S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #221
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Slip & Slide Adult night

Our evening of adult rolling was punctuated with warnings from management about the slippery floor. They were in the process of prepping the floor for a new coat of urethane. They had sanded all the old coatings off at each end of the rink. You could get grip on the straight a-way, but don't attempt to power through the corners. Oh well, I guess all progress requires some sacrifice. I will keep a set of softer wheels in the car next week(just in case).

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #222
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Thurs & Fri @ Moonlight

Hadn't skated for over a week and decided to go Thursday to Moonlight. Pretty decent crowd. I was a little off in my skating but all in all, pretty good. Decided to go again Friday. Pretty crowded. It was crowded enough to keep me switching from backward to forward a lot. Too crowded with too many skaters doing random things. There was 2 groups of teen boys falling while goofing around and when not, so keeping a eye on them kept me busy. Good night for people watching though. A couple of goofy female pairs as well. At times, one could not tell if they were trying to hold each other up, or take one another down as they did their laughing screaming gyrations. I had to maneuver around fallen skaters quite a few times. It was easy to miss their fallen bodies, but I also had to watch for fingers at the end of outstretched arms of the fallen. It thinned out by half mid way through the session, and that STILL left plenty of skaters on the floor. It was all good with me as this was day 2 in a row skating. So I was not craving a lot of room to skate hard backwards. 2 good nights skating.
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #223
WaterCityJammer

My local rink in Vancouver exceeded expectations last night. The floor was clean and the music was fairly decent. I stuck around to watch a derby bout after. Those girls are crazy!
WaterCityJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #224
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default FV Sunday night

Fountain Valley sunday night sucked. Totally. I walked in with a little pep. It drained from me in 5 minutes. Plus my feet kept hurting. I got that some Thurs and Fri. Today was worse, and I had a day off. So the foot pain made no sense. Other than, the mood sucked so much in the room, things that hurt a little hurt MORE. I also heard that Thursday at FV has been bad. I guess derby has finally killed adult skating at FV.
Old March 15th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #225
isobelsk8

Default Minnie Mouse can skate

Friday night was Disney night at my local rink so whipped up a polka dot skirt, I got my ears on and went skating. It was great fun! It was a nice packed rink with enough kids to dodge and also enough good kids and adult skaters to make for a great vibe. Highlights would have to be skating along to Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen with several disney princesses, a cheshire cat and the best costume of the night, Captain Jack Sparrow. I didn't stop smiling all night and got my cardio workout during a solid speed skate (with minnie ears firmly in place).

isobelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #226
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Kids say and do the darnest things

I'm all smiles after skating with the younger set. It is entertaining to watch them as the strive to roll around the floor. The tiny girl waving her arms in sync to the music, the boy racing around the rink as fast as possible, and the parents with sore backs from bending over to help keep their children on their skates. But most of all, kids are just cute. One young lady(5 or 6) tried to get my attention after I had done some skate maneuvers. I leaned down to her level to hear her say, "not many old people can skate".

Today, while resting during a rink activity, a little girl asked if she could show me something. "OK", says I and she proceeds to stick out her tongue and make it touch her nose. Note to self: be careful what you agree to unless you know what it is ahead of time.

Fun times: Keep rollin
Old March 17th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #227
jbgerman

[QUOTE=rufusprime99;679618 I guess derby has finally killed adult skating at FV.[/QUOTE]

How do you mean this?
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #228
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Would be an Interesting Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
How do you mean this?
Yes jbgerman it would be an interesting edit to his post.

In my experience mostly derby gals coming to adult skating are OK, and I like them at session. YET if an entire sub team (12-20 good gals) comes to adult night like another practice session and starts doing their moves w/o the skate guards stopping them o-o then it can cause a problem for some adults who feel intimidated. Again don't know, and it would be interesting to learn from a Session Mini Blog perspective.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #229
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Great post isobelsk8. I like Come on Eileen too. Don't hear it much anymore, but it is a goodie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
How do you mean this?
Skater suck. Experienced, advanced skater suck. They get sucked into derby and forget about session. FV used to have a GREAT advanced adult skate. Well, it was not advanced by definition, but plenty of advanced skaters used to come. Now, barely any. Lost quite a few as coaches and players. Most people say derby is good for session where they are. Not here. You get a few people practicing skating, the occasional group of 10, very rare, coming to session. But by and large, they took away skaters. Bad for session.
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:26 AM   #230
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Texting & skating

I wonder, has anyone else had problems with skaters texting and running into others because they were not watching the path they were on? It was close, but I managed to stop and avoid a teen busy with her phone as she texted her friends. I also witnessed a really bad accident on the floor. A tall father helping his little 6/7 yr. old girl. The little girl fell face up on the floor. Father tired to hold her up, but not steady enough and he lost his balance and fell right on her chest. I don't know what condition she was in after that, but I hope the parents have her checked out.

Overall - it was a great session (with the exception of the accident). Hope she is OK.

Keep rollin(color me not smiling / color me concerned)
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:09 AM   #231
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Wrong Rink

Friday skate, wrong rink. Skated tonight at Fountain Valley. It felt weird. I usually skate Fridays, when I skate Fridays at Moonlight. Been doing that 5-6 years. But that a-hole dj at moonlight finally got to me.

Some old guy, friend of the owner best as I can tell. He is an intrusive moron. Aside from parking, he is the biggest negative at the rink. Any rink. I cannot think of any rink anywhere where ONE PERSON had such an universally negative effect on a rink. Always blathering over the PA and doing stupid things.

Used to be on an adult night, or any night, the advanced backward skaters would skate. Then when the beginners were on, some advanced would help them. No problem for some time. Then, a couple STUPID advanced figured they could just skate ANOTHER backward skate. Well moron-boy went ballistic screaming you can't skate both. And that went for us advanced who were doing a great service to beginning or visitor skaters to better enjoy their visit at the rink. Moron boy put an end to that. Lacking the minute sense to have the floor guards remove the skaters and leave the helpers alone, he hit everyone.

Countless adults have been brought to rage by this idiot.

So, anyway. Skated FV. Not my rink. Even when FV WAS my rink, it never was on a Friday. Thursday and Sunday were my days. Now I seldom go any day. All because of a moron. A guy who should be locked in a closet, not inflicting himself on people who simply want to skate and have a nice time.

It was kinda ok actually. A generally better level of kid, big kid, tween and teen skaters. Not a lot of beginners, but some. Definitely more advanced kid skaters. But still, it felt weird. It was not my Friday night home. Some of the teens and tweens I have been watching for years, growing up at the rink. Seeing them Friday by Friday. *Sigh*.
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #232
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Kids - some love them / others not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
I loved skating with the little kids and their parents at Skateland for years...
It is beginning to look as if Dave (I'm a Dave 2) and I are among the very few who like to skate with the tikes. Sure, they do some crazy and dangerous things. But they are KIDS! I like the challenge and the opportunity to see a new crop of skaters. I had a few close calls today, but they were mainly caused by teens(not the tiny kids).

Hopefully, as adults we can set good examples and work with the kids to become better(especially help them learn safety). Maybe it is just the grandfather gene in me that affects my attitude toward the kids. Or it could be after helping raise five kids, I became more tolerant of them(self defense mechanism).

I heard one adult grumble and gripe about the session, but I enjoyed it.

Keep rollin
Old March 28th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #233
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thursday 27Mar2014 Skateland(Bradford, MA)

Hi ALL, Matt, Justin,

BTW It is fun to read all your posts, to just enjoy other skaters raves or gripes. I don't comment on purpose. And yes Gray I love the kids and teens. Wait, wait, I really love them. And I really love all the posts.

Anyway went back to Skateland, the best Adult place in the Greater Boston area with piles of Adults on adult skate night. I was actually disappointed by the change from when we first got started years ago.

Yes I saw a lot of my skate friends I have known for years, upon years. I did enjoy skating beside or following some of them.

In terms of numbers, the rink was quite full of adults. Yet in terms of space for fast wall chain skates the management still does not understand the outer lanes should be called out or marked to provide for faster skaters. An accident in the waiting, or did it happen tonight to one fellow that wanted to take himself to the hospital. Gosh he was in pain, pain after he chased away the medical team. I mean ribs and shoulder damage.

To skate fast at Skateland is now kind of dangerous for other skaters. And only small changes Marc P could make a difference in keeping the better adult skaters. And lessening the risk for re-beginner adults. Your choice Marc.

P.S. Yes PJmariner I saw you, yet the chain gangs were not so easy, and sometimes dangerous. Yet I will be Back

P.S-2 To be honest chasing or pushing only 2 40s maintenance guys at RollOn America on a Wednesday slow night skate was more Skate fun. Either one can burn my arches.

Edit-01: Ok Matt I read your note below. Yet if I compare this to skating with the teens on blades and quads, Skateland now, as Marc manages it, was more dangerous. I mean at Skateland you don't have InLiners doing jumps through the hole of two skaters, doing a spin to go backwards and continue skating. Yet Skateland now has piles of beginners and Marc does nothing to provide for the different talents of both groups. To me this is so simple to keep both groups safe. A speed lane call out from his vantage point on his perch. And Yes like you, and our buddy Mark from NH, I do love the travel around people at speed or moves, yet I strive not to hurt them. BTW that guy was hurt pretty bad (broken ribs, maybe a shoulder). I watched him pull himself together and strive not to cry as I was leaving. He couldn't even put his shirt on without pain.

In years before now, i mean years since we got started, I only remember one bad accident, with one of our buddy Speed InLiners trapped at the wall. Yeah a few minor ones, yet none major. One long time Adult gal told me this accident stuff is now common, which is bad.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 29th, 2014 at 03:27 AM. Reason: More on Safe Fast/Other Skating
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #234
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default Been that way lately...Not that I personally mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi ALL, Matt, Justin,

BTW It is fun to read all your posts, to just enjoy other skaters raves or gripes. I don't comment on purpose. And yes Gray I love the kids and teens. Wait, wait, I really love them. And I really love all the posts.

Anyway went back to Skateland, the best Adult place in the Greater Boston area with piles of Adults on adult skate night. I was actually disappointed by the change from when we first got started years ago.

Yes I saw a lot of my skate friends I have known for years, upon years. I did enjoy skating beside or following some of them.

In terms of numbers, the rink was quite full of adults. Yet in terms of space for fast wall chain skates the management still does not understand the outer lanes should be called out or marked to provide for faster skaters. An accident in the waiting, or did it happen tonight to one fellow that wanted to take himself to the hospital. Gosh he was in pain, pain after he chased away the medical team. I mean ribs and shoulder damage.

To skate fast at Skateland is now kind of dangerous for other skaters. And only small changes Marc P will make a difference in keeping the better adult skaters. Your choice Marc.

P.S. Yes PJmariner I saw you, yet the chain gangs were not so easy, and sometimes dangerous. Yet I will be Back

P.S-2 To be honest chasing or pushing only 2 40s maintenance guys at RollOn America on a Wednesday slow night skate was more Skate fun. Either one can burn my arches.
Hey Dave,

I was late last night, but due to the interlude for the injured, then not so injured skater I did not miss much.

A fair amount of new younger adults lately, but I have seen a fair number of them return as weekley, or bi-weekley attendees. I hope they keep coming because they are the future of adult skating along with the younger kids who stick with it and skate all the way into adulthood.

I also like crowds, gives me something to dodge, keeps it exciting, but your are right, for a train skate, you wind up wit a lot of de-railed trains. Always the challenge, the real newbies want to hug the wall.... certainly not the safest plan of attack.
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:40 AM   #235
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Opps, bang, ouch

Yup! Enjoying my weekly skating with the families and younger kids, then a little lady falls(next to me) and her skate hits mine and locks the wheels suddenly. The bang was my left knee hitting the floor. Two floor guards scooped me up from the floor and sat me down at the sideline. Sat there for a little while waiting for the sting to lessen. Then a two to three year old girl trundles by close to the rail(for moral support). Needless to say, that brightened my whole outlook. Skated for another 2 1/2 hours. This evening I am quite lame in the left knee area, but I will recover in time for adult night on Wednesday! It was a great skate session in spite of my spill.

Keep rollin
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #236
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Thumbs up 1 week later

Another family session today and it was great! I did make it to the Wednesday Adult skate, but not without problems. Last Monday after the fall I took, I couldn't walk unless I used a cane(that was a first for me). Tuesday was better and I retired the cane. Wednesday even a little better. Since I could walk, I skated the adult session(super). Had noticed pain(slight) in my rib cage, but a couple of days later I moved wrong and really aggravated it. Seems that I had sustained a bruised or cracked rib during the fall.

Note to self(& all older skaters): it is best to pad everything before the fall. I have since purchased knee and elbow pads(already was using wrist supports - thank goodness). Otherwise, might not be physically able to
Keep Rollin
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #237
larryoracing

Smile Well I finally figured out what this post is all about..LOL!

I have recently come back to skating..lol! I think I skated a little bit about 3 years ago, but I have never ever really got into skating after quitting 30 years ago.

So for the last three weeks, once a week on saturdays from 10:30PM to 2:300 AM I have purchased some used skates, synder Imperials, size 8 and hit the floor. Cerritos, Ca at Skate Depot. This rink will shut it doors in August sometime because the owner will not renew the lease.

We get a lot of people skating the adult session. I would say most people are african american. they all skate well. Yes the music is really loud, but in general I like the music because it has a beat, which I like, kind of a top 40 kind of deal.

Anyways, I had a lot of fun. Have you ever skated for Jesus? I decided to skate a few records for the good Lord. I think it helps me to become a better skater.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #238
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Larry the 30yr off - comeback skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I have purchased some used skates, synder Imperials, size 8 and hit the floor... Have you ever skated for Jesus?
Snyder Imperials (I like em - a lot) can be improved. DocSk8 talked about suregrip super cushions making Imperials (& Super Delux) handle better. I tried it and after settling on purple (85a), I converted all my skates to the super cushions and never looked back. Huge, Ji-normous improvement in the truck turning action.

Skating for Jesus? Not sure what that is, but thinking it means using Christian music to skate to. Have I done it? No, but one of our local rinks that I frequent has a Christian music skate one evening each month. I may go to see how it is!

Keep Rollin
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #239
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the post Graysk8ter.

I will have to try some of those purple (85a),Sure grip super cushions.

Skating for Jesus? Not sure what that is, but thinking it means using Christian music to skate to.

Nope, that is not what I meant

Have I done it? No, but one of our local rinks that I frequent has a Christian music skate one evening each month. I may go to see how it is!

Nope, what I meant is that I have devoted a large part of my life to Jesus, which really means I read the bible first before I do anything else. But what I mean is when you skate, you let God take you through your moves on skates rather than your own mind carrying you through the evening.

You pretend that God is directing your skating. Just a different perspective to get you through the night when you get tired.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #240
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
Note to self(& all older skaters): it is best to pad everything before the fall. I have since purchased knee and elbow pads(already was using wrist supports - thank goodness). Otherwise, might not be physically able to
Keep Rollin
You might also consider a football girdle: AKA, stretchy nylon shorts with padding. Mine have padding on the tailbone, hips and thighs. It is fairly slim and could fit under baggy pants. I am somewhat prone to knee injury, but not to general bodily injury. I know how to fall well and very seldom fall poorly. But when I was doing derby, the padded shorts were great.