S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1
kelvis97

Default Skate question

I am a fitness skater, I like to go as fast as
possible out here in New England.
In the summer I try to skate every day on
a local rail trail's.

I have been using Salomon Pilot Pros,
which are five 84mm wheels.

I want to buy 100 mm
skates in a effort to get a bit
more speed.

Salomon are no longer
available so I am thinking of going with the
K2 radicals which are four 100mm
wheels.

Also K2 has a Radical Pro
which has two 110 mm
in the rear of the skate and
two 100 mm in front.

I was wondering if anyone has
had any experience with these
skates.

I know to most people on this list
these might be considered
main stream skates, but I am not
ready for a low boot yet.

Thanks

Kevin
kelvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #2
mikeyb

Hi Kelvis. I use the same boot as you and have mounted my Mogema 5x80 frame to it. I haven't used the K2Rad's but they're so popular that k2 is selling this model in its third year. I've been on these threads the last few weeks gaining advice as well cause I want to go to 4x100, but I'm leaning toward going back to a speed boot.

I'll tell you what I know. While you'll always find some people who are uncomfortable in any skate, the K2 Rads evidently have alot of happy customers. They are a little heavy compared to any speed skate which may not be an issue for you. The new Radical Pro has a carbon cuff which makes the skate lighter and the skate will sit a smidge higher because of the larger rear wheels. K2 reports the skate is palpably lighter than the regular Rad 100. To my knowledge it begins to be sold to the public in a week or two.

I haven't used either of these models. While both are on my list of possible purchases, I'm waiting for Bont to begin selling a hybrid 'Semi-race' boot in March. I plan to compare this to a higher cuff Apache and a local Bont rep is supposed to help me chose and fit one of these. A speed or semi-speed boot is a bit more complicated and expensive to buy, but I'm bit by the bug.

You can also still mount a 6.5" hybrid 3x100 frame to the Salomon, but it will likely take a little work with a file and drill for the rear bolt to work. It has some kind of metal nipple that projects into the base of the frame and I even needed a small pile of washers to make it work. Not a great solution but I did this for a 1000 miles or so.

Last edited by mikeyb; January 18th, 2007 at 09:36 AM.
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #3
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I am currently on Rollerblade Lightning TF 4 X 100 and am very happy with them. The K2 is probably similar, but I never tried it. I personally wouldn't go with the 110/100 setup for two reasons.

1) you would still accomplish the transition of fitness to speed in the "normal" 4 x100" frame without having to get into something not mainstream.

2) maintaining two different wheel sizes in a skate is difficult and frustrating. You will not be able to rotate the wheels regularly even with a slide caliper, (which I use every week, around 80 miles), and you will have to buy mixed lots of wheels.

I other words, I personally do not see the benefit of these skates, other than a little more speed over a normal high end fitness skate. When you get to that point, just get onto a true speed skate.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #4
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
I other words, I personally do not see the benefit of these skates, other than a little more speed over a normal high end fitness skate. When you get to that point, just get onto a true speed skate.
Saw a prototype @ K2's table in Athens...a lot lighter than my Rads (90s but with Pro longmount 100mm frames). The major hype for them was the reduction in padding allowed by the boot and cuff being fully heat moldable. 'Seems it had a little more padding than my Pro Longmounts but still looked a lot like a speed boot with a marathon cuff. Additionally the 110mm rear wheels should smooth out rough pavement some. After the indoor season I'll take my Pro's onto the pavement and see how my feet and ankles hold up for some real distance...if I'm still not comfortable with low cuts on the trail then it'll be the Rad Pro's.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #5
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGlenn View Post
....... After the indoor season I'll take my Pro's onto the pavement ...............
When would that be? Does it ever stop raining in WA?
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #6
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Actually we have a drought season which is normally July, August and September.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #7
NWGlenn

Quote:
Actually I'll be on the pavement well before Regionals, ~mid-May, but on my current Rads in stock configuration. As far as the rain goes I just have to keep an eye on the weather and "carpe that ol' diem" as opportunity presents itself. It's re-setting the frames on the Longmounts that I don't want to do more than I have to that keeps them off the trail until after Regionals.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #8
mikeyb

I'll have to include the RB's as options, too. They also may be a bit lighter than the Rads, though weight is only a moderate issue for me.
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote