S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #1
skaterdog

Default Speed Team Drama

Does anyone follow the Hyper board? The demise of my speed team has had a lot of discussion lately.

http://tinyurl.com/y8v65y

Does anyone else have to deal with this type of bickering?
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Wow, that's quite a discussion SkaterDog. Are those common issues in the indoor speed skating world?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Wow, that's quite a discussion SkaterDog. Are those common issues in the indoor speed skating world?

- Kathie
Very much so. Up until last year, I was a member of the NESL (North East Speed League). This is a USARS sanctioned speed skating league. It is all but extinct now. Last year, there were 4 participating teams. This year, I believe there are only 3, maybe even 2.

This league has been around since before I started speed skating on quads back in the early 80's. Back then there were over 20 teams and over 400 skaters in the league. League meets were held monthly and took an entire weekend to run all the events. There are still many USARS sanctioned leagues with that type of membership in the US, but the NESL isn't one of them. The membership numbers have steadily declined in the last decade.

The team I skated for last year is not really existant. They still hold a USARS speed charter, but I believe the head coach took her better skaters to the Keystone League, in the mid-atlantic and they skate for a team out of PA, still holding local practices in the local rink. Bad politics, IMO.

Last year, I actually held the office of league secretary, which I relinquished in April when I washed my hands of the league due to differences in the coaches that go back quite a few years. it seems like no one in the NE wants to work together to get the number of skaters back up.

So, I sigh a huge sigh and just try to keep on skating. Hard to do with no local teams and no local people to train outdoors with.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Jim White

Michigan is in a transition; this isn't a common situation there. Also, a non-USARS league is very uncommon.

Speedskaters are inherently competitive, and indoor skating is much more highly structured (the small floor means that precise rules of conduct are important, and the rink is a livelihood business), compared to outdoor which is more everyone doing what they want. So people who want drama can find it, but most indoor speedskaters are there to skate fast, turn left, spend time with friends, improve technique and ability, get exercise, and have fun.

Quote:
Bad politics, IMO.
People who critique politics usually find some of it to be bad. People who are primarily interested in skating usually don't find politics to be an issue.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #5
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

It seems that indoor speed gets to types of drama -- the league drama and the team drama. I'm working on squashing the drama on my team and get them focused on what counts -- Skating! I'm not sure if there is drama in the league as I've not seen it show up on the Hyper board . But it might be that the vast majority of posters there are from the East coast.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
People who critique politics usually find some of it to be bad. People who are primarily interested in skating usually don't find politics to be an issue.
I am much more interested in skating then politics but when you follow some of the indoor forums it's hard to avoid noticing the politics. I'm guessing part of the reason is the gradually shrinking number of skaters available for leagues, teams, and events. I get the feeling some of them are fighting for their lives.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 8th, 2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Jim White

Forums are people talking, not skating. It's like newspapers; little of what's in a newspaper has much effect on most people's lives, and very little effect on anything they can do much about, or usefully plan for it's effects. What's discussed in "some of the indoor forums" has no more relevance to the life of a typical skater than does a TV soap.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #8
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim White View Post
What's discussed in "some of the indoor forums" has no more relevance to the life of a typical skater than does a TV soap.
True, but why do they do it? Are they missing attention somewhere? Are they trying to pump them selves up? It boggles the mind.

And why do the parents get into it? What is in it for them? Are they living through their kids?
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #9
skaterdog

Quote:
Forums are people talking, not skating. It's like newspapers; little of what's in a newspaper has much effect on most people's lives, and very little effect on anything they can do much about, or usefully plan for it's effects. What's discussed in "some of the indoor forums" has no more relevance to the life of a typical skater than does a TV soap.
What people talk about on the Hyper forum has quite an effect on me Jim, because it means I probably won't have a speed team or a rink to skate at next year. Overall it probably will work out for the good of the sport but I happen to skate at a rink mis-managed by a fellow who is stubbornly opposed to change and has an overinflated opinion of himself.

BTW for the forum folks who don't know...Jim White did something I thought was really great. He travelled to Michigan and participated in the Grand Rapids event.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Jim White

Quote:
True, but why do they do it?
For the same reason people have talked for thousands of years. BTW, people who are training hard aren't talking.

Quote:
And why do the parents get into it? Are they living through their kids?
You know the answer, you said it. BTW, most drama is from non-skating adults. (Jenny's an exception, she's a good skater, and is working hard to improve skating.)

Skaterdog, you are one of the unfortunate ones, like someone who gets killed by a drunk driver. Sorry. My thought is that there's nothing any of us can do anything to help, so we should focus on what we can do to make our world better, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #11
skaterdog

Quote:
For the same reason people have talked for thousands of years. BTW, people who are training hard aren't talking.

Hey..I'm talking on the Hyper board and training hard. I think it's just the opposite since I know quite a few of the people. A lot of the most vocal folks on that thread are some of the most dedicated skaters I know.

In fact, one of my former teammates got so fed up with what was going on he bought his own rink just over a year ago. He has in that short period of time created the largest speed team in the area. That's not just talk.

sonicskate.com
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #12
Jim White

Quote:
I'm talking on the Hyper board and training hard. A lot of the most vocal folks on that thread are some of the most dedicated skaters I know.
True. And again, Michigan is an excepton now. But if you look at the skaters at Nationals, very few of them post.

Quote:
In fact, one of my former teammates got so fed up with what was going on he bought his own rink just over a year ago. He has in that short period of time created the largest speed team in the area. That's not just talk.
I agree that's the type of thing to do, action, not talk. I expect that talking on a forum had little to do with his success. I agree there's bad stuff going on. I don't agree that talking about it helps, with rare exceptions.
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #13
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Unfortunately, in the NESL, it's very much like a soap opera or how the postings go over on the previously mentioned forum. Most of the downfall of our league has been the animosity between coaching staffs. It's a shame, because there's a lot of talent here, both in skating and in coaching.
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #14
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

Well here in the SE part mainly NC, teams are closing there practices just to one team out of vigina, which is synergy. I dont totally agree with them closing the practices, but I see it from both sides.

Why should a team train skaters that there team rink is 100 miles away to beat them, they shouldnt have to, but at the same point they are just hurting the skaters all together cause the skaters from synergy could help make the other skaters better.

That is the only drama going around here for right now.
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #15
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
one team out of vigina
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #16
ncspeed

Quote:
Well the whole drama was synergy was going around recruiting skaters promising them this that, I dont know the truth just whas has gone around. But only a handful of teams now have open practices where every one else has closed there practices to Synergy skaters.
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #17
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
I think that went over his head, Kathie.
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #18
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I was just making a silly "vigina" joke. Sorry ncspeed, I could not resist a little light teasing. Hope you don't mind!

- Kathie
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #19
ncspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I think that went over his head, Kathie.

It did go over my head, gotta fill me in on what the meaning of it was.
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #20
Jim White

This is an example of how drama builds. Someone says something, someone else hears it and doesn't understand where the speaker is coming from, often has nothing to do with skating, as in this case, and the relationship goes downhill. Others get involved for their own agendas.

(In this case, NcSpeed was good to ask the speaker what was meant, that's unusual. And I do agree that Skaterdog and Chuck are suffering real world pain, pain which our discussing is unlikely to mitigate the real world part of, and pain which uninformed discussion can increase.)

NC, your mis-spelling of Virgina made it close to the word vagina; Google that. It's a rather obscure term not in the working vocabulary of most/many guys who speedskate, no reason for it to be, and there are better-known synonyms in their language.