S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old October 30th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #1
AwkwardTurtle

Smile Are there anyone from the islands? Oahu perhaps?

Hello, long time, no thread, but here is one

My father just ordered me some seba highs (black/white) 243mm from Stacy at SkateCrazy, with some cones (green/orange). Right after she sent the paypal invoice to my father, I realized that I haven't asked her to rocker the wheels! I haven't had word from her yet, but I'm sure it's flat set up for all that I know, as default.

So here I am now, on a quest to find me some 76mm wheels (4, 85A) to rocker my skates that should be greeting my doorstep (actually downstairs by the lobby of my apt) with love. The love of that liner experience that everyone is talking about these days (on skatelog). The famous liner that I will dominate with my feet! >;D ... Yah. The thing is, where on earth am I going to find these wheels? And are they good quality? I've also heard that Seba wheels are somewhat different from other brands, as they have more of an edge down the center of the wheel for better control. Now I need to find wheels that are similar.. hurrr... T.T

I can't purchase these wheels off SkateCrazy because it'll be a lot more to spend for shipping (I think) and more of a hassle than just finding a store on Oahu that sells them. May anyone know what store sells inline wheels? I do know a few skate shops, but they're mostly inclined on boards (long and skate).

Thank you all for taking your time to read this.
-Koby
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #2
InlineLeo

Seba's slalom Hyper wheels (the default ones for Seba Highs) do have more ellipsoid profile (edge to the center), than most of other wheels, but the choice is more a matter of taste. For example, Seba's Gyro wheels for KSJ have more round profile, though they are also meant for slalom and also come in default setup. At beginners levels you probably won't notice any difference. You can even mix the ellipsoid profile wheels with rounded in one rockered setup. That will only affect the rate of wearing out (ellipsoid wheel wears off a bit faster). In any case, after a couple of sessions your wheel's profile will become trapezoidal no matter if they were rounded or ellipsoidal
InlineLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #3
GregT

Cool. Hope you enjoy the Seba Highs.

I generally buy Hyper 250 Pros (the harder orange ones, not the softer yellow ones). These hockey wheels work OK for slalom and don't wear out too fast. You can use them in combination with the Seba wheels (I have a Seba/Hyper 250 on my iGors right now). It works OK, though the Hypers have a wider profile than the Sebas.

Since Naomi has been teaching me more technical stuff, I have noticed the Hypers seem to flatten (squish) a bit when on one wheel. Therefore I'll probably have to find another wheel brand (perhaps all Sebas) soon. But the Hyper 250s should serve you just fine while you are learning all the flat, stylish tricks.

good luck!
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #4
InlineLeo

Hello, Greg
If you liked Hyper Pro 250 84a, check out Concrete +Grip 84a. These are the wheels of choice of most Hyper-inclined advanced slalom skaters in my country.
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Cowry

Yes, I like the concretes too! They are so much better then the pro 250 for slalom, so if you can get these: you should try them. And yes, it's a rounded profile, but that works fine with the ellipsoidial profile. Right now I'm trying the matter wheels, and they are ellipsoidial too. But since I do like a rocker, and I have a 219 frame, I now have the matters in the middle and my old concretes at the front and back. Obviously untill the matters wear off enough and I can put new ones in in the middle again: then I will have a proper matter set-up.
Cowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM   #6
GregT

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Unfortunately, you can't buy the Concretes nor the Matter wheels in the U.S.. We're pretty much the third world of the skating community now-a-days. Maybe I need to take a quick trip to the first world and smuggle some real wheels back in my suitcase.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #7
ManicStar
Slalomer

Hey, I've never actually posted on this forum before so, erm, hi...

I just thought I'd stick my 2p in for what it's worth. I'm an English slalomer, so we're pretty lucky when it comes to a choice of wheels and skates over here. If you can get hold of them, I'd highly recommend Gyros. They're nice and grippy, slide well and don't wear out too fast. The FR2 85A are what a lot of the folks down serpentine road use, myself included. The other good ones are the matters. Lovely for grip and speed, but rubbish for sliding.

As far as the hyper 250 goes, I think they're pretty good for slalom. Seriously slow though if you're into going fast, or street skating at all. I think the +Grip are a lot better. But then again I switched to Gyros from concretes, but I prefer the grip I get with them.
How much would you guys expect to pay for a full set of decent wheels there anyway? about $70?
ManicStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #8
stacy

Ah, sorry I forgot to reply to you Koby! I hope you got your skates and saw that I did rocker them before you bought new wheels. Also, shipping 4 wheels to HI is the same as shipping anywhere else in the US -- $4.85. They fit nicely in a Priority Mail small flat rate box.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #9
GregT

Thanks for the recommendation, ManicStar. Actually, SkateCrazy.net does sell the Gyro slalom wheels in the U.S.. Cost is $8/wheel. I might give them a try sometime.

However, they also sell the Seba Orange for $9/wheel. I like the Seba wheels, and, at 85A, they might last longer than they 83A Gyros. As I've not tried the Gyros, however, that might not be the case.

Anyone have an opinion of Seba Orange vs. Gyro Slalom?

BTW - Hyper 250 Pros generally run $6/wheel on the Internet or $8/wheel at the local skate shop.
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #10
InlineLeo

Seba Orange will last longer than Gyro. They will last longer than Gyro Slalom 83a, and in fact I'm pretty sure than any Gyro. Don't be misguided by "Slalom" marketing name. I know few Gyro user who uses these heels for slalom. Most of them prefer Alice wheels (84a). Here, Gyro wheels are usually chosen by skaters with lower weight, and less aggressive slalom skating. And Gyro team pro-riders
Also, the nominal hardness (83a, 84a, etc.) differs between manufacturers. Even within one manufacturer same nominal hardness can differ between production year of the same wheel. This year's all Gyro are way softer than previous, the same I heard about Hyper Concrete. Some manufacturers intentionally use their own hardness classification. And the most important: high hardness doesn't mean the wheel lasts longer.
Seba itself uses Gyro wheels for KSJ 2.0 rockered setup, branded as "KSJ". They looked like Eclipse to me, but I'm not sure. On a Chinese shop page I found they're 85a, but neither I believe it's true.
Gyro wheels are good, they have a lot of fans, notably sliders. They are also somewhat 15% cheaper than Hyper wheels here, and they are heavily marketed with season discounts. That make them quite competitive with Hypers.
Seba Slalom (Orange) (the ones that come with Seba High skates and similar) are a good choice for slalom. They are also produced by Hyper, by the way. But I don't know anybody who would buy them separately.