S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #1
mkathyallen

Question Hello- and please help me fix my skates :)

Hello all! This is my first post in this forum so bear with me. I'm hoping some one out there can help me solve a problem with my skates. I bought some old skates on ebay because I wanted some cheapies to see whether I really like skating before I invested in some nicer ones. Now I'm attached to the old ones and would like to fix em up a little. I want to change the wheels, or at the very least take them off to clean the bearings, but I can not figure out how to get them off. The wheels have plastic disk thingies over where the nuts should be, blocking them from access. Does any one out there know how to remove these wheels (and maybe how to tell what size I should get for replacements), or even if its possible? I'm going to attempt linking to the ebay page, so you can see the pics of them.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_887wt_1038

Thank you for any input!
mkathyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkathyallen View Post
Hello all! This is my first post in this forum so bear with me. I'm hoping some one out there can help me solve a problem with my skates. I bought some old skates on ebay because I wanted some cheapies to see whether I really like skating before I invested in some nicer ones. Now I'm attached to the old ones and would like to fix em up a little. I want to change the wheels, or at the very least take them off to clean the bearings, but I can not figure out how to get them off. The wheels have plastic disk thingies over where the nuts should be, blocking them from access. Does any one out there know how to remove these wheels
Yes Ma'am.. It takes a special spanner to go in the holes.. or a pair of needle nose pliers may squeak ya by.. (and maybe how to tell what size I should get for replacements), or even if its possible? I'm going to attempt linking to the ebay page, so you can see the pics of them.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_887wt_1038

Thank you for any input!
Those look like the narrow wheels.. I may have a used set but if I recall correctly they take an odd ball bearing.. I guess pix are in order.
Old May 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Pix

Narrow wheels.. Note the wrench at the top..

Wide wheels..

There are both chrome and black hubcaps...

The hub cap unscrews....Note the 4 taps on the cap?? Those lock into notches in the wheels.. It makes 'em click when ya turn 'em and takes a bit of a twist to get it going..

Hope that helps...
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #4
mkathyallen

Thanks Doc Sk8! I've been researching for weeks trying to figure that out- the guy at the only local skate shop had no idea. Do you know what brand these are? I don't know anything other than that they are probably from the 70's (I saw some like them on Mork & Mindy the other day) It didn't look like these had been cleaned for 30 years, but they're rolling much better now- so I guess a test run is in order today . Again- thank you so much!!
mkathyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkathyallen View Post
Thanks Doc Sk8! I've been researching for weeks trying to figure that out- the guy at the only local skate shop had no idea. Do you know what brand these are? I don't know anything other than that they are probably from the 70's (I saw some like them on Mork & Mindy the other day) It didn't look like these had been cleaned for 30 years, but they're rolling much better now- so I guess a test run is in order today . Again- thank you so much!!
MAG (Mattel Athletics Group) Sunrunners.. ca 1978 or 9. They also had a skateboard

with the same wheels and truck system.

You have one of two versions I am aware of.and I think yours is the original. There is a second
version with a really crappy conventional plastic plate...

Here is an exploded view of the wide wheels..

Be careful on your test run. That action design while clever was not real good at steering (Oh yeah, I have rolled more than one pair of these.. )
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

And this ^ is why Doc is Doc. I rode the heck out of a urethane skateboard back in the late 70's. No crazy hardware though. Regular trucks wheels and PRECISION bearings.
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Those bearings look familliar...
Like the ones in my first pair of skates. Are they the same size as a 608 but with a built-in half width spacer perchance?
If so you can fit normal bearings in there with a 10mm spacer between.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #8
pavement

Ahhh memories....i had an orange sizzler like the one on top in the brochure as a kid. I used to hate it because the board was plastic and flexed in the middle. It had an unbelievably smooth ride to it though.
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Carly
Adult Member

I remember the skateboard version in the UK in red, the board was type of PVC used to always be warped normally curved upwards never flat in the middle.
I guy in a shop used to always have parts and I remember him showing me how the wheels and trucks were put together.
Wooden version had counter-sunk hex screw heads...
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I remember the skateboard version in the UK in red, the board was type of PVC used to always be warped normally curved upwards never flat in the middle.
I guy in a shop used to always have parts and I remember him showing me how the wheels and trucks were put together.
Wooden version had counter-sunk hex screw heads...
Mine was yellow... didn't have it long as I "upgraded" to a Variflex wide track wooden board when the bearings seized and I couldn't work out how to get at them (this was a couple of years before I got into quad skates), I never did get the hang of skateboarding and used to mostly ride them like a street luge down stupidly steep hills.

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, newbie, repair, vintage, wheels