S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 31st, 2009, 04:26 PM   #1
domsablos

Default So what is the point of Quads exactly?

Ive skated on inlines for years now, I came to it relatively late in life skating for the first time aged 25 progressing quickly to fairly hardcore street skating.

Last night i went to a roller disco and tried on some quads, upon which i feel less stable as its seems too easy to fall forwards onto the toe stops and the skates seem to have a mind of their own.

Now the turning circle, I've tried speed skates with better maneuverability! the only advantages I see in quads are.

a) Their easier to learn (i'll have to take your word on this)
b) your more stable when your not rolling?????

I'm not bashing quads here, but i'm honestly looking for someone to put me straight on this, what am i missing?
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
patience77

I think its all in what you started on. I have always skated quads and the thoughts of inlines or ice skates scares me silly. I have terrible standing balance but ask any one who knows me my balance on 4 rolling wheels is pretty good. Now if I had started out on inlines or ice skates I would probably be saying the same thing. Its like learning to tie your shoes the way you were taught is the way you will tie them pretty much for life and the way you would teach some one else to tie shoes so its all in what you learned early on. Thats not to say you cant learn later on but mostly as humans we are creatures of habit and comfort. What is taught as habit and what feels most comfortable to us is what we consider desirable. Simple matter of preference.
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #3
aunapsk8
Afro Girl

Default I agree

I'm in agreement with patience. I've only skated on quads and I put on a pair of ice skates and thought I was going to die. It literally freaked me out, I thought it was completely hard and from that point on didn't understand why people would do this regularly! I assume that's how you feel about quads....get it. So the point is....it's all about what you like and prefer. I honestly believe I can learn more on quads than I could on inline or ice skates because 1)I'm comfortable with quads and believe in thier abilities and 2)I think I'd break my ankles in the others.....so it's all about perception and comfort. That's all there is to it.

If you were willing to give quads a go for a while and learn how to work them, you would probably end up liking it, but I'm sure you would PREFER one over the other....feel me?!
aunapsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #4
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Basicly, no matter what skates Ü use, inlines, quads, Ice, nortic, urban, the're all basicly the same. . . . . Skaking. Granted, the specific way to skate is slighly different but still all are the basic form of skating is still the same. Now if Ü get so accoustomed to 1 specific model skate and try another type of skate, well sure it will feel different but commón, wouldn't getting into another kar feel different too? Also, In my life, I've had quads, inlines skates of various types and hockey skates and I luv them all.

Last edited by gem; January 31st, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:17 PM   #5
scaredstiff

I started on quads, DS but switched to inlines when Rollerblades first made it to the UK and never looked back. As you know, when we recently took up skating again, we didn't even look at quads.

Watching the lads at the rink, they seem to be much more 'dance' orientated. One of our mates started on inlines and then very quickly moved to quads and adores them so much, he's got the inlines on ebay already. He likes the dance side of skating and has no interest what so ever in going outside of a rink. I mentioned the roller marathon to him and he was aghast that we actually to out in to the fresh air on skates. "but the street isn't flat" he wailed. Bless him. Horses for courses though.

Sorry not to make it to the roller disco. Work didn't finish until late and we were too tired to move. Ditto today. Work just didn't let up until too bloomin' late.
scaredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:07 AM   #6
Kenman74

I used to prefer blades, and most of my experience is on them. About a year and a half ago, I tried quads- and had a hell of a time. After alot of practice, I've really come around on them. It's just a different feel.
Kenman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM   #7
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsablos View Post
Now the turning circle, I've tried speed skates with better maneuverability! the only advantages I see in quads are.
The trucks were not set right for you then!

I am an inliner these days. Haven't been on quads for about 18 years, but it was were I learnt to skate. They have their place.

I am of the firm opinion that quad artistic is superior to inline artistic. I am sorry to those on this board who are on inline, but quad for artistic looks much better. There are people skating inline artistic that used to skate quad, and they have lost something in the transition.

They are also a much better format for jam skating from what I have seen.

I am sure there are many other reasons for quads, but for the way most people skate these days, inlines are typically better.

CG
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I'm told that quads are better for standing around and for doing dancy-feet stuff, like jam and shuffle skating. I can't dance, and don't like to stand still, so I stick with inlines.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:01 AM   #9
skaterdog

You can do a lot more during a session skate with quads...I can't but I see other people showing off and having fun. With the inline speed skates you're limited indoors.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:12 AM   #10
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Quote:
I'm told that quads are better for standing around and for doing dancy-feet stuff, like jam and shuffle skating. I can't dance, and don't like to stand still, so I stick with inlines.
LOL, I must of been left out, cause my quads never ever saw any indoors in their lives, They lived free to Sidewalk Surf only outdoors.
gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM   #11
peter

I skate inline outside and quad inside.

Serious jam skaters are quad orientated. My son and I play roller hockey on quads. He does street skates in quads - just changes the wheels.

If speed is an issue then I'd go with inlines. Otherwise quads seem fine to me.

There is a slight balance and stance diffence between the two and it usually takes me a couple of minutes to adjust when I switch.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #12
inlina
ABEC42

This is one of those discussions that doesn't have a real definitive answer like;

- Why put street tyres on a ditbike (ie. super-moto) when there are high-powered road bikes.

- Why dirt jump with a 26" mountain bike when you can do more tricks on a 20" BMX.

-Why ride a skateboard and do grinds on ledges at shin height (and only grind 5 inches), when you can skate inline and hit rails at hip height (and grind for several meters and do some changes in the middle)?

CG
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:34 AM   #13
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Stalking, and chasing down a skinsuited cyclist babe is customarily done on inline speed skates.

... nuff said!
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:38 AM   #14
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Stalking, and chasing down a skinsuited cyclist babe is customarily done on inline speed skates.

... nuff said!

Well yeah....
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM   #15
7Skaters

They're more stable when you are rolling, too...not just when standing still.

But there is no "point" to them, exactly. They were just the first thing we could strap to our feet with wheels...before the 90's, it was quads...in the 90's we had inlines...now we've got urban...and without wheels, we've got ice. Times change and I think companies are just looking for the "next new thing".

Going from one form of skating to another (even from inlines to ice or vice versa) can be tricky, especially if you skated more often on one form than any other, for the simple fact that the way you balance is different. Inlines and ice are a bit closer than inline (or ice) and quads, like quads to urban, but there is still a difference.

You just have to roll (or glide) with the times - aided by a LOT of practice - or stick to what you know. Only you can decide which - if anything other than your normal skating mode - is for you. Better to try and not like it than never try at all, though.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM   #16
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

What is the point of your grandfather? Oh yeah, without him you wouldn't be here...

Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #17
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Default So what is the point of Quads exactly?

So straight people can skate too..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKtW552WmvI
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post

... nuff said!
Getting a skined suit babe to stop and watch you skate is done on quads.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM   #19
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhetttro View Post
So straight people can skate too..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKtW552WmvI
Yeah that was funny the first 100 times it was posted.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM   #20
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Getting a skined suit babe to stop and watch you skate is done on quads.
I think you misunderstand the point.

It's about drafting...
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote