S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #21
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Thank you for the update...

How is the local art skater crowd that doesn't work on their own skates and use only stock cushions taking this?? Anyone taking note??
My coach takes note. Most of the crowd here is still using Atlas and Snyder plates. I know there are a few other Roll Line skaters but whether I'm on their radar or not remains to be seen. Coach calls me the tool lady now and if anyone has adjustment issues, my tool kit is always with me.

DH and the kids are on Snyders and Atlas and Sure Grip plates so I'm going to have to learn all about those plates as well. We've got a Super Deluxe, an Atlas freestyle, an Atlas figure plate and a Sure Grip Classic floating around the family now. I know that my daughter's figure cushions are going to be needing to be switched to a softer cushion very soon so that will probably be my next project.

S
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #22
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
My coach takes note.

I hope that's a good thing...

Most of the crowd here is still using Atlas and Snyder plates.

Snyders?? Like these??

I know there are a few other Roll Line skaters but whether I'm on their radar or not remains to be seen. Coach calls me the tool lady now and if anyone has adjustment issues, my tool kit is always with me.

Good for you... Just don't get so wrapped up in tuning other folks sk8s you don't get to sk8 yourself..

DH and the kids are on Snyders

We certainly can make those happier with new cushions...

and Atlas

From my experience, the Atlas rubber ones are way better than the urethane ones..

and Sure Grip plates so I'm going to have to learn all about those plates as well. We've got a Super Deluxe, an Atlas freestyle, an Atlas figure plate and a Sure Grip Classic floating around the family now.

Who is on the Classic??

I know that my daughter's figure cushions are going to be needing to be switched to a softer cushion very soon so that will probably be my next project.

S
Have fun...
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #23
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Coach noticing seems to be a good thing. She's starting to give me feedback on what she's seeing performance wise with the changes which is very helpful, for both of us, I think.

I never miss skate time to help someone else unless it's an emergency. That is for non skate time.

Sadly, no Snyders as pretty as those. DH's is an older Super Deluxe. That pair looks like they need replacing to me. Son is on an Atlas AE 2001 and the cushions look good but they might be a step too soft for his jumps. We shall see. Daughter has an older Atlas plate for figures and she has the Classic for freestyle. I think both sets of those cushions could stand replacing. They just look old and a little discolored. Hopefully, the process is more or less the same for changing those out but I'm not quite ready for that yet. I'll have to dig up the diagrams for them.

I have lots to learn but with this many pairs (and that's not counting all the inlines) somebody has to know how to do this stuff.

S
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #24
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Coach noticing seems to be a good thing. She's starting to give me feedback on what she's seeing performance wise with the changes which is very helpful, for both of us, I think.

Sweet.. I really like a coach that learns with their sk8rs..

I never miss skate time to help someone else unless it's an emergency. That is for non skate time.

I wish I could say the same..

Sadly, no Snyders as pretty as those. DH's is an older Super Deluxe. That pair looks like they need replacing to me. Son is on an Atlas AE 2001 and the cushions look good but they might be a step too soft for his jumps. We shall see. Daughter has an older Atlas plate for figures and she has the Classic for freestyle. I think both sets of those cushions could stand replacing. They just look old and a little discolored. Hopefully, the process is more or less the same for changing those out but I'm not quite ready for that yet. I'll have to dig up the diagrams for them.

Wow instructions too!!

I have lots to learn but with this many pairs (and that's not counting all the inlines) somebody has to know how to do this stuff.

S
I'm more impressed every time you post..

Back to the Classics.. It may be a good idea to swap over to the Classic Jr. trucks. They use "normal" cushions (and you could use the SG Supers if you wished) instead of the big honkers the regular Classic uses.
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #25
KMA

I am on a cushion quest as well. Currently on my Riedells (dance and freestyle skates) I have clear urethane uppers, and gray rubber lowers. This is so much better then the rubber yellows that came with the variant M plates.

Last night I put all clear on my Harlick (figure skates only), did not like it at all. I am not sure what to do next with those. I am thinking that I will like a combo of some sort. My figure coach is against combos, but I do not always listen to her, so why start now. I promised her that I would give it a couple of weeks. Well I think at least one session and lesson.

All in all my freestyle coach loves the stability of my Riedells. More importantly I love them the skates hold edges better and jumps are more stable. He noticed right away. Holding edges for dance seem easier as well. AND for me I can hold a back outside edge.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #26
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
I am on a cushion quest as well. Currently on my Riedells (dance and freestyle skates) I have clear urethane uppers, and gray rubber lowers. This is so much better then the rubber yellows that came with the variant M plates.

I think you might mean gray urethane?? The Roll Line rubber cushions are (softest to hardest) green, brown and yellow.. Urethane are
(softest to hardest) clear green, gray, clear blue, clear and clear yellow..

Now this is interesting. Based on the charts Roll Line published the 3 rubber cushions are roughly equivalent to the
clear green, gray and clear blue urethane cushions.

Last night I put all clear on my Harlick (figure skates only), did not like it at all.

I wonder why?? Unless you weigh well over 200 pounds you have no need of clear cushions on any Roll Line....unless you absolutely do not need them to turn...

I am not sure what to do next with those. I am thinking that I will like a combo of some sort. My figure coach is against combos,

Something to keep in mind about coaches.. More often than not their opinions are based on what worked for them. Often they loose track of the fact that no matter how hard they try to change things some sk8rs are just not them.

but I do not always listen to her, so why start now. I promised her that I would give it a couple of weeks. Well I think at least one session and lesson.

Combos are fine... the only negative is the truck swing point (where it moves between the cushions) moves up or down a bit.. The big plus is the give you the ability to dial the action into exactly where you need it.

All in all my freestyle coach loves the stability of my Riedells.

Help me out here.. I am assuming you mean your Riedell 297, Roll Line Variant M outfit??

More importantly I love them the skates hold edges better and jumps are more stable. He noticed right away. Holding edges for dance seem easier as well. AND for me I can hold a back outside edge.
Just between you me and the wall, get some softer cushions.. Granted I'm not an art sk8r but I do like my sk8s to turn.. I weigh 225 and run all greens on all my Roll Lines. (Ring, Giotto and my Chinese Navigator {plate only, everything else is real Roll Line} knockoffs)
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #27
Aaron Inami
Italian Product Freak

Hey Doc,

We've had some discussions about cushion stiffness and combinations over in the Art forum. There are several of us that are using the hard upper / soft lower combination on the Roll-Lines with a lot of success. One of the things that was mentioned is that you don't skate art boots. I'm wondering if you've ever tried your Roll-Lines with a high-top art boot. Don't know if you've experienced this, but I tested two art boots. One was softer (less ankle support) than the other. The stiffer boot was more sensitive to driving the turning radius of the plate because the stiff boot used any movement/lean of your leg and translated that into plate lean (which turns the skate). The softer boot wouldn't turn as well and (for my own preferences) just couldn't drive the skate enough because it allowed some flex of the ankle. Softer (funny, I always want to type software) cushions only made the skate more sensitive and unstable overall. On the stiff boot, I could use a hard upper cushion and still be able to turn the skate, even on the small figure circles.

I'm thinking that low-top speed boots wouldn't give you any ability to use the lean of your legs to turn the skate, since it would allow your ankle to flex completely. Therefore, you only have the bottom of your foot to lean the skate/plate and force the skate to turn. This, in my mind, would require a very soft cushion.

Thoughts...?
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #28
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Think outside the boot.

Aaron, think about it: you can lock your ankle, just as with any other joint. When you can lock your ankle, you don't need a stiff boot to help you apply pressure/leverage.
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #29
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Update: Coach had me move up to backwards figures recently. I was having a terrible time with them and getting my skates (and the rest of me) to turn and trace the circles. Coach watched me lurching around and asked if I still had those gray urethane cushions around. I switched back to all gray from the blue upper/green lower and noticed and immediate improvement on my Rings. And it was for both forward and backward tracing, which surprised me given the standard RL art cushion recommendations.

S
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #30
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Update: Coach had me move up to backwards figures recently. I was having a terrible time with them and getting my skates (and the rest of me) to turn and trace the circles. Coach watched me lurching around and asked if I still had those gray urethane cushions around. I switched back to all gray from the blue upper/green lower and noticed and immediate improvement on my Rings. And it was for both forward and backward tracing, which surprised me given the standard RL art cushion recommendations.

S
I'm not surprised.. Their recommendations are truly a joke.. I wonder how any one sk8s the stock cushions..

One other thing, don't be afraid to keep playing.. I get it on good account the a green barrel and a blue cone will make the Rings sk8 like a Hudora..
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #31
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
I'm not surprised.. Their recommendations are truly a joke.. I wonder how any one sk8s the stock cushions..

One other thing, don't be afraid to keep playing.. I get it on good account the a green barrel and a blue cone will make the Rings sk8 like a Hudora..
Hudoras, huh? Doc, you are funny. I must try these some day. I just like the name cuz it makes me think of cigars.

Likes these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006A3LS...2&linkCode=asn
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #32
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Hudoras, huh? Doc, you are funny. I must try these some day. I just like the name cuz it makes me think of cigars.

Likes these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0006A3LS...2&linkCode=asn
Obviously you are the comedian... THESE HUDORAS

Some of my references are in intended to be web searched since the web does NOT contain all knowledge.. However, there was some discussion of them on the art forum.. back in 08..
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #33
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:

Will do. I am lucky to have an open minded and flexible coach. . I have to say, with these all gray cushions, I am really starting to like these Rings a lot.

S
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #34
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Will do. I am lucky to have an open minded and flexible coach. .

Seriously.. Nothing better than a coach that balances what they know against what the sk8r needs and helps the sk8r find their own way..

I have to say, with these all gray cushions, I am really starting to like these Rings a lot.

S
Good.. Keep playing... You may continue to find combinations that work for ya..
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:14 PM   #35
bolivia

Quote:
Just between you me and the wall, get some softer cushions.. Granted I'm not an art sk8r but I do like my sk8s to turn.. I weigh 225 and run all greens on all my Roll Lines. (Ring, Giotto and my Chinese Navigator {plate only, everything else is real Roll Line} knockoffs)
Hey Doc,
Not to hijack this thread, but what's this Chinese Navigator knockoff you mention? Like you, I have all the real Navigator parts but wouldn't mind a plate a little shorter. Can you fill me in? (PM is ok too).

Bill
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:53 PM   #36
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
Hey Doc,
Not to hijack this thread, but what's this Chinese Navigator knockoff you mention? Like you, I have all the real Navigator parts but wouldn't mind a plate a little shorter. Can you fill me in? (PM is ok too).

Bill
It was a sample I picked up along the way... The suspension was not real good so I ditched it.. At the moment I cannot remember how I wound up with it.
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:36 AM   #37
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:

Thanks for educating me professor. I couldn't find that neat advertisement of yours for the Hudoras, and when all I could find was a picture of the clamp on skates, I seriously thought you were joking about making the Rings sk8 like a Hudora.

Next lesson please. How does a Hudora skate with the green barrel, and blue cone? What would the action be like if the cones were reversed, as I have on my Mistrals; blue barrel, green cone?

Thanks,
Bob
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:31 PM   #38
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Red face I got no idea..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Thanks for educating me professor. I couldn't find that neat advertisement of yours for the Hudoras, and when all I could find was a picture of the clamp on skates, I seriously thought you were joking about making the Rings sk8 like a Hudora.

Next lesson please. How does a Hudora skate with the green barrel, and blue cone?

It don't think it could...but I have never seen a Hudora in person so IDK if Roll Line parts would fit....

What would the action be like if the cones were reversed, as I have on my Mistrals; blue barrel, green cone?

Thanks,
Bob
I think you need to swap the cushions and see what happens.. I won't do it because I run all greens and refuse to put anything firmer into my Roll Lines.. Also I'm certainly not a loop skater..

The whole point of the original comment was the Hudora plate was loved by figure sk8rs back in the day and normally set up Roll Lines and ATLAS plates don't have the same feel on the loops..