S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old July 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #21
wolfsbane902

Hi all, how does one do a crossover? I can do left leg over right crossovers, ie, i'm moving in a clockwise direction.

But I can't do right leg over left crossovers, partly because of the brake behind my right boot. but even after removing it, I still can't do the crossovers because my left foot totally 'sticks' to the ground and refuses to make a nice curve and then I trip.

If I don't trip trying to move my right leg over left, I'll trip cos my left leg refuses to move in a nice curve.

Help? I admit my left leg is extremely weak in leading, stuff I can do with my right leg in the lead (forward crossovers, spin stop, parallel turn, lunge turn) I can't do with my left no matter how hard I try.

I basically trip because I'm bad with my edges for the left foot.

I'm on inlines, btw.
wolfsbane902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #22
Jenne

This is funny because I'm having the opposite issue on quads! I can do right over left, but when I try left over right, my right leg sticks to the ground and i can't push like I should!

I've ordered outdoor wheels so I can practice opposite direction skating (rink never does opposite direction skating, which is weird, because my rink growing up always had at least one or two songs in reverse at every session.)
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #23
wolfsbane902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
This is funny because I'm having the opposite issue on quads! I can do right over left, but when I try left over right, my right leg sticks to the ground and i can't push like I should!

I've ordered outdoor wheels so I can practice opposite direction skating (rink never does opposite direction skating, which is weird, because my rink growing up always had at least one or two songs in reverse at every session.)
HAha I should so dig out my quads to try out!! But after doing inlines, quads is so hard for me cos I will always skate on the quad brakes and make me stumble.

I used to quad skate from when I was 9-10, then switched to inlines. I think my quads are still somewhere in the backroom!
Old July 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #24
phicoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsbane902 View Post
Hi all, how does one do a crossover? I can do left leg over right crossovers, ie, i'm moving in a clockwise direction.

But I can't do right leg over left crossovers, partly because of the brake behind my right boot. but even after removing it, I still can't do the crossovers because my left foot totally 'sticks' to the ground and refuses to make a nice curve and then I trip.

If I don't trip trying to move my right leg over left, I'll trip cos my left leg refuses to move in a nice curve.
Two exercises that may help:
1) Roll on two skates and then move the right skate forward and then when it is well in front of the left skate move it to the left crossing the left skate and then track back until the skates are next to each other again. Practice this until you can do it without thinking
2) Find a circle somewhere that you can trace. Put your left skate on the line and keep it there. Make short push strokes with the right skate. Learn to lean on the outside edge of your left skate and keep practicing until you can just go around and around without effort.

After that the crossover should come out naturally.
phicoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #25
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

to add an exercise to Phicoh...

If edges are an issue. Try skating solely on your outside edges (easiest on a straight away). Like as if you were EXTREMELY bull legged. Do this for awhile (minutes, laps, days or weeks until you really feel that you have a connection with your edges), then try leading with your left adding a slight lean if you will.

The circles will help a great deal!!

If you are skating clockwise it is natural that your crossovers with the left will be much more confident. My clockwise crossovers are clumpy since I primarily skate counter clockwise. I can do it...just isn't pretty yet.

ahhh... and bending you knees more than you think nec. will help too. If you bend the knees a bit deeper...more room is made for your break to sneak by without getting caught. SUPER hard to do with straight legs. Just a thought.

Good luck! It will come with practice.
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #26
slowsk8

Quote:
But after doing inlines, quads is so hard for me cos I will always skate on the quad brakes and make me stumble.
Just a thought, but if you're hitting the breaks on your quads you may be pushing with your toes on the inlines.
I just started skating quads for fun (at least I think it will be) and have no problem with the break, just feel like I'm falling backwards.
slowsk8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #27
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Quote:
HAha I should so dig out my quads to try out!! But after doing inlines, quads is so hard for me cos I will always skate on the quad brakes and make me stumble.
That's what dance plugs are for!

Or better still NTS plates. Got a hacksaw?

I skate inline, ice and quad - all stopless. The few times I've skated someone else's equipment I've just about killed myself multiple times tripping over the stops. But as slowsk8 says, especially during crossovers - it sure does alert one to toe pushing.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #28
wolfsbane902

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicoh View Post
Two exercises that may help:
1) Roll on two skates and then move the right skate forward and then when it is well in front of the left skate move it to the left crossing the left skate and then track back until the skates are next to each other again. Practice this until you can do it without thinking
2) Find a circle somewhere that you can trace. Put your left skate on the line and keep it there. Make short push strokes with the right skate. Learn to lean on the outside edge of your left skate and keep practicing until you can just go around and around without effort.

After that the crossover should come out naturally.
Thanks phicoh Iím already doing them but I trip so bad. Hahaha my instructor tried to teach me..and he knows im having a lot of trouble. Sometimes Iím almost there and I get happy, and THEN I trip again -,-

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatnsassy View Post
to add an exercise to Phicoh...

If edges are an issue. Try skating solely on your outside edges (easiest on a straight away). Like as if you were EXTREMELY bull legged. Do this for awhile (minutes, laps, days or weeks until you really feel that you have a connection with your edges), then try leading with your left adding a slight lean if you will.

The circles will help a great deal!!

If you are skating clockwise it is natural that your crossovers with the left will be much more confident. My clockwise crossovers are clumpy since I primarily skate counter clockwise. I can do it...just isn't pretty yet.

ahhh... and bending you knees more than you think nec. will help too. If you bend the knees a bit deeper...more room is made for your break to sneak by without getting caught. SUPER hard to do with straight legs. Just a thought.

Good luck! It will come with practice.
Yup I do clockwise more because my right leg is much better on edges than my left. Working on the anti-clockwise but ainít fun stumbling almost the entire time!! I can skate on one foot even on the left, itís those *censored* left foot edges I just canít get, lol.

Great tip on the bending knees more. I find it helps too, but trying to bend the knees and going on the edges at the same time, for the left foot, is like me trying tightrope walking blindfolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Just a thought, but if you're hitting the breaks on your quads you may be pushing with your toes on the inlines.
I just started skating quads for fun (at least I think it will be) and have no problem with the break, just feel like I'm falling backwards.
YES slowsk8 thatís exactly what my problem is!!! I donít know how that started, because I was quad skating for a year and it shouldnít have developed in this way.

How do you skate properly in quads? Do you lean back more on the heels? Because say my boots measure 26.0cm, the wheels are only under 17.0cm of the boots so I hit the brakes VERY often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLace View Post
That's what dance plugs are for!

Or better still NTS plates. Got a hacksaw?

I skate inline, ice and quad - all stopless. The few times I've skated someone else's equipment I've just about killed myself multiple times tripping over the stops. But as slowsk8 says, especially during crossovers - it sure does alert one to toe pushing.
Iíve done ice as well, but the only way I stop is by crashing myself into the wall. I canít stop in quads and ice, fear of toppling over hahaha :X does T stop work for ice?

I toe-push a lot, yes..infact thatís what causes inefficiency in my inline skatingÖthe effort I spend does not correlate to the speed I actually go. Trying to push out more with all 4 wheels instead of just the toe, but tough!
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #29
slowsk8

Quote:
How do you skate properly in quads? Do you lean back more on the heels? Because say my boots measure 26.0cm, the wheels are only under 17.0cm of the boots so I hit the brakes VERY often.
You're asking me? Well OK how do I skate on quads. Poorly!
But not leaning back on my heels, but trying to keep my weight more even on my foot.
I have had a bit of trouble landing to much heel on my inlines lately, after trying quads just for fun one day I found that they make me land all wheels together better, so I bought a pair with improving my inline skating in mind.
slowsk8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #30
Armadillo

I only skate quads, and I tend to roll with too much weight on the front wheels, especially outdoors, where this can really bog down your speed and make you stick more easily when the surface goes rough.

My best outdoor rolling efficiency is when I have my weight distributed at about 40% on the front axle and 60% on the rear axle.

To improve your anti-clockwise crossovers, I advise doing very slow circles, while keeping your weight mostly on the left leg, and doing slow cycle pushing with the right, while maintaining most of the weight on the left.

Think of yourself as an outrigger canoe, with your body in the hull of the canoe (weight over left leg) and your right leg as the "outrigger" going in and out to propel you forward.

Keep your weight mostly on the left skate and fairly equally distributed across wheels front to back. Mentally try to feel the floor coming up through all wheels.

By repeating this for several minutes at a time, you will build up better left leg strength, stability, balance, and edge rolling/turning skill. Then you can begin to lift the right "outrigger" leg from the floor between pushes.

Eventually you can transition to alternating feet down on the floor.

At that stage, work on your placement of the left foot down to the floor so that it touches immediately on the outer edge and at the proper lean angle for the circle you are tracking.

Also work on getting it down directly below the focus of your arriving weight, so that this arriving weight does not force a lean shift of the skate away from the angle at which you initially placed it.

Soon you will be confidently steering around the anti-clockwise circle with only the left foot down and able to begin reaching across with the right foot to the fully crossed position, without tripping up.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; July 10th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #31
phicoh

Quote:
Thanks phicoh Iím already doing them but I trip so bad. Hahaha my instructor tried to teach me..and he knows im having a lot of trouble. Sometimes Iím almost there and I get happy, and THEN I trip again -,-
Break it down into smaller components. Tripping over is a waste of time.

Go as far as you can without tripping and practice that until you can do it while
sleeping. Then go a little bit further, etc. Try too much at the same time and it becomes hit or miss. And you make slow progress.
phicoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #32
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Here's a joke I found on another forum. I'm sure you can adapt the details to suit

Q. How many skateboarders does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. One, but it'll take him 100 tries.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote