S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #81
Vyolet

Small update: Boots arrived in Amsterdam yesterday and going through customs, hopefully fast.
That will depend on if they find it a "curious" or "odd" package somehow or not.

Really, Really, Really hope they will arrive today.
And if not, I hope they will come friday and not making me wait a weekend!

I hate this waiting
Want to get appointment for plating asap.

Now if you excuse me, I have to hit refresh again on the tracking, and check the mailbox with foam on my mouth, just in case.
Vyolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #82
Rattybabe
Baby Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyolet View Post
Now if you excuse me, I have to hit refresh again on the tracking, and check the mailbox with foam on my mouth, just in case.
I know that feeling well!

Sadly, things take about a week to get through customs here in the UK - I hope it's quicker in Holland!
Rattybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #83
Vyolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattybabe View Post
Sadly, things take about a week to get through customs here in the UK - I hope it's quicker in Holland!
... a WEEK?
They cannot take this long here, they just can't, it would be inhuman!
Aussie mail site said it would take 3 to 7 workdays to deliver... that would be between now and friday.
And I actually work for a postingservice, but since Holland has some different ones I don't know which one they will use, and I can't set up a trap to get them sooner :<

Going to visit a scrimmage on sunday, if I don't have them then I will be constantly reminded...the agony...
It would be both healthier for me and my guy that has to live with me, that they arrive.
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #84
Rattybabe
Baby Zebra

USPS said mine would take 3-5 days to get here - they did, but sat in customes for nearly a week, so from shipping to my door actually took 10 days!

But the UK is generally inefficient about everything - I'm sure Holland is much more organised!!
Rattybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #85
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
USPS said mine would take 3-5 days to get here - they did, but sat in customes for nearly a week, so from shipping to my door actually took 10 days!

But the UK is generally inefficient about everything - I'm sure Holland is much more organised!!
Tell me about it - my recent delivery from Aus was stuck in customs for over a week then I had to pay VAT on it despite it being a gift! (and a handling charge from Parcelforce)...

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #86
Salamanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post
Tell me about it - my recent delivery from Aus was stuck in customs for over a week then I had to pay VAT on it despite it being a gift! (and a handling charge from Parcelforce)...
Anything over 20 can potentially be charged import duties and taxes even if marked "gift" over here
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #87
Vyolet

Every Express delivery has transport costs extra for paperwork etc fast, probably will be 16 euro extra. And I got the chance for a VAT bill arriving with that. Sucks, but will be worth it, mind will only focus on the boots not those last bills for em

Woke up this morning ar 5.30 (no alarm set) to check tracking.
They are in process for delivery, since 20:30 last evening, so I think customs let them through *little dance*
And I think that wil be today or tomorrow. *camp mailbox*

Considering that, I also send a mail to the Belgium shop for an appointment and a list of what else I would like next to plates/mount.
Talked the bf into getting a cheap package too so we can skate/train outdoor together, hoping for a rebel package if his size is available. Then I can steel the good (better) bearings of those for me indoor and have a backup emergency indoor wheel set spare. He doesn't mind since he would go outdoor only probably.

Just hope they have some knee protection that fits me, me and my darn legs :<
Hate pants shopping for same reason...

Last edited by Vyolet; June 14th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #88
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

You should have told me you needed knee pads, I have a brand new pair of bright red Destroyers, and a pair of Smiths Scabs elbows that could have all gone in a box together!
Old June 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #89
Vyolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
You should have told me you needed knee pads, I have a brand new pair of bright red Destroyers, and a pair of Smiths Scabs elbows that could have all gone in a box together!

Doh. Well the elbow pads aren't a problem to get I think, they have a basic TSG set that would probably fit my wrist/elbow and my bf will take the knee ones since I don't think those would fit. And he has received a set for wrist/elbow protection from a friend.

My legs/knee size would probably be the biggest issue.
Hope I don't have to get custom made ones, that would cut the budget.

Those destroyers might have fit, not sure at all if I look at their size chart, but oh well, too late for it now anyway isn't it?
And might have even needed to bring out extra velcro and needle and thread on em... and possibly on others too :<
So rationally thinking, too bad for me, red is not a teamcolor, and it might have gone over 150 value then (shipping costs counts too) so they bring on the big extra bills at customs/vat/etc. And those get really nasty!

update: NOT amused, I spend the whole day at home with ears fixated on doorbell and what do I find at my doormat? A note that they rang and I was not at home? What the... >:-( Now I have to wait for tomorrow after 16:00 to pick it up at a post-office. *sigh*
Worst part being, the slackers are the post company I actually work for on weekends. I will kick that delivery guys ass when I figure out who had this shift... I am 100% sure he did NOT ring my doorbell.

Last edited by Vyolet; June 14th, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #90
Vyolet

I picked them up today, of course the bf needed the car today for work so had to cycle 30 mins to and from the shop. And naturally this is Holland, so pouring rain and even some hail soaked me to the bone. But the box was nice and dry in a bag and I got the boots <3

With a very special thank you to Big Nick!!

And they don't just fit, but they fit like a glove.
Snug but not too snug, the width is perfect even for my wide feet and I am very curious how (and if) the breaking in will feel.
Do have to get used to the laces that go to my toes, but I am absolutely in love with them

They really slipped through customs easy, no VAT bill!
And because I complained to my boss about them leaving a not-at-home-note for the delivery while I was clearly at home, no extra bill for special transport either.

And I feel like a kid at her birthday.

Cannot wait to get them mounted up, hope the shop replies soon.
Asked if Tuesday would be ok with them, fingers crossed!
And might need to find some purple laces for em that are a little bit longer.
Some pictures until then:

(Sorry if they turned out big, but photobucket was not cooperating)
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #91
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Very happy that you got them mate, even happier that they fit well!
Hopefully you can get them mounted up soon.
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #92
KMA

Those look real nice. I'm glad they got there safely.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #93
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyolet View Post
But the box was nice and dry in a bag and I got the boots <3

With a very special thank you to Big Nick!!

And they don't just fit, but they fit like a glove.
Snug but not too snug, the width is perfect even for my wide feet and I am very curious how (and if) the breaking in will feel.
Do have to get used to the laces that go to my toes, but I am absolutely in love with them

And I feel like a kid at her birthday.

Big Nick popped some stickers in too I hope! They're from my league and I thought you like them. So glad these boots went to you, once they're all set up you'll be the envy of your league

(if you find they are a little stiff cause of the counters don't despair- just work the leather and they'll be fine)

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #94
Vyolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Australis View Post
Big Nick popped some stickers in too I hope! They're from my league and I thought you like them. So glad these boots went to you, once they're all set up you'll be the envy of your league

(if you find they are a little stiff cause of the counters don't despair- just work the leather and they'll be fine)

Jup he popped some stickers in too and I like them a lot!
One got a spot on the cover of my fav sketchbook, others I'll save up for other premium spots.

And I grew up with horses so not new to polishing and caring for leather , there was always something that needed (lots of) work!
These boots will get premium care, next to my drawing tablet, these boots are probably the most cherished things I own at the moment.

I don't see any major issues for breaking them in yet. (Hope it stays that way )
Fingers still crossed the shop will give green light for Tuesday last minute, no reply yet...
All the more hyped to get them rolling and get training after the awesome bout I saw today!

Also, the Belgium team was partly on Rollerbones, those seemed to roll like heaven.
Old June 18th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #95
samimahmood

Quote:

Inefficient AND we generally get financially raped!!!
samimahmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #96
Vyolet

If all goes to plan next Wednesday will be mountingday!
Can't wait!

Had a small dip when I had no reply from the shop and the plates went out of stock yesterday.
But got mail today and fresh load will arrive Monday or Tuesday <3 Yay!

Edit 25/6 : Is it Wednesday yet?

Last edited by Vyolet; June 25th, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #97
Vyolet

Default So, today was the day !

Finally today was here, been agony to wait, but it happend!

They roll so smooth I noticed how odd my flooring is atm, so excuse the fingers
(hope photobucket wants to cooperate with the sizes, seems to vary each time I refresh?)

Sure-Grip xl 95
Aluminium Avengers - short forward
Abec 7 bearings (where the cheapest ones, reserved for outside use only in my case)
Radar Zen 85A outdoor wheels in bright Purple

Team hopes to have a indoor venue between 3 and 5 weeks, then gonna get me some rollerbones koi or snake when finances allow it.
My guy ordered a rebel package with Qube Juice bearings and Fugitives. I will be free to steel those, since he only wants to roll along with me outdoors a bit for fun and motivation
So backup wheels for me that I can use untill budget allows RB.

I'm so happy <3
Hope to find some time left today somewhere to roll em <3

Bank account didn't like this trip, but oh well
Also got same wheel set in black for bf, basic TSG protection set, helmet, skate tool, speed cream, bearing cleaner jar thingy for 8 bearings, stuff like that ticks along nicely. And ordered some xl sized 187 pro knee pads, they only had up to L in stock. Others just did not fit right, can use the basic ones that JUST fit till those are in, but that fit just won't do in the long run. The bf will take those fulltime if mine arrive, he fitted those nicely.

I can only roll my eyes at what I first thought this was gonna cost me, but in the end I'll be happy I did it.
Don't have to throw away some otherwise bought R3's now paired with that frustration.
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #98
Poobah

Quote:

The problem is that your gov't sees the USPS riding around on their Pony Express horses and starts trying to impress them as sailors to help fight the French under laws enacted before the War of 1812.

God save the King!
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote