S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
helptheskater

Question Where can I learn slalom?!?!?!

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for someone or something to teach me slalom tricks and I can't find ANYTHING. I can only find videos of people performing the tricks, but not teaching. Does anyone know where I can find a video or videos to teach me? I would also be willing to pay for lessons from someone, but I can't find anyone where I live (Calabasas, Southern California) that does something like that. One last thing, who what sports stores can I buy slalom cones from? Hope you guys can help me. Thanks!!
helptheskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #2
dougp

As far as I know, there really aren't any tutorial videos on slalom skating. Naomi once had an online tutorial for 'Crazy' but it's not currently available.

For most skaters, the best way to learn is from another slalom skater - there's nothing like watching someone else. I don't know of any slalom skaters in your area, but I do get down there once or twice a year as my brother lives in Westlake Village.

If you are in the right place at the right time, you can take a class from someone like Naomi - she's in the US in June 2007 - San Francisco, Detroit and Philadelphia, and will be back in NY, Boston and Seattle in September 2007.

If you can, go to San Francisco this weekend, June 9 & 10th!

Like others posting here, I got started by taking Naomi's workshops (I've been to both the Intro to Freestyle and the Intermediate/Advanced Freestyle). I highly recommend her - she's an excellent instructor. Once you've learned the basics, it's easier to teach yourself more tricks.

Stacy teaches a weekly class on Saturdays in the Seattle area and has some weekend workshops planned - reply if you want more information.

That leaves the last option, teaching yourself from the trick videos. It's not easy to get started that way, but it's been done. There are many sites with videos, but these are probably the two best to get started:

Universkate.com (France)

munobal.net (Korea)

Joystick (Korea)

DomanSk8rs (Japan)

Cones - you won't find them in sports shops - here are three options:
Ikea cups
Starway Cones
Universkate cones
The Ikea cups are by far the cheapest of these options, but they can get trapped under you skate and they hurt if you fall on them. You can find other similar cups in many discount stores.

Doug

edit: added more links to videos

Last edited by dougp; June 7th, 2007 at 05:27 AM.
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #3
helptheskater

Doug, you are Awesome!

I'm not sure if I will be able to learn from Naomi, but the second link you gave me with all those videos is the best idea yet (it slows the video down so I can see exactly how its done). I will give it a try and see how it works out. I'm so excited.

Thank you very much for your help. I can't wait to learn!
helptheskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Davey_Speedstar

Check out the http://www.freestyleskaters.org/ site. It might help that their is a user in San Diego. I know it's over 100 miles from where you are, but at least it's not the other side of the world.
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
KeLLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by helptheskater View Post
Doug, you are Awesome!
Yes he is
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #6
dougp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeLLy View Post
Yes he is
Well, thank-you to both of you!

I forgot to put this link in last night - here's an Introduction to Slalom skating page I put together a few months ago. It may answer more questions. I also added a couple more links to trick videos in the posting above.

Here's what I would suggest to get started... download trick videos from Munobal to your computer so you can watch them lots. If you use a player like VLC Media Player you can play them in slow motion.

Find a smooth flat space to skate, get rid of your heel brake, and rocker your wheels. It will be unstable to start, but you'll get used to it. Do not go out and skate hills or streets with your skates set up this way until you are very confident!

Work on these tricks:

1. Fish
2. Snake
3. Cross
4. Back Cross

For Snake, Cross and Back Cross, practice leading with one foot, then work on leading with the other foot. Very soon, you will find a preferred side and weak side. Keep working on your weak side, but don't kill yourself and get discouraged - keep it fun!

Hint for all of these - you will want your weight back toward your heels going forward, and on the front of your feet going backward.

Once you can do a front cross and back cross, you are ready for

5. Crazy.

Start learning Crazy leading with your preferred side. After you get it down on one side, you can go back and work on your weak side. Crazy is the first "technical" trick for most skaters, and it's one that you'll learn a lot faster with help from someone.

About the same time you start working on:

6. One foot
7. Chap chap - and then,
8. Mabrouk

That should keep you busy for a while...

Doug
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #7
stacy

Naomi has also added a Phoenix workshop to her US visit in September.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #8
DrQuad

Default Slalom skating in Santa Monica

If you can make it to Santa Monica, we've been slalom skating most Sunday afternoons. We meet in the parking lot just north of Ocean Park, south of the Santa Monica Pier.

Some of us have been slalom skating for just ~6 months, but others are at an "expert" level. Most all of us can do tricks #1-6 on Doug P's list. Many of us regularly skate the Los Angeles Friday Night Skate (FNS) (www.fridaynightskate.org). IMHO, the FNS is the best place to meet other skaters and to learn about the So Cal skate scene.
DrQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #9
Vic

Thanks Brian You've answered before me.
helptheskater, join us at Santa Monica. I'm really interested to make our slalom team and ready to give free lessons . I'll be there this Sunday (10), from 12 to 4 pm approx. You'll see me there with the cones. Calabasas is not so far from Santa Monica, hope you'll join.

Everybody who is living near LA welcome.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #10
stacy

Oh cool! I'm very excited to learn that there are people doing slaloms in Santa Monica. I'm not sure when I'll be down in LA again, but I will have to budget an extra day or two and bring my skates. How many of you are there?

Hmm... maybe I should plan to visit Mom this summer....
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #11
Vic

It depends, not so much but... we are 5-6 maximum. As for me, I'm skating regularly if I'm not out of country and the weather is fine.

Stacy, let us know when you'll plan to go to LA, and I'll try to meet you in Santa Monica and inform all other guys. I'll be happy to get some new slalom tricks from you and share my experience
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #12
stacy

Hey!
I'm going to be down in LA from this Monday, the 17, through Christmas. Are you guys still getting together to skate? I'm pretty sure I'll bring my skates. It would be fun to meet you!
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #13
Vic

Yup! I'm still skating.
Read PM.
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #14
jojoman

i know this is a old post.

but below post is good, i will follow and see what happen 2 month later

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp View Post
Well, thank-you to both of you!

I forgot to put this link in last night - here's an Introduction to Slalom skating page I put together a few months ago. It may answer more questions. I also added a couple more links to trick videos in the posting above.

Here's what I would suggest to get started... download trick videos from Munobal to your computer so you can watch them lots. If you use a player like VLC Media Player you can play them in slow motion.

Find a smooth flat space to skate, get rid of your heel brake, and rocker your wheels. It will be unstable to start, but you'll get used to it. Do not go out and skate hills or streets with your skates set up this way until you are very confident!

Work on these tricks:

1. Fish
2. Snake
3. Cross
4. Back Cross

For Snake, Cross and Back Cross, practice leading with one foot, then work on leading with the other foot. Very soon, you will find a preferred side and weak side. Keep working on your weak side, but don't kill yourself and get discouraged - keep it fun!

Hint for all of these - you will want your weight back toward your heels going forward, and on the front of your feet going backward.

Once you can do a front cross and back cross, you are ready for

5. Crazy.

Start learning Crazy leading with your preferred side. After you get it down on one side, you can go back and work on your weak side. Crazy is the first "technical" trick for most skaters, and it's one that you'll learn a lot faster with help from someone.

About the same time you start working on:

6. One foot
7. Chap chap - and then,
8. Mabrouk

That should keep you busy for a while...

Doug
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #15
6ms

the videos on munobal are great, they show each trick from diffeent angles and then slows down as well
6ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Just4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ms View Post
the videos on munobal are great, they show each trick from diffeent angles and then slows down as well
+1
Just4c is offline   Reply With Quote