S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old October 31st, 2006, 01:53 PM   #1
KeLLy

Default Spinning, slalom or other nifty stuff on fitness skates?

I've started with fitness skating, but I wanna do so much more then just doing some distance !!!
Thx to this forum, i got the skating bug All of your enthousiams just seems to rub off - been browsing trough the artistic forum and the cone slalom, looking at video's. Both spinning and slalom looks awsome and so much fun to do.

Anyone have experience on doing tricks (like spinning/slalom) on inline fitness skates? (i can easily loose the heelbrake since i don't use it).

Do i really need specific skates?
I have Fitness Helix 46 Lady skates by Fila (only 100) (http://my.filaskates.com/index.php?p...shop&Itemid=49)
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:42 AM   #2
Bill

I think you can get a good start doing some dance, spins, and slalom moves in your skates. The wheels are not too big, and the frame is not too long. Dedicated Slalom skates use smaller wheels and shorter frames, but almost all skaters started on fitness skates.

You'll want to rocker them to get the most out of them. That's where you lower the mid wheels or raise the front and back wheels. When you do this only 2 wheels will contact the ground. This makes the skate very manuverable. I'm not sure if your skate can do this.

If you can't rocker your skates by adjusting them, another way to get the same effect is to have new wheels in the middle and worn wheels at the front and back. I've heard this called a "Natural rocker". I prefer this way.

Either way you rocker your skates they will become more manuverable and easier to do tricks with. Rockering also makes them unstable at higher speeds, and not as good for speed, so there is a trade off. If you want more manuverability you can try smaller wheels. 76mm is a good size, 72mm wear out fast. The smaller wheel makes the skate feel smaller and lower so it's easier to do things.

Give the guy's in the slalom area a shout. They might have different ideas that will work.

Have Fun!
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3
KeLLy

Thx for the tip ! I don't have any worn weels atm (i rotate em) so i'll try the 76 mm.

I did ask in the slalom section... and the verdict was new skates.... so i'll try you way first, and perhaps get new ones in the summer.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Bill

Try and Put the 76mm on the front and back.
Or.... If your 80's are worn, you can try putting new 80mm in the middle.

Either way your just trying to setup so only 2 wheels are touching. The greater the size difference the more manuverable.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote