S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 19th, 2019, 02:50 PM   #1
DesertWillow

Unhappy Need help with heeled skates and potential foot pain

I have foot issues, and can't wear shoes with heels (1/2" or more) or else I'm in pain. It's not a little pain, and it's not something that can be fixed with inserts as it has to do with my foot being at an angle while my holding up my weight (I can't walk or stand for long even in sneakers due to the same issue, but heels speed that process up exponentially).

I've always worn speed skates, which of course have a flat boot, and I can wear those for hours. But now that I'd like to get more into jam and artistic/rhythm skating, and just have more maneuverability when skating in general, I'm running into the issue of most (non speed or jam) skates having a heeled boot and I'm concerned that I won't be able to use them, as I'll have the same issue as when I try to wear shoes with a heel. This may be more of a question for the women of the forum - would you say wearing heeled skates is the same as wearing a heeled shoe in terms of weight distribution on your feet? Am I worried for nothing?

I have to order online (new or used). Our local rink doesn't sell skates and their rentals have a flat boot (pretty sure they're Pacer New Generation skates), so no help there.

Someone suggested I just put different wheels on my Riedell R3s, and I know they use the same plate for their artistic, rhythm, and speed skates so that sounds doable in theory. Is it? Although I do think I'd like a taller boot with more ankle support. And since my teen doesn't have her own pair of skates, I still need to buy a new pair because we can't keep sharing one pair and I am really tired of renting skates (she refuses to wear them, not that I blame her).

What I was thinking of doing was buying a used pair of jam skates and a used pair of artistic skates to get a feel for both without spending a lot. I don't know if I'll be able to jam skate because I have inner ear issues which = balance issues, but I won't be satisfied until I determine this for myself.

So if you were in my skates, what would you do? I very much appreciate any help. My budget is $300 or less, if that makes a difference. Also I've been skating for about 20 years, maybe longer, so definitely not a newbie.
DesertWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 05:42 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWillow View Post
I have foot issues, and can't wear shoes with heels (1/2" or more) or else I'm in pain. It's not a little pain, and it's not something that can be fixed with inserts as it has to do with my foot being at an angle while my holding up my weight (I can't walk or stand for long even in sneakers due to the same issue, but heels speed that process up exponentially).

I've always worn speed skates, which of course have a flat boot, and I can wear those for hours. But now that I'd like to get more into jam and artistic/rhythm skating, and just have more maneuverability when skating in general, I'm running into the issue of most (non speed or jam) skates having a heeled boot and I'm concerned that I won't be able to use them, as I'll have the same issue as when I try to wear shoes with a heel. This may be more of a question for the women of the forum - would you say wearing heeled skates is the same as wearing a heeled shoe in terms of weight distribution on your feet? Am I worried for nothing?

I have to order online (new or used). Our local rink doesn't sell skates and their rentals have a flat boot (pretty sure they're Pacer New Generation skates), so no help there.

Someone suggested I just put different wheels on my Riedell R3s, and I know they use the same plate for their artistic, rhythm, and speed skates so that sounds doable in theory. Is it? Although I do think I'd like a taller boot with more ankle support. And since my teen doesn't have her own pair of skates, I still need to buy a new pair because we can't keep sharing one pair and I am really tired of renting skates (she refuses to wear them, not that I blame her).

What I was thinking of doing was buying a used pair of jam skates and a used pair of artistic skates to get a feel for both without spending a lot. I don't know if I'll be able to jam skate because I have inner ear issues which = balance issues, but I won't be satisfied until I determine this for myself.

So if you were in my skates, what would you do? I very much appreciate any help. My budget is $300 or less, if that makes a difference. Also I've been skating for about 20 years, maybe longer, so definitely not a newbie.
Id give her your skates and get low top boots with decent plates. You seem to be ok with low top boots so no reason to change that. Get a pair of artistic plates that you think you need and put the setup together..... or go to Doc Skate and let him help you figure out your setup.
Old March 19th, 2019, 07:13 PM   #3
DesertWillow

Who is Doc Skate and where does one find him?
Old March 20th, 2019, 12:47 AM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Morton's neuroma

You are going to experience the same pain in an artistic boot as you do in any other footwear with an elevated heel.

When I was skating 3-4x per week I was beginning to develop a neuroma on my right foot.

I believe the Reidell 220 is a bit lower than most others. You can have the height cut down. I did so on my Reidell 336 boot.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old March 20th, 2019, 02:02 AM   #5
fierocious1

Quote:
Who is Doc Skate and where does one find him?
http://skatelogforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44
Old March 20th, 2019, 04:15 PM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Rythmn Skating/ Some Jam

OK,

In order to do most rythmn skating or even some Jam Skating you do not need a Heel. Tons of skaters that I know do Jam on Speed Skates. They are just set up as normal skates rather than the tight trucked Speed Skates.

Years ago when a Speed Skater let me try on his skates I thought I would kill myself. No Mobility and sliding to the left and right or funny stuff. I got those off fast. Nice young man and a good Speed Skater.

If you have someone, right next to you on the Skate Floor, they can probably show you how to have a different set up on a Flat Bottom Boot. 300$ is probably low for Doc Skate, yet Fred would be a good source of information since he has set up many other skaters for skates for the skating type that they prefer. Doc that last I knew does not do Art Skates so he is mostly a No Heel Skate Provider, so Again a good source of information.

Your in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Ta Ta For Now, and won't be back in awhile, Yet 3 notes and it has been fun.
Please No One e-mail me or Private me, I won't see it. Sorry
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:48 PM   #7
DesertWillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
You are going to experience the same pain in an artistic boot as you do in any other footwear with an elevated heel.

When I was skating 3-4x per week I was beginning to develop a neuroma on my right foot.

I believe the Reidell 220 is a bit lower than most others. You can have the height cut down. I did so on my Reidell 336 boot.

Sorry for the bad news.
Argh, that sucks, but thanks for confirming what I suspected.

Right now, it's looking like modifying my R3s would be my best option. I'm okay with that; I can just order my teenager her own pair of R3s since she really likes those, and she's not interested in any kind of jamming/dancing.... yet. She will be though. Mark my words lol. She's a freestyle dancer and it's only a matter of time before she realizes what fun it is to combine the two!

I assume a shoe cobbler would shorten the heel for me if I go that route. We might still have one in town (darn rural areas).

Or maybe I just buy a pair of jam skates. At least I have options.
Old March 21st, 2019, 01:53 AM   #8
Kwang soo Kim

Default Boen speed, special

Hello. I am looking for old Boen speed, special and so on. If you have a truck, a kingpin, a nut, a cushion, a clip, and a plate, please reply.
boen0111@naver.com
Kwang soo Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2019, 08:35 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
In order to do most rythmn skating or even some Jam Skating you do not need a Heel. Tons of skaters that I know do Jam on Speed Skates. They are just set up as normal skates rather than the tight trucked Speed Skates.
This ^

If your front axle is in front of the ball of your foot, what you should do is to get your front axle UNDER the ball of your foot. Front axles are usually in front of the ball of the foot. If the skate was intended for some outdoor use, it may be FAR in front of the ball of the foot. You will likely want to get a smaller plate. Perhaps a plate that will put the rear axle under the mid heel, and front axle under the ball. A 10 degree plate would be best. Plates with more action, 15, 20, 45, tend to be more unstable when doing single axle stuff.
Old March 26th, 2019, 12:46 PM   #10
The Rebel
Taking it back old school

Quote:
I assume a shoe cobbler would shorten the heel for me if I go that route. We might still have one in town (darn rural areas).

Or maybe I just buy a pair of jam skates. At least I have options.

Looks like the R3s have a two step heel on them.

A cobbler shouldn't have a problem removing one or both of them but you'll need to shorten the mounting bolts so they don't rub the rear wheels. I doubt that'll be hard, just tighten the nut and snap or cut off the excess after the heel is removed. I did it myself on my 695s, wasn't too hard.