S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Another Dave

Default Trying to start out again

Its been a long time since my last post - almost a year. Been almost that long since I skated. So out I went today an it was awesome. I took a drive out to the dyke and had a great time. I Have been reading a bit more how too's latly cause I wanted to get the skates out. One major change in my life over the year is that I lost 20kgs. The has made staying on the skate so much easier. Staying on the bike lane on the dyke means almost no other traffic no sharp turns and no need to stop suddenly
Plan to keep going as now it can be something I can enjoy.
Another Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Vyolet

Thumbs up about this post!
Not only for losing the weight, but it is always nice to get (back) into something fun.
And yay for being a fellow dutchy too
Vyolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Sounds Great f/InLine Learning

Great Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
Its been a long time since my last post - o o o it can be something I can enjoy.
As a non_natural beginner a long good path, reasonably flat, is seldom found, at least in my experience. SO you are lucky on those famous Dykes, if I get the picture in my head right. I had one of these paths once in Upstate NY yet not since.

Anyway once you get your stroke right and your strength right try some safe street skating to learn cross overs and more complex stopping.

Cheers, Keep Skating

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. It was funny how after the New Orleans Flood that school children in your land wanted to learn about your Dykes.
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Another Dave

Thanks Vyolet and Dave,

The Skate on Friday was great, so I figured I should start from home instead of having to drive 15 minutes to the Dyke
There must of been some sort of sale on bricks cause round here all the smaller secondary roads are paved. The vibration from the road seems to stress my feet out and where the nice smooth concrete bike path meets a road it gets interesting. I'm sure as time goes on this will no longer be a problem.
My plan is just to go out and skate for at least another 50 k and then give the skate park round the corner a go to practice Parallel turns, cross over's, t-stops and spin stops.
Starting out on 90mm wheels with IQL9's is making for "slow" progress.
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Another Dave

Just did my first 5 mile skate (without stopping, suddenly), started to bring my knees together and found myself landing on the middle/outside edge without having to even think about. Found myself going to far outside while thinking about it, so tried to push throught the heel properly and ended up draging my recovery skate. Onwards and upwards

Any of the Dutch members doing the Wednesday Night skate Rotterdam next month. Looks like fun, but i will need to work hard on 1 footed gliding and t - stops before going.

Last edited by Another Dave; July 13th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Rolling over stones/twigs

Another Dave,

Thanks for the Progress Report. And good that you went from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
o - o so I figured I should start from home instead of having to drive 15 minutes to the Dyke
There must of been some sort of sale on bricks cause round here all the smaller secondary roads are paved. The vibration from the road seems to stress my feet out and where the nice smooth concrete bike path meets a road it gets interesting. I'm sure as time goes on this will no longer be a problem.
My plan is just to go out and skate for at least another 50 k and then give the skate park round the corner a go to practice Parallel turns, cross over's, t-stops and spin stops.
Starting out on 90mm wheels with IQL9's is making for "slow" progress.
You do get used to the vibration since you don't ride so DOWN. You might want to look at your insoles. Lots of cushion products are out there for sports.

Spin Stops are good, as are the rest.

I am guessing you are saying that 90mm and ILQ are making you go fast as well as OFF_Balance since you are sitting higher. You can always go down to 84 and then back up.

Remember to clean your bearings, on SOME frequency.

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Another Dave

Thanks Dave

Just greased the bearings - what a mission don't want to have to do that again for a while. With better Planning before I start it should be quicker next time.

Skating from home is going better , handling the surface changes much better and my arise is improving. Went into the skate park to fine parrellel turns and t stops a go. Skates aren't co operating. We keep a it on the 90's for now. If its still slow going in two to three months time I will look at getting smaller wheels.

Thanks
ADave
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Great Report / Doing Great..

Hi

Well I am going through a cleaning cycle for both of my bearing sets. I am not happy with the time involved to make them each spin like new. I got one that has a hair trapped on one ball. SO I agree t'is a pain for us perfectionists. Yet we chug on.

It is a little easier when NOT skating on stilts (110, 100, 90, 84mm) wheels to learn what you want to learn for spins/stops/stuff. You can still learn yet it might take you longer and it depends on the individual. Hey how about the really old roller blade wheels.

I would down size to learn and then come on back.

Cheers on your struggle.

Old July 28th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #9
online inline

it really lifts my heart to read about inlining along dykes and Dutch bike paths. Maybe a pic would knock me clear off my seat!
Way to go!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #10
phicoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
it really lifts my heart to read about inlining along dykes and Dutch bike paths. Maybe a pic would knock me clear off my seat!
Way to go!
I recently found these articles. Better than any picture: http://www.skatecentral.com/custom/a...ing.dutch.html

Random photo:
phicoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Another Dave

I gotten good enough to risk carrying my iPhone . Should take a skate next week on the dyke will try to snap a few pics
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Want to see Dave's Pics

Hey Another Dave,

I too want to see them. Those are Huge Mechanical Dykes and I don't know if you are down low or earth has been piled up.

I guess I could do google satellite, yet what's the community fun in that?