S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #21
Damian73
Random Hanger-on

<sigh>

"mate, you looked like a baby giraffe tripping over those kids!" - loony888
Damian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #22
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian73 View Post
<sigh>
I agree ...
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #23
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Sad thing is, I can't tell if they are just taking the piss on all of us or are really sniping at each other :-)

I love Skatelog and Derby.. I get to learn and use all kinds of vernacular from other countries :-)
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #24
Damian73
Random Hanger-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjester View Post
taking the piss on all of us
*out of... not on... ;-)

"mate, you looked like a baby giraffe tripping over those kids!" - loony888
Damian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #25
Salamanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian73 View Post
*out of... not on... ;-)
Yeah that means something completely different
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #26
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Noobs are so fun to watch...

Its like.. watching a tiny kitten.. take its first few steps.. they fumble.. and fall.. and get right back up.. and then fall again...

Do you honestly think that your going to debate with Kathie and get your way?

For those of us that have seen this arguement at least 20 times before.. would you kindly..

SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY!.

Ya dont make the rules here.... the rules make you... step in line.. or step the hell out of here.. it grows tiresome reading this crapoola...
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
We do have moderators in this forum, but most of the time they work quietly in the background, and most issues are handled privately.

If you see a problem post or discussion, please report it to us using the "Report Post" link or by sending email to skatelogadmin@gmail.com. We do address problems that are reported to us.

Please note, however, that one person's flame war can be another person's spirited debate. We will not delete someone's posts simply because they are disagreeing with others, even if they are doing it repeatedly.

But that being said, repeatedly insulting other forum visitors, and especially slinging e-barbs at our newest forum visitors, is not acceptable behavior.

We have lost a disappointing number of new forum visitors because of experiences they have had dealing with some of our more angry, insulting, arrogant, or otherwise unpleasant forum visitors.

- Kathie
Here's a thought. How about instead of losing potentially good new forum members, the mods actually ban the people that are causing the problems instead of allowing these people to continue to come on here and sling barbs and call names to stay with the apparent repercussions being no more than a temporary ban? There are several forum members on here that repeatedly cause problems with others and, in some cases, cause us to loose very valuable, well respected, long time forum members with their repeated crap stirring. But yet the problem starters are allowed to remain. We've already lost Fresh Eddie and FanJet stays off here anymore, but yet the jagoffs that caused it are still here. And I shudder to think how much new product we've potentially lost because people that have the ability to create new gear (i.e. Wes, Gle8, Scott, etc) don't end up coming on here because they don't want to have anything do with all the problems on here. Please, stop telling us in these threads about how we're loosing new members because of the bickering and do something about it.

Look, I understand that you don't want to have anything to do with moderating this forum. And I understand that there are others that apparently do moderate it. But I gotta say it sure doesn't seem like they're doing anything. This is the only forum I'm on. I know there are many here that are on other forums and I've read many comments about how the other forums those people are on are strictly moderated and how this place is like a free for all. I know some people my like that, but I think it's ridiculous. There are people here that are very opinionated on certain skating related points and will argue those points tooth and nail. Those people I have no problem with. The problems are the forum members that are clearly on here to do nothing else but start arguments and cause problems for nothing more than their own entertainment. It doesn't even matter if they believe the point they're arguing. They just feel the need to be contrary just to start an argument. Those people need to be banned. Permanently. Not for a few weeks. Not for a month. Permanently.
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #28
8-Ball

Slippery slope..

The deal is.. this is impossible to police.. and have a clear and concise understanding of what is UNPLEASANT.

I have found the actions and behaviors of a otherwise well respected forum members and moderators as extremely UNPLEASANT. Does that mean that he/she should be banned???.

**its never gonna happen mind you**...

I personally think that Noobs and some Senior Members need to get tougher skins... We aren’t your mommas.. It isn’t our job to make you feel good about yourself.. or your skate purchases... Nor is it our job to research topics or historical threads that have been talked ad nauseam... just because you havent the time.. or interest in doing the research yourself.

Nor do senior members need to agree with other senior members. And when/if these senior members want to pout and run out of the forum in a huff.. it really isnt a great loss.

Most, end up coming back...and if they dont.. we need to respect their CHOICE.. and not look at it as if we should have created a softer pillow for them to lay on, so that they would stay.

Of course there are some jokers..*such as myself* that always push the boundaries of good taste... chit stirring... but ONE must know when enough is enough.. and to pull back.

For those that do not have the abilities to understand forum rules.. or control themselves during a "rousing debate"... then I think the ban button (1 month).. could be used more often..

but also.. for those that want to whine and say.. Im leaving if I dont get my way....

well dont let the cyber door spank you on your tushie on your way out.

If you took this mentality with skating.. that the first time you got a boo boo or bit the big one.. youd quit... youd have never learned to skate.

Buck up there camper...and climb on board... its a wonderful ride!!!

Im just sayin...

Last edited by 8-Ball; May 14th, 2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: deleted my bad idea:)
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #29
Dec8rSk8r

nevermind
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #30
8-Ball

double neverminds....
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #31
Dec8rSk8r

I do that too.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #32
Klompen
Carpet rock seeker..Splat

Smile

Fun times...lets go skate!
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #33
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

<< How about instead of losing potentially good new forum members, the mods actually ban the people that are causing the problems >>

That's what we do, but we have never been super heavy-handed about moderating and banning people. We don't do it just because people are arguing or disagreeing with each other. We only do it if people are knowingly violating our forum policies, and they continue violating them after being warned.

That being said, several users have lost their forum accounts this week. We reinstated two of those accounts after email discussions, but one of those users immediately re-lost their posting privileges.

Sigh...

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #34
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Very sad

Quote:
That being said, several users have lost their forum accounts this week. We reinstated two of those accounts after exchanging email with them, but one of those people immediately lost their posting privileges again.

Sigh...

- Kathie
You can lead a horse to water, and sometimes shove his head into it, but the dang thing wont drink.
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #35
bolivia

Quote:
<< How about instead of losing potentially good new forum members, the mods actually ban the people that are causing the problems >>

That's what we do, but we have never been super heavy-handed about moderating and banning people. We don't do it just because people are arguing or disagreeing with each other. We only do it if people are knowingly violating our forum policies, and they continue violating them after being warned.

That being said, several users have lost their forum accounts this week. We reinstated two of those accounts after email discussions, but one of those users immediately re-lost their posting privileges.

Sigh...

- Kathie
Having been part of public/private forums for many, many years, being a moderator imo is a thankless job, and I think you do a great job of knowing when/when not to intervene. Problem is the people who have been troublemakers most certainly have never been a mod, plus some see it as an honor to martyr their cause by being booted.

I guess some people will never, ever get a clue, or worse yet indifferent to rules or what is good for the group at large.
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #36
Reserector
ameteur debunker

It's simple, really:
The admin/s set the rules.
The forum staff sets the tone through participation and moderation.

That is how all forums work.

If you feel that a forum is under or overmoderated, then communicate that in private with the forum staff. If you are still not satisfied, move on. (or be moved)

I have visited forums that were at both extremes. I passed them up in favor of forums that I felt comfortable on.

Think of it like Picante sauce; You can get anything from mild to hot. Pick your flavor.
Like a DJ that doesn't take requests; you skate to the music or go to another rink. If enough people leave, the DJ might have to change his play list. But from what I can see, SLF is still the most popular forum on the interwebs, so how wrong can it be?

You may not like the overall tone of SkateLog, but Miss Kathie is consistent. Her rules are in black and white, and unwavering. I don't know what else you could ask for.
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #37
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

KATHIE, I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!!!

(cause I'm going skating on my treadmill now... be back in about an hour )

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #38
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisherTONE View Post
KATHIE, I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!!!

(cause I'm going skating on my treadmill now... be back in about an hour )

wait a minute, you can skate on a treadmill? isn`t that cheating? I mean, all you`re doing is standing there. I`m a tell, oooooooo lol, I`m a tell on you
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #39
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
wait a minute, you can skate on a treadmill? isn`t that cheating? I mean, all you`re doing is standing there. I`m a tell, oooooooo lol, I`m a tell on you
Really Avery!
You've never seen those treadmills that are oval shaped, and about 180 foot by 120?
Where have you been mate?
I have one in my kitchen!!!!
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #40
crashpants
Boo!

Does skating on a treadmill count as cross-training?
crashpants is offline   Reply With Quote