S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Group Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Skates Discussions about night skates, organized skate tours, skating party weekends, and similar group social skating events.

Old May 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #1
harmen

Exclamation Amsterdam Friday Night Skate - August 31 is 10 Year Anniverary Skate

August 31, 2007: Record skate in Amsterdam

The Friday Night Skate (FNS) in Amsterdam is the oldest night skate in Holland. This year we celebrate our 10th anniversary. Since the start in 1997 the FNS has been skated on every dry Friday. Probably around 400 times. In Europe only the other great Friday Night Skate in Paris can beat this numbers.

During the summer (May - September) the FNS organizes slower night skates at least once a month. The skating speed is lowered to enable slower skaters and children to enjoy the routes and music as well. Every slow skate also has a theme. The Spring Time skates opens the season, Dress in Red shows the FNS as a real group skate and the Fright Night Skate used to be a really cool Halloween skate. This year some of the themes are based on the FNS` 10 year anniversary: a Gala (=black tie) Skate, an Anniversary skate and the main event of the year, the FNS Record Skate.

The FNS Record Skate has one simple goal: get as many skaters to the FNS as possible. Most of them will be from Holland, but we sure like to see our many skating friends from abroad we met on our skating trips to Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, Zurich, St Petersburg, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Sydney, Cuba and all other great skate destinations.
So if you were thinking about coming to Holland or Europe for a skate, this is the perfect moment!

On August 31 most holidays are in their last weeks leaving some time to relax in Amsterdam after your main holiday trip. Especially because the Dutch weather is usually at its best in August.
By the way, if the Record Skate rains out it will be postponed once to the next Friday.

The Amsterdam airport Schiphol is only a few hours away from most European destination and also the gateway to Europe for intercontinental skaters. And as many skaters know from the Amsterdam Skate Festival three years ago, travel by car is also an easy and lot cheaper option.
And a really good hostel you find close the Amsterdam skate hot spot "the Vondelpark": click here

We hope to see you all on August 31 in Amsterdam!!

Best regards,
Harmen de Boer

Stats
Contact FNS Record Skate:
Harmen de Boer, harmen@fridaynightskate.com

www.fridaynightskate.com

Summer average FNS last years:
600-1000 skaters

FNS record:
3.000-3.500 skaters

Dutch record:
12.000 skaters in Rotterdam

European record:
probably on of the night skates in Germany?
harmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #2
oldiesk8er

Sounds really great. One year I hope to make it.

BTW it would be interesting to know the numbers, where it took place, and how long it lasted of the world's biggest ever night skate.
oldiesk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #3
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Thanks for the information. I will have to pass this on to the friends and family living in Netherlands.
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

I'll be there September 14, too bad I can't make it to the record skate.

I'll take some pictures etc. to share with the board when I return to FL
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #5
janneman

Arrow parallel events

too bad it is in parallel to the RAPS24KiKa event - where I will be racing and fundraising for the child cancer fund. one has to prioretise....
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6
oferyko
digging contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
I'll be there September 14, too bad I can't make it to the record skate.

I'll take some pictures etc. to share with the board when I return to FL
i'm missing it by one week... i'll see what they have in mind today
oferyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default FNS in Amsterdam 14 Sep. 2007

First a huge thanks to the FNS team to make this a very fun and safe skate! They rock and I can totally recommend going to Amsterdam and skate with the FNS-group! Road blockers, flying nurses and all!! http://www.fridaynightskate.com/

It was very international the night I attended, I talked to people from Australia, Germany, Netherlands, Israel, and then me and myself Danish/Floridian There were only around 100 or so at the skate, due to some exchange with the Paris FNS (I never got the details, my Dutch is not that developed...)

I wanted to take some pictures from the skate, but either I or my camera did not cooperate, so the only picture I have is from just before we started

Amsterdam has a very efficient Tram (street train) system, flip side of that is lots of tracks to fall over/in, when skating in the streets Those tracks and dark and - no I did not bring a light - made it a very "fun" skate. I didn't see any falls, but from one just before the end of the 20km long skate. Amazing!

The view from my hotel

One of the many canals and some beautiful houses

I made two new friends

Maybe Janneman or another from NL, can explain how these customs made clog-skates, that I found in a store, feels to skate on?!?!

So if anybody is on the way to Europe, try to make it to Amsterdam, great place to spend a few days.

Last edited by Birgit; September 17th, 2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: edit of link to pictures
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote