S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old May 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #41
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartin View Post
Let me also add that the only time I have seen a new comer to this forum get picked on, is when THEY themselves came here with an attitude, and drew first blood with long standing forum members.

Ive seen some really interesting people join the forum recently- and a select few who seem to do little more than twist other people's words and pick fights with anyone who disagrees with them. Of course there is little proof of that, because one in particular seems to specialize in deleting the evidence of his tantrums.
+1

I was gonna stay outta this one too, but Smartin's post is very true. I spend the majority of my time in the Quad forum and I find that new members there are treated rather well and welcomed to the forums....Unless they themselves have come on here with a "You people don't know what you're talking about" attitude. Those are the ones that are just looking to start problems. And anytime the new members with questions are informed of the search feature, it isn't in a sarcastic or belittling tone. It's usually preceded by helpful information and THEN it's mentioned "Also, use the search feature and look around the forum. There has been a lot of discussion on this subject that could also help", not in a tone of "We already covered this. Just search for it."

I think things are going just fine here. Ya tempers flare every now and then, but that's to be expected in an open forum with people from all walks of life. ESPECIALLY in a skating forum. There's always seemed to be a lot of drama involved in skating. Always has been, always will be. Ain't nothing you can do to change it. So I say just let things go how they have been. No need to get more moderation and start kicking people off here just cause somebody's feelings got hurt. That's a bunch of bull. Then again I'm from Pittsburgh. I was born with thick skin

Besides, we already have our own way of stopping arguments in the Quad forum.....

BUNNIES

Old May 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #42
73watermutt
I skate in circles

I have said it in the past and will say it again. Skatelog NEEDS active mods that can lock or delete threads when they get out of hand! I have NEVER been on a forum that does not have mods except for this one.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #43
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Why do you think we need more moderators? Are you seeing serious problems in the forum that are not reported to us? Or problems that absolutely must be handled instantly?

People who keep asking us to assign more moderators usually want more strict moderation. Jessica and I keep an eye on things, but we are not micro-moderators. We let people do their own thing as long as they are not causing serious problems or generating frequent complaints. Creating a group of more active moderators would make the atmosphere in this forum very different then it is today.

Be careful what you ask for...

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #44
Vanilla Vadj

Hello Loggers,

Not sure if it is appropriate for me to reply to this thread, but maybe as a brand new poster to this forum I can give you my perspective.

I've been reading the forums for quite sometime. And there definitely can be a slightly "superior tone" taken with newbies on occassion. But generally this forum seems alot tamer than other various forums I have visited over the years.

Also the few "elitists" do not come close to making up for all the helpful and insightful posters here. I've just recently made my first few thread topics asking various questions and all have been responded to with welcoming and helpful replies.

So, while you may be encountering a handful of agressive threads at the moment, be careful not to overreact too much, I get the sense that what some of the others posted is true, "know-it-all-newbies."

Oh and thanks again for access!
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #45
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
I have said it in the past and will say it again. Skatelog NEEDS active mods that can lock or delete threads when they get out of hand! I have NEVER been on a forum that does not have mods except for this one.
Yes to what Kathy said....Be careful what you wish for. We've got it good now. I can't imagine being so troubled by a thread that it would need to be shut down. What is the worst thing that could happen? This reminder by Kathy should be enough to get us on the right track.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #46
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Unfortunately that is the way things work...everywhere. Along with getting the things you need you also get a lotta things you don't need. Maybe the people who are complaining haven't learned this basic lesson of how interactions work among the people of this planet. It is truely a "tragic arrangement".

I'm not defending the people here and I'm not pointing fingers at them either because I'm one of them. There are things said many times that could've been said in a nicer way and/or things done that could've been done in a nicer way...but people are people.

My suggestion to the "newcomers" who are complaining? If you are coming here to learn something then focus as much of your time and energy on learning that. If you are coming here to teach something then focus as much of your time and energy on teaching that. If you are coming here to make friends then it works the same way here as it works everywhere else on this planet...some people you are gonna like and some people you are not gonna like.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #47
fastsk8

I would like to say that if Jessica and Kathy are suggesting a group hug..... ooops thats way out of line. sorry

great forum
fastsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #48
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Having been a recent offender, I have this to say: The SLF is a great resource for us all. Lets keep that in mind. The mods deserve our GREAT thanks, not to have problems dumped in their laps. This is the mindset I will carry from this point forward, I and will encourage others to adopt this idea also. If someone baits you, just think of not responding to it as a personal favor to Jessica and Kathie.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #49
Sidewinder
UFO

Default We're sorry...

There's a lot of people who read and don't post out there that see all of these posts too. That seems to get lost in the fray sometimes. We'll try to do better, myself included.

We don't appreciate how good we have it here sometimes. Thanks Kathy for all you do to keep it civil around here for a bunch of skaters and the like.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #50
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
need to lighten up the mood...lolz catz..
That has GOT to be the mellowest cat I have ever seen.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #51
Sidewinder
UFO

That cat was an English major. He's checking all posts for spelling errors.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #52
fierocious1

I have not been a member long at all. I am a member of another great forum. Not overly moderated, however moderators do hang around in the forum and if it gets too far over the limit something is mentioned. Other than that, things there are great. But fights between members are stopped rather quickly by telling them to take it out of the forum. Members for the most part are here to hang out and get info on things they like to do, skate. Also for friends, drooling over others gear, checking out avatars...etc. Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone is alike, so some things recommended do not work out for others. There are lots of variables that change the outcome of what might be good for someone else and not good for your application. Anyway you have a good forum here, make sure you don't mess it up. Ya'll have a nice evenin, ya hea....
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #53
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

Talking That's not a cat....

THIS is a CAT

Smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #54
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

That's not a cat that's a furry behemoth!
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #55
FarmTruk
rusty bones

or a small lion.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #56
khail71

i don't complain about anyone.... i haven't experienced anyone knowledgable being rude either.... but, if someone was, i wouldn't care.... you have to be super insecure IMO to care about the words of a person that has never met you, to affect you... at best, i think its completely entertaining to read the thoughts of some people that have had their delicate sensibilties questioned.... the beauty of a public forum is that it is for the ENTIRE public, not just the public that thinks the way certain individuals do.... i think its ok that there is lots of argueing over personal setups and competition between wheel making and distribution techniques.... i love the different opinions, because at the end of the day, only mine matters to me.... do personal attacks help get your point across? NO..... do personal attacks on people make you seem insecure and discredited, possibly.... it's not about having thick skin, as much as it is about growing up, and accepting diversity as a reality (and not a battlefront)....i would never feel it was necessary to talk smack on someone for their opinions, knowledge or skating skills....the skating speaks for itself, always has....... unless someone is using rediculous amounts of poor language, who cares..... it's not like anyone has to respond to anything....
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #57
Ignatz
Brick House

Beside the occasional testosterone-fueled battles over "who's right", a few people on here just seem constantly foul-tempered and sharp-tongued, maybe not getting that stuff they intend as "inside jokes" to the skatelog oldtimers is coming through quite differently to others.

That being noted, every dumb question I've ever asked on this forum has been taken seriously and answered courteously, by someone. Thanks!
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #58
Skate Key
Matt

Default I joined this year and had nothing but great experiences.

I joined this year and had nothing but great experiences. Even bought $600 worth of Great Skate from here. Everyone @ my rink are impressed at the Skate for the price I got. .. Happy Mother's day btw.
Skate Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #59
Myuu
Svoxy is not Boxxy.

I've been lurking for a while, albeit off and on, and have not been particularly terrified of posting. Granted, this is post 2, but I don't think that a snarky response would put me off it entirely. That is due in part to having been previously active on a number of other forums not particularly known for their decorum and also to the community here being far closer and more supportive, in that it is a typically positive and perhaps even educational environment.

In summary while it's quite possible that I've been desensitized to forum drama (internets is serious business, after all), I find this particular forum to have a more positive atmosphere than most.
Myuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #60
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myuu View Post
I've been lurking for a while, albeit off and on, and have not been particularly terrified of posting. Granted, this is post 2, but I don't think that a snarky response would put me off it entirely. That is due in part to having been previously active on a number of other forums not particularly known for their decorum and also to the community here being far closer and more supportive, in that it is a typically positive and perhaps even educational environment.

In summary while it's quite possible that I've been desensitized to forum drama (internets is serious business, after all), I find this particular forum to have a more positive atmosphere than most.
YUP...What he said.
we have less problems for sure.......lets keep it that way.