S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
CanadianCowbell

Default Skater weight

So I am in the process of looking for a pair of skates (chalk me up as a beginner). Here is the issue though, I am a *big* girl (hover around 300-330lbs). I have been doing tons of reading and have realized that to get the best bang for my buck that I will need to go for a custom pair but I am getting hung up on plates.

Discussing the matter with a shop here in the province let me know that I am going to go for aluminum plates but the "which one" is where I am getting stuck. I want to be able to spend the least possible amount of money but only expect the plates to last me 6-9 months. What would you recommend I read up on and what should I avoid? I already plan on getting a nice pair of plates next year.

Also who makes the largest possible knee pads on the market?

I know I can't be the first *big* girl who wants to get into skating but finding information that works for my needs is frustrating.
CanadianCowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
HK47
Roll Player

What kind of skating do you envisage doing?

You could get Sure-Grip Competitors or Invaders through rollergirl.ca - those are both tough yet cheap plates, and can perform well if you get them with inverted kingpins and super cushions (or in the case of the latter, in DA45 form).

Not sure what else really competes with them at the low end of the market, on your side of the Atlantic, for durability TBH!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
skate mech

The competitors are great to learn on. Very Durable. We have a girl here who is around your size and she's been on them for just about a year. She is currently upgrading and may be willing to sell her competitors. At your weight, foot comfort will be a priority. You can use just about any footwear that you find comfortable for your first skate setup. I'll recommend against any of the low end skate boots available because you will not be happy with how long they last.

I was just in Kamloops at a bootcamp where I was hosting a class on skate info, how they work etc. Feel free to PM me with any questions about custom setups.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #4
arcadefreaque

I was WAY over your weight when I started skating over a year ago. I started out on Roll Lines (variants are pretty cheap), but also had a pair of Invaders shortly thereafter (a tad cheaper).

I started with XL Protec pads Ė the pull on kind with straps. The top strap would stretch far enough, but the bottom would not, so I extended it with a bit of Velcro Ė however having the pull-on style meant that even if the straps came loose due to them barely reaching, they didnít fall off (and I rarely noticed if the strap came loose). Iíd stay away from pads that donít pull-over the knee, as the straps are likely to pop loose and youíll appreciate not having them fall off.

Iím about 80ish lbs under you now and I still love the Roll Lines (never bent or busted anything on em - moved to the softest cushions though), and cheapie pull-on Protec pads are still my goto.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
CanadianCowbell

Thanks for the replies. I currently am looking for outdoor with going for derby down the road. It is interesting to hear the competitor because when I first decided to get a pair of skates I wrote the staff at rollergirl and they recommended the rebel competitor skate (with different wheels). I was going to go for those but have been thinking of going for a different boot.

This would be so much easier if there was a shop close by so I could actually hold these items in my hands as opposed to reading about them online. Anyone know of any shops in southern Alberta? Does rollergirl have an actual storefront in Vancouver?
CanadianCowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCowbell View Post
Does rollergirl have an actual storefront in Vancouver?

Yes she does.

RollerGirl Roller Skates‎
185 E 11 Ave
Vancouver, BC V5T 2C1
(866) 900-7655

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
fierocious1

If you are later going into Derby or thinking about it get the d/a invaders. If that is not what your goal is, get competitors if you think you will be doing dance moves.
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Bondagekitten
Trainee Derby Ref

I was around 300 when I first started (on r3's the flex was horrible) but soon switched to invaders which I would still have if I'd got on with the boots I had them on, I found it easier to sell the boots with the plates still attached so am now on an al avenger which is just a little more than an invader for cost but lighter too. I can't see me changing plate again for derby.

I'm back up to around 266 now and wear large 187 killer pros with open patella wrap gaskets underneath due to bad knees, I had the 187 large gaskets but they were much smaller than the knee pad and rolled down a lot on me. I have protech slip on ones too but the padding is not enough for derby, I'm not even keen on them for outdoors where I don't do intentional falls and if I take a knee I do it very slowly.

Get as good a fitting boot as you can and protect your knees if your going towards derby. You may find that you don't want to change up plate if you get a good deal just now. I know nothing about the competitor plate but for outdoors if you go for an avenger/da45 invader then get nice insoles for your skates, I use sorbathane double strikes and it made the world of difference to me in reducing the vibration through the plates. No matter what you skate on outdoors you will feel vibration from the ground a lot more than indoors. I was toying with getting a cheap pair with nylon plates to reduce it for outdoor but have decided against it till I get my weight much further down remembering flex hell from not good plates.