S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old July 17th, 2018, 11:13 AM   #21
DarrenVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I used to see derby skaters at the rinks, not so much any more. The ones I do see are just about as you describe, not up to par and been skating for some time. It's a lot of watching certain movies and wanting life to be a certain way with some. Things just don't work that way. So the sisterhood/brotherhood is there but the progress is not. If you want to be a good skater, you have to put in your time. If it is not fun to skate but a person is there for a social event, it won't last and less effort will be put into it.
I agree that a lot of derby folks are more about the lifestyle than the Skating. I donít have tattoos and piercings and Iím way too old to be a hipster. Roller derby isnít as inclusive as they like to make out. Maybe I just got involved with the wrong team. Just going to carry on skating in my own sweet way, avoiding any drama and bs.
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #22
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
I agree that a lot of derby folks are more about the lifestyle than the Skating. I donít have tattoos and piercings and Iím way too old to be a hipster. Roller derby isnít as inclusive as they like to make out. Maybe I just got involved with the wrong team. Just going to carry on skating in my own sweet way, avoiding any drama and bs.
Keep you skating positive and have fun doing it. I would not get the exercise if I did not like skating, it has really helped keep my migraines down over the years. It's like, if you don't enjoy going to the gym, you will eventually quit. I like skating and experimenting with skates(2 things), the extras are just icing on the cake(AC, bathrooms, smooth surface, heat in the winter, food and drink etc.). Last weekend I saw a guy watching me crank out some laps, my time was done so I came off the floor. As I did he came over and asked if I skated there when I was a kid. I said yes, we had both skated there, he was one of the guys long ago I raced all the time.
Old July 19th, 2018, 11:06 PM   #23
hoohoorjoo

Cool Dreamland Skate Center-Pensacola FL

While on vacation, my daughter and I visited this skating rink. While not quite as nice as our home rink(urethane-coated concrete floor here vs. wood floor at home), we still enjoyed it. The sound system was nice and clear, the staff was friendly and the facility was clean. The floor is large and in great shape, very flat with no dips and my custom 97A Enforcer Wides gripped very well. They have a nice arcade and laser tag, as well. One strange thing was a step down of about 8" from the main area to the seating and video game area next to the rink, and there's a stepdown of about 8" again onto the floor. The first step is puzzling to me, but no one had an explanation when I asked about either of them. Regarding the tall stepdown to the floor, I suspect that the floor was originally wood, but was damaged by a hurricane at some pointand they took it up and prepped the underlying concrete floor, to prevent possible future water damage.
http://www.myskatecenter.com/dreamla...te-center.html

Last edited by hoohoorjoo; July 20th, 2018 at 01:45 AM.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:57 PM   #24
jotson

Default Rinks, Rinks, Rinks!

For those with Facebook access, there is a Rink Critic page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1413076258930329/
She was in the area a few weeks ago and rated my home rink (Rainbow NT) 6 wheels. I see she was also at Doc's home rink in Neville - a 7 wheel rating.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote