S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old November 17th, 2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Daveho

Default zombies chunking, new wheel time?

hey guys,
ive noticed now that its getting a bit hotter, i seem to have an issue with my zombies chunking, this past training session i pulled a 1.5cm chunk out of one. this being the case i need to look into some new wheels, since i stated derby i have lost 30kgs (not because of derby, im 85kgs) so im gonna give a plastic hub a shot so im wondering peoples opinions on radar bullets, prestos etc or something elce all together (no turbos or scotts).

i know its hard to suggest a wheel based on nothing but im looking for a wheel which is rigid and durable, i can figure out hardness for myself
Daveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Sorry Dave, lol. I thought this thread was about Zombie Chunking.

http://www.twitch.tv/eagleinga3/c/4476377

my bad.
Old November 17th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Daveho

now i hate 8-bit zombies as much as the next guy but when it came to wheels the zombies seem to be pretty consistently good unless you throw harsh edge work at them... then not so much.
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
now i hate 8-bit zombies as much as the next guy but when it came to wheels the zombies seem to be pretty consistently good unless you throw harsh edge work at them... then not so much.
Got some pictures?

What kinda edge work? Rolling on the edges like doing a jam skating move such as iceberg, that not good for wheels, let alone thinner urethane aluminum hubbed wheels.
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

You must be down under, and the wheels are doing derby.

Zombie 62mm Max 42mm full width wheel design for maximum grip and stability. Zombie 62mm Mid Slimmer 38mm width for increased lateral response. Zombie 59mm Low Smaller 58mm outer diameter and slimmer 38mm width wheels provide instant acceleration and increased lateral response. 89A Purple Core Polished concrete and other slippery surfaces for insane grip. Can also be used as a pusher wheel. 92A Black Core For use on coated surfaces and tile. Loaded with an insane mix of grip and speed. 95A Red Core For use on sticky surfaces, track, or soft skate court where a hard wheel is desired for increased roll. NEW! 98A Core - Extra firm for insane speed on coated floors, tracks, and soft skate court.

Which size and duro?
Chunking in a hard wheel is scary, sharp edges, chunking in a soft wheel is rare, must be a hard wheel, I think a little more input..
outdoor or indoor?
57mm or 64mm?
28mm or 44mm?

If you're willing(good choice) to go without a metal hub... go roll-line, lots of price points, sizes, duros and they have great hubs, exact fit(bearing press required), true roll worth every penny, pick a duro-size-width and enjoy.

Saving money with a radar anything would be problematic.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #6
Daveho

im using the smaller 59x38 and yes im using them derby
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #7
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
If you're willing(good choice) to go without a metal hub... go roll-line
Never tried Roll-Line, but I did have Rollerbones Day of the Dead - they may not be Zombies, but at least they're Dead I know several derby people with them, and they seem to like them as I did (until I got the Turbos).
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #8
Daveho

i use day of the deads for my outdoor wheels in the 80A as iv bent several zombies and killed turbos too, a bit of flex in the hub is worth while in my opinion for a bit more longevity. however ive never heard a bad thing about bullets or lowboys.. anyone with actual derby experience?
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #9
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
i use day of the deads for my outdoor wheels in the 80A as iv bent several zombies and killed turbos too, a bit of flex in the hub is worth while in my opinion for a bit more longevity. however ive never heard a bad thing about bullets or lowboys.. anyone with actual derby experience?
How do you like your outdoor wheels? Maybe try the 92a for Derby? DOTD wheels were recommended to me by Derby folk. I have a set of lowboys that I used for 1/2 hour - too slippery for me, strictly session skating. I prefer Rollerbones plastic hubs/urethane over Atom. My 92 DOTD were nice and grippy with decent roll. Sorry it's not derby experience.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #10
Daveho

honestly they do ok as outdoor wheels... eh fine, its hard to judge how they would go in a derby environment, taking the hits, the jumps, the kicks and the stops etc
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

My wife is approx 230lbs, 5'8" and has played for several years.
She's a blocker/powerjammer; and has never bent a zombie. She's been on her zombies since 2012 Champs after finally wearing out a pair of white shamans on an outdoor tennis court they practiced on.

I'd think the axle would bend/break before you bent a hub.. I mean, I could see some serious sidewall/edge chunking, flat spotting, but hub bending?
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I bent a zombie hub at rollerjam during the EWNB event weekend. Enough to make it flat in that spot.

Hubs are easy to bend, they aren't that strong. A good impact and its game over for them.

Normal conditions, yea, its not gonna bend and an acle wont break before a hub will. Your comparing steel to aluminum

Edit..

Darkjester, just because she plays derby or specific positions in it doesn't mean she's had a instance that would bend a hub. Most people don't skate with enough force to do so, or ever encounter a collision that would.

Last edited by Mort; November 18th, 2014 at 09:26 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote