S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 6th, 2019, 03:33 PM   #1
ccsykes

Default Laser Skate Plate vs Suregrip Avenger Plate

I wanted to make this post for future skaters, since I would have loved to find such a post when I was doing my google searching.

I got back into skating in the summer of 2017 after some 25 years. Like many, I wanted to build my old setup, so I went with all the old school goodies including a Laser SA setup. The only things different were I didn't have Fafnir bearings and my Labeda Turbo's..

After months of trying every hard to find OEM cushion and adjustment I could muster, I finally got my skates to roll in a manner I felt confident on. But I never had the level of confidence or agility I remember having.

Yesterday, I built me a second set of skates. Pretty much same everything, except this time I went with a Suregrip Avenger DA45 plate, the lighter mag one. I only had to adjust the skates one time after hitting the floor.

The difference between the two plates is like comparing the suspension of a 1970 VW Bug to that of a 2019 Porsche 911 GT3. Seriously. It's like my whole skating experience has changed.

So if you stumble across this post, do yourself a favor. Ditch the nostalgia and get a modern setup..

ccsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:49 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default As someone heavily involved

in the whole DA45 thing, I'm pleased you broke the code. The DA45 truck was originally developed to make Sure Grip SA plates behave more like a Snyder Imperial / Royal. For some reason they never caught on back in the day, but they sure have caught on now.

Hunt back in the various threads (both here and Ask Doc Sk8) on DA45 and you can real all about it.

There are still naysayers out there, but that is their loss. Enjoy 'em. I love mine
Old April 6th, 2019, 05:20 PM   #3
ccsykes

[QUOTE=Doc Sk8;736854]Hunt back in the various threads (both here and Ask Doc Sk8) on DA45 and you can real all about it.

I did read about modifying the Laser's with a DA45 (Ultimate 2) trucks, which is what ultimately made me pick up the Avenger plate.

The slightly additional weight of the Avenger plate is just not enough to matter. It's just such a smooth action.
ccsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

[QUOTE=ccsykes;736856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Hunt back in the various threads (both here and Ask Doc Sk8) on DA45 and you can real all about it.

I did read about modifying the Laser's with a DA45 (Ultimate 2) trucks, which is what ultimately made me pick up the Avenger plate.

Must have misread that. The UII truck is SA

The slightly additional weight of the Avenger plate is just not enough to matter. It's just such a smooth action.
As long as you are a happy sk8r.
Old April 7th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #5
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

[QUOTE=ccsykes;736856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

Doc Sk8 does Satellites with a DA45 conversion and also Ultimate 1 and 2 IMPERIAL Conversion
Old April 7th, 2019, 04:30 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Too bad. You would have had to know to look up "DA45". But that was not in your vocabulary as you were going for what you had back in the day. Late 2009, early 2010 was when with Doc's help, DA45 was getting known. I caught that wave in early 2010 myself, and it's been a GREAT ride.
Old April 8th, 2019, 08:28 PM   #7
rbags68

Laser plates is what I ran back in the 80ís, loved them. Now Iím back skating again so I could teach my granddaughters. I picked up a new used pair of Riedells R3ís TIL I can build a pair, thanks for input on the plates.
rbags68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 10:50 PM   #8
Vitaman
This used to be easy!

Default Go hunting for 8-Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsykes View Post
I wanted to make this post for future skaters, since The only things different were I didn't have Fafnir bearings and my Labeda Turbo's..
You can find Fafnir 8 Balls if you look around. They will pop up on eBay occasionally, or if you're on Facebook there are skating forums where a set will appear every once and a while (unless I see them first). This is the part of the deal where you shouldn't ditch the nostalgia, unless you've found a replacement that makes you happy. Since my return to skating, I haven't found a bearing that rolls and lasts like the old Fafnirs. YMMV

Welcome to the DA/45 club.
Old April 9th, 2019, 11:30 PM   #9
fierocious1

Default My setup is different.

But I do use DA45 trucks(SG) on my rig. There is so much tuning range to be had with these plates/trucks. Its all I skate, as I went through a bunch of skates and had to finally stop and check out the geometry to figure trucks out.

Tags
laser plate, laser skate, suregrip avenger plate