S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1
janneman

Question Freeline skates - what you think of em? something between skateboard and inline

Bumped into this product - you think this is fun? usable?

(klick on pic for the website) note: i'm not selling this or so! probably never will ride or try this myself.. just curious!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
you think this is fun? usable?
Nope.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Deca
skygrinder

....what.

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. I cannot even begin to imagine how you could ever ride those. You would just break your ankle and then fall on your face.
Deca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #4
s243a

How do you strap them to your feet?
s243a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Default My new Freeline skates are here!

I've only got an hour in on 'em so far, but they're a hoot! I can't quite make myself go yet, but rolling down a (very, very, VERY) slight incline, I can get the feel of how it's supposed to work, and it feels GOOD. I can tell, I'm gonna LOVE these things once I get up to speed on 'em, I may never ride quads outdoors again. Really, it feels that good.

Recommended.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; June 10th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:07 AM   #6
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Awesome! I've always wondered about those things every time I see them on ebay! I just wasn't sure I could get the hang of them not being attached to my feet.... is it hard not to pick your feet up by mistake?
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:16 AM   #7
OldSchoolRinkRat
Rink Rat 4 Life

Those look scary fun!

I've looked at them before, but I have trepidation about trying something like those. Still, they look like they would be a BLAST to skate!
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:24 AM   #8
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

I haven't tried to pick my feet up yet.. but then again, I'm a shuffler on quads, so I don't pick them up much to begin with. I don't think that's gonna be a problem. And it's kept me from making myself bleed so far.. the falls a beginner expects on quads or inlines just turn into little hops off the skates! So far, I have zero falls under my belt, and don't expect many (any?) until I get crazy and try a downhill or skate park or something.

Really, the only thing that kept me from trying them sooner was the $139 + shipping price tag. Even though I thought I would like 'em, I was scared to make the investment in case I didn't. But when I saw a pair that somebody else quit on for $89 shipped, I just couldn't say no. Pushes my Roll-Line purchase out that much further, though.
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM   #9
j-kitty

Cool! My coworker has them and sometimes you see him just weaving down the hallway on them

jt
j-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:57 AM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Interesting.

You have added another dimension to the definitions of sk8board....
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM   #11
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Bumping a moldy-oldy thread here. I just picked up a set of these, and now I have to preach for new converts.

Quote:
How do you strap them to your feet?
They use the G&G binding: Gravity and Griptape, baby!

Quote:
You would just break your ankle and then fall on your face.
I haven't even fallen yet- not one time. When things go bad, you just step off! I don't think I'll manage to hurt myself until I start bombing hills or hitting the skatepark.

Quote:
you think this is fun? usable?
Yes, they are fun! There's a learning curve, for sure, but I can already tell that I'm going to "get it" pretty quick, and that I'm going to love it. And for the record, I'm not a skateboarder or a snowboarder- I ride quads and skis. These Freelines manage to give that cool carving feel of a board-type ride, but with the two-leg freedom & control you only get from skates. Best of both worlds. Don't write them off as a novelty, these are a real ride.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM   #12
bowl-blader-101
not-so-solid member

definately not worth the $130, or 75-ish pounds for us English folk.
i could either have them, or a brand new frame set consisting of Kizer type M Carlos Pianowski frames, Eulogy Team Bird wheels and renegade swiss bearings.
you know which one i'd go for!
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #13
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Just throwing out an update on these for anybody that's curious. (Also preaching for converts. )

I got in one hour of practice on day one, two hours on day two, and a half an hour into day 3, I finally "got it" and was able to make myself go on these things. That was my first goal, to be able to self-propel. After reading on the net, it typically takes people 20-ish hours to get to that point. I credit the fact that I'm coming to the Freelines as a quad skater, instead of coming to them as a skateboarder. If they look scary to you, I'll point out that I am still yet to have a fall, with 5 hours of practice under my belt. Not one single fall. It's because when things go bad, you just come off of them, and you're on your feet. I'll probably eat it for the first time when I finally get going faster, but for now, I'm not scared.

The point? If any of you are on the fence about them, you've got a major advantage here. You've already got the muscles & balance you need for these- muscles & balance most beginners do not have, because skatboarding/running/cycling/etc. do not exercise the right muscles or teach the right kind of balance. You're already used to using both feet independently, which boarders really aren't. There's a steep learning curve at first, for sure. But you can kick butt on these things, and relatively quickly.

The basic motion is a lot like sidesurfing on quads, only without having to point your toes outwards. You can groove on 'em like a rhythm skater, bomb hills on 'em like a snowboarder, ride vert on 'em like an aggressive skater. Want an idea of what it's like? Here's some decent vids of people that are better than me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqqqwlnEJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7hETWqRZs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgX2Lfv0zhg

These aren't going to replace my quads- they're no speedskates, and I doubt any rinks will allow them inside for shuffling. But I can use 'em when there's no session at the rink. I can use 'em when I only have 15 minutes. And it's just plain fun to have a new challenge.
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #14
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Them do look like alot of fun!!
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #15
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
You have added another dimension to the definitions of sk8board....
Heck, man, I'll bet these have a shorter wheelbase than anything you've ever skated! They're not sk8boards, they're the ultimate Doc-mount! Even the Aussies don't mount 'em this short.

Old April 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #16
Kir
Pussy Power!

As always I'm the odd one out, I'd ride em, wouldn't be too hard, would just take a little getting used to. I've got a Ripstik, which has two of them on it & I was riding it around in 10 mins. Once you get the feeling, it's smooth sailing from there. I'm sure these are harder than a ripstik, but they wouldn't be as hard as they look. It's the exact same thing I thought about the Ripstik. As soon as I learnt the correct leg action it was easy. The hardest part is always getting started though. Once you got a bit of speed happening it's easy.

I want a pair
Kir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:49 AM   #17
Demolishun
Aggro Member

Sounds like they might be a good crosstraining tool.
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #18
Kir
Pussy Power!

I'd definitely agree with that. Would be good because they're quite similar, but you do use very different muscles to power em (well you do with castor boards anyhow)

I didn't watch the videos when I first replied to this. The skate park vids were pretty trippy, they just carved around like inlines never will. Wouldn't get into it seriously though, seems tricks are extremely limited. I got better things to do than spend 10 hours learning to flip one of em and then land back on it. hehe
Kir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #19
Deca
skygrinder

Haha you have a ripstick? How are those things, I know they're just dumb little toys but every time I see them I REALLY want to try it out. I don't know why they cost so damn much.

Also what, I never realised that you ride them like a board, I thought you were supposed to stand on them like skates...that actually looks kind of fun. Still way too expensive though, and the tricks they were doing on them looked pretty retarded, except for just the like, flatland spinning around and stuff :P
Deca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #20
j-slim
15 y.o. Portuguese skater

thats prolly the dumbest thing i've ever saw... xD

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
j-slim is offline   Reply With Quote