S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 9th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Rab23

Default Speed Skates? would they suit me better?

Hello again I was checking my wheels on my "new quads" when I one of the bearings fell apart.(608Z Semi Precision Bearings) After two attemps either im terrible or sould I invest in some speed skates? I have an inline background so I like speed, and after looking at the price of the bones wheels should I just gets some better speed skates? I skate on inline and have no problem gaining speed the wheels on the quads (58mm Indoor/outdoor Urethane Wheels aren't cutting it............Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Are you asking about inline speed skates or quad speed skates? If it's only your bearing that's hosed, just get some new bearings. Since you currently have quads, you'd most likely be looking for bearings with a 7mm inner diameter.

Speed skates are definitely a much different feel, since the ankle support is less than that of a higher skate. This goes for both quad and inline skates. The biggest difference with the 2 types of speed skates are that quas speed skates can have softer boots, since you have a wider, more stable setup on the ground, while inline speed skates need to be a stiffer boot, since the contact with the ground is less and the stiffer boots allow you better control of the skate.

The biggest question I would ask is what type of skating do you do most of the time? If you spend most of your time in a rink, session skating, I'd probably suggest a quad speed skate. If you spend most of your time outdoors, fitness skating, I'd suggest an inline skate. You don't necessarily have to buy a speed skate either, there are a lot of fitness skates that are excellent. Here's a good example: K2Radical 90
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote