S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #81
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
I have a set of 5x84s that I can send your way. They are just taking up valuable utility room space (not my words).
I'd be more than willing to purchase them from you. Contact me at my garbage address boazehud@yahoo.com and we'll swap email addresses. Thanks, Jon.
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #82
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

replied to.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #83
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
I can't compare to other frames that are 5x80 but I use the Mogema crosstrainer 5x80 frame.
The one we're rolling on is a Mogema as well, I don't know what the model is. (My guess is it won't be long before the Sultan of Skate tells us though)
Quote:
Bearings... get the best you have a long way to go!!!
I'm running Bones Swiss 6 right now, Napalm is on BSB micro's. Although we have several sets of cheapy ABEC 7's we use, lately we've been inclined to stick with the "finer" pieces.
Quote:
Next year what I want to talk to you about is going to Idaho and skating that trail. The thing I don't like about the A2A is you skate with car traffic. Don't forget I'm old.
That being the 174 or so mile skate that SheSk8 touts, I'm all over it!
JB
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #84
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
JB
Yes, Dougp (on this board as well) is sort of the main organiser.
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #85
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Tuesday, did some hard miles with a few training buddies at Dyer. Had 2 drag races from standing start, about a mile long. My reaction was a bit too slow the first time, so 2 of them got away pretty quick, but I was not too far behind all the time. I thought I could attack uphill later, but my leg was so tired that I could only maintain the distance.

The second time, did got a good start, and stayed 2nd until the end.

Wednesday, did a few miles, mostly low to moderate intensity......

The race is less than 4 days away....... kind of excited and worried about it.....
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #86
dougp

Quote:
JB
Quote:
Yes, Dougp (on this board as well) is sort of the main organiser.
Hi Mark, Jon & CM,

The Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes is 72 miles across northern Idaho. It's a great trail, scenic, with very little traffic, and smooth (except for skattered gavel). For the past three years a bunch of skaters have met there on the Fourth of July weekend. This year we had 42 skaters from several states and Canada. It's kind of taken on a life of it's own now, but I'll continue to make arrangements along with shesk8 and others. Groups of skaters meet up in the morning, pick a starting place, and go skate as much as they want, maybe 30 - 50 miles a day. We typically don't skate it end to end, but you could. This year a woman in our group skated 62 miles on Saturday and 72 miles on Monday (and skated or bicycled the other three days, too).

Doug
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #87
speedysktr
President of Everything

Aug. 16th 10 miles pulling the kids in the chariot. Expect an easy roll tonite to wrap things up. We fly out Sat. morning.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #88
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
The one we're rolling on is a Mogema as well, I don't know what the model is. (My guess is it won't be long before the Sultan of Skate tells us though)
It's the green one.
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #89
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

See Code! I told you there'd be answers.

Dougp - Thanks for the cap. As far as the scattered gavels goes though, are there a lot of deposed judges in the area? I hope they weren't skating and that's all that's left of them after the coyotes were finished. Going to have to figure on two more bodies next year I guess, but CM worries me a little because he'll probably want to do the full length, and in one day, and at a heart rate under 30. JB
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #90
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
... and in one day, and at a heart rate under 30. JB
...with a posse of doe eyed coeds orbiting him reminding him that he really is doing the dp.
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #91
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Sick puppies, that is what you all are. But I'd have to show up just to see the freak show And it is so close that it would be hard not to justify it.
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #92
speedysktr
President of Everything

Mark, I PMed you.
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #93
Pepper Montana

Woohoo! another personal best on the hilly loop. Short skate but intense. Did the seven miles in 28:24 and cut over 30 seconds off yesterday's mark. I am seeing that the refinements in technique are really making a difference. I don't know really that they are refinements... More like renovations, something more extensive. The fixes are working.

Oh yeah, heard a jet and looked up into the blue to see a heron soaring down to the lagoon. It made my heart sing! Auspicious? It felt that way.

No more skating until Sunday morning... I can't wait! This is going to be great!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #94
Pepper Montana

CodeMonkey,
I have been meaning to say thankyou for the nutritional and other advice. It has made a huge difference this summer. One Sunday while the forum was down I did 3 1/2 hours of cardio.(It was two hours of skating and 90 minutes of biking at high intensity.) That was huge for me. The next day I didn't have any "issues" or soreness. That would be the glutamine helping the recovery. Good stuff! thanks for the help!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #95
mikeyb

Mark, love the pictures of the Eddy camp. Looks like an intense edge control training session. Did you learn substantially new things or was this more another take on a lot of drills you perhaps learned with your club?
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #96
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
... And it is so close that it would be hard not to justify it.
5-6 hours tops I'm guessing, not sure exactly where you are in WA. 29 hours for me, whew. With that many skaters it really sounds like a blast. Surely, Code will release a half dozen or so of his coeds for us to flirt with.
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #97
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
5-6 hours tops I'm guessing, not sure exactly where you are in WA. 29 hours for me, whew. With that many skaters it really sounds like a blast. Surely, Code will release a half dozen or so of his coeds for us to flirt with.
Hmmm....

"Oh Honey..."
"Yes?"
"I'm going to Idaho...for the weekend..."
"Why?"
"Skating..."
"Who will be there?"
"Guys from the skating forum."
"Why are you shaving??? and cutting your hair???"
"Oh, nothing..."
"Who else is going to be there?"
"Just a handful of cute coeds from Texas...Owww! Ouch! Arrrgghhh!"

Can we just imagine it? It might be safer

It would be about 8 hours for me.
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #98
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
Mark, love the pictures of the Eddy camp. Looks like an intense edge control training session. Did you learn substantially new things or was this more another take on a lot of drills you perhaps learned with your club?
Thanks!

One of the downsides of our team is that we do not do enough drills.

My first real instruction in skating was last years Eddy clinic. This year I felt more confident, but still I could barely do half the stuff he had us do. So for the next few weeks I'm starting back at first principles. I can now glide for 50m, in the semblance of a straight line, on my left skate in an ampersand position. My right skate I roll off the outside edge and shoot off to the side after about 3m And don't get me even started on RH cross overs... I can fake a LH one but I'm all over the map on a RHer.

I can now appreciate how Eddy was teaching us and what the drills are meant to accomplish.
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #99
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeJoWa View Post
It's nice to see this familiar little skating world keep zipping along.

Aug 12
Watched excellent race videos twice, thrice, and in slow mo.

Twiddling my thumbs, hoping for the rain to go away.
in watching the "Course Open (premiers tours)" section of this race, i find it amazing and instructive at how the majority of skaters (most importantly) have no underpush, and (of lesser concern) don't efectively draft or work with their pace lines at all, while at the same time, the camera/motorcyclist races up to the lead pack and viola! - smooth, efficient, underpush and effective paceline work. Watching these skaters without an underpush- it just looks painful, or at the very least, tiring to start the outpush from a position in line with the same shoulder.

That;s one thing i like about speed skating - the notion and realization that significant break-throughs are only one stride away. Your skating is only as good as your current stride, though you have every chance in the world to pull it all together in 3 seconds as you take your next...

Some (gbo) describe the bliss of skating for them. For me, it's more about exhilitration that comes from being in the moment of a well executed stride, the resultant rush of precarious speed, and the necessity to keep this mad dash somehow under control and modulated so that i can maintain it.

thanks for posting the links to these videos, can't wait to watch the rest of them later.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #100
speedysktr
President of Everything

Mark, mark, mark, try again, buddy.

Quote:
"Oh Honey..."
"Yes?"
"I'm going to Idaho...for the weekend..."
"Why?"
"Skating..."
"Who will be there?"
"Guys from the skating forum."
"Why are you shaving??? and cutting your hair???"
"Oh, that, we're going to church on Sunday"
"Who else is going to be there?"
"Nobody really, just a handful of middleaged skaters and a few lesbians"
"Oh, by the way here's that insert name of gift here you've been wanting, I mean, you've been great and I felt like you deserved it and I didn't want to wait all the way till christmas, I almost don't want to go cause I'll miss you so much. Have you lost weight?
"