S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #1
NASCAR21801

Post What hardness of wheel for the floor

I was looking for some help on what hardness of wheel I should get for the floors that I skate on? I live an hour away from two types of floors. One is a coated wood floor, the other is a floating urethane floor. I was thinking of a wheel hardness of 93a would be good for both floors. That way I would not have to buy two sets of wheels and be changing them every time I go to a different rink. Could use any help. Thanks.
P.S. I'm really not into tricks or anything just out for some fun.
NASCAR21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #2
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCAR21801 View Post
I was looking for some help on what hardness of wheel I should get for the floors that I skate on? I live an hour away from two types of floors. One is a coated wood floor, the other is a floating urethane floor. I was thinking of a wheel hardness of 93a would be good for both floors. That way I would not have to buy two sets of wheels and be changing them every time I go to a different rink. Could use any help. Thanks.
P.S. I'm really not into tricks or anything just out for some fun.
What are you using now, boot, plate, wheels..., and how do they work on the different floors?

I find most coated floors will have similar grip. They feel close enough that I don't bother with wheel changes. However floors and skaters are different, so skaters usually choose a wheel that works on the floor with less grip. Find out what other skaters with your style are using on that floor and give it a try.

I think skating both places will make you a better skater overall. I know a few good skaters that skate only one rink 99% and they have problems skating other rinks. Quite often I'll skate 2 different rinks in the same day. Skating a different floor was strange the first time I tried it, but it soon became a non issue.

HTH,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3
NASCAR21801

Thanks for ideas. The girlfriend & I used to skate many moons ago and are going to give it another try. The skates that I have (( I got them off ebay)(she also got hers off ebay)) are Riedell boots w/ sure grip century plates(just like what I used to have). I dont know what kind the wheels are. Planing to buy new ones. The rinks that I used to skate on was a floating urathane floor( about 20 years ago) in St. Cloud,MN. And my girlfriend used to skate on a coated wood floor in the Twin Cities(MN). We would be going to these rinks switching weekends. That is why I'm open to any help.
NASCAR21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Bill

A few generalites... Jam skaters who do stuff that looks to me like kind of like break dancing on skates use speed boots and speed wheels. Session skaters use both boot types and wheel types plus I've seen some using outdoor wheels. Roller Dance skaters, line dance skaters prefer the hi boots and regular wheels.

For coated floors Bones Elites 62mm 101A are the most popular wheel with the session skaters wearing regular hi boots, at least in my area. In other areas they like a lot harder wheel to skate their style. I remember an interesting article by a famous skater... If I find it, I'll put up a link.

I've seen great skaters using just about every type of wheel... so I guess a large part with wheel selection is what your style of skating is, what you like and ....

...oh and welcome back!

Bill
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Bill

Here's an article from Bill butler's page. He prefers a certain wheel for his style of skating... Lot's of interesting reading here.... most reccomendatios are for his style of skating....
About wheels... some stuff here
http://rollerskatingtoday.com/billyb...es/032003.html

and more interesting reading here,
http://rollerskatingtoday.com/rstarchivelinks.html#gjn

I may not agree with (or understand ) everything he talks about, but he is one of the best!

Bill
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #6
jbgerman

Quote:
The wheels I skate on are rental wheels, orange in color and the reason I use that particular hardness is because my technique requires lateral movement so you need a wheel that will give you a very similar look as that they use in Detroit [Open House] but not as hard as that. My slide is much shorter and more controlled in another way - but both moves are controlled.
I think Bill Butler means Vanathane-Wheels, not Polyurethane. Like this one at the picture. I still own some dozens of old Vanathane rental-skate wheels from the early 80s.

Vanathane is hard, but allows not so long slides as the Fo-Mac or Clay-Wheels.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

You have to take a lotta things into consideration. Floor type (you got that), humidity in the skating rink building, your weight, style of skating, skate plate and the action on it (how it is adjusted), aluminum hub or plastic, changeable hubs, wheel duro, wheel profile, wheel color, fast skating, slow skating, so on and so forth.

Give more information if you can.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hey Guys the Skater is DEAD

Hi All,

Now this might still be an interesting topic, yet the original poster in 2006 is long dead.

Just Saying,

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #9
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi All,

Now this might still be an interesting topic, yet the original poster in 2006 is long dead.

Just Saying,

Dead as in "shuffled off this mortal coil" or just no longer on this forum?
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Bill

Quote:
Hi All,

Just Saying,

Dead? well I think it's fair to say he probablly has newwheel issues. I still Like the bones elite 101a, wheels will always be a hot topic with skaters. always trying to adapt. to compensate for knees age, weight , floor , changes in style, and everything else. Wheels are always an issue to someone who skates. they are a quick and easy way to deal with changes.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Hi All,

Just Saying,

Whaaa???
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default He's Dead since 2006

Hi Ed,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Whaaa???
He's Dead since he has not posted since 2006.

Done, Kaput, A-NoShow aka DEAD

Edit-01: The Danger of Not Watching the Poster's Tread Start and History. I don't remember who it was, yet they are now, and have been an accomplished skater. Well I jumped right in to this one tread and gave advice without checking the dates and geez I felt embarrassed afterwards giving advice to one of our advisers. If someone has a good old-old tread then restart it so the Principle Author is Alive and Kicking not DEAD

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; October 2nd, 2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: The Danger of Live and Dead Posters
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote