my arms out. But I just love to spin fast as I can.
Old October 28th, 2018, 03:36 PM   #14
Derrick

Default Checked out your video n the IB

Quote:
Best session ever yesterday. I incorporated your advice about the shoulder on a two foot spin. Usually my spin dies by the end of the session, but using just my right arm (I go CCW) out. I was getting sooooo much better spin. Usually early in a session I can get 6 to 8 revs before pumping the spin. I was 4 1/2 hours in and decided to count my revs (which I usually donít do). I got 13 revs. efore pumping. For the first time I feel a consistent entry and satified (at least for this microsecond) with my spin. I feel like I was performing the spin not just practing it.

I also tried the advice on my IB. Definatly helps.

The one thing I figured out that works for me to st better is keep bending the right(left in your case) slowly until your perfectly set. The raise.

Ok My STILL issue is my back wheels are just above the surface. If they touch I scoot. So my lean is not perfect yet. But hour advice about getting the edge with the wntire boot has helped. Not just spins 3 turns and just edges. Keep up the good advice.