S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 9th, 2019, 11:08 PM   #21
Dec8rSk8r

Yeah the forum has certainly died off a lot from 10 years ago, but I don't see a correlation between all the political BS in the off topic and why people don't post as much either. That conversation is in another room, so to speak. Besides, as all the older posters will remember, the skatelog arguments were often fairly entertaining! We would pop some corn and sit down for a fun read if we didn't want to join in.

Whether it is that most of the active posters have moved on to other things in their life, or that people are just searching the forum and finding their answers, or maybe they have learned the knowledge they were seeking when they came here, who knows?

Last edited by Dec8rSk8r; January 10th, 2019 at 01:24 AM.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 03:39 AM   #22
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserector View Post
Rufus pretty much summed up ALL declining forums. FB is a terrible platform for what we do, but yet it is winning the war. Explain that.
My health has been in turmoil for several years now, so all I do is maintain Southern Skater. I have nothing new to report, so I just keep the garden weeded for visitors to enjoy.

Hey Reserector. Hope it isn't anything serious. Same here. Just struggling to keep the body from going down hill. But age is a pretty tough opponent. Down to only one or two skating sessions a week from 3 or 4 in years past.

But you wait. Something will change and forums will make a comeback, just like skating does. And when it does, we will complain about all the traffic and all the members who only joined for the social aspect.

But I digress. I sincerely hope Forums come back into prominence because they are such a great, searchable resource.
I sure hope these social media sites go downhill, or get legislated out of existence. They are ripe tools for manipulation. They get you addicted on Likes and positive feedback. Then it changes you. How do I get more likes? How do I get more positive feedback? Become part of the hive mind. Who controls the hive mind. The nerds behind the curtain. Currently you can bully Jews and Christians, but say something against Islam and you go to jail. Social Media is a disease. Hoping and praying it goes away. Not inclined to hold my breath on that though.
Old January 10th, 2019, 03:42 AM   #23
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Yeah the forum has certainly died off a lot from 10 years ago, but I don't see a correlation between all the political BS in the off topic and why people don't post as much either. That conversation is in another room, so to speak. Besides, as all the older posters will remember, the skatelog arguments were often fairly entertaining! We would pop some corn and sit down for a fun read if we didn't want to join in.

Whether it is that most of the active posters have moved on to other things in their life, or that people are just searching the forum and finding their answers, or maybe they have learned the knowledge they were seeking when they came here, who knows?
Oh yeah. It was Battle Royale time most of the time. You could probably count on one hand the regular posters who did not partake at least once in a while.

The difference then was, it was all about skates, wheels, geometry, weight, etc.
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:03 PM   #24
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Oh yeah. It was Battle Royale time most of the time. You could probably count on one hand the regular posters who did not partake at least once in a while.

The difference then was, it was all about skates, wheels, geometry, weight, etc.
Most people just dont care what the skate is capable of, just give me "the best".... best what? The skating movies made people think they could skate, then become important in a group, a sense of belonging. But skating is work, if you dont love it, so lots of people drop out not long after getting in. No need to learn or learn about what makes your gear work best for you. So things have gone from the stuff that means something to flash and glitter. Skaters for a month and done....
Old January 19th, 2019, 06:35 PM   #25
hoohoorjoo

I hate that forums as a whole have declined, but the fishing forums I am a part of are still going strong. One of them has 1.1 million members and about 60% contribute at least 1 time per week. Skating just isnt as popular as it has been at points past. It is a niche sport, one that has suffered due to FB groups, Instagram and other social media platforms. But ultimately, I think its due to the low participation numbers linked to serious skaters, in general.

Last edited by hoohoorjoo; January 19th, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:59 PM   #26
NorCal03

Default agree to a degree

The FB option has been EASY to see and use so I think it is winning just for the ease of use function. *I do hear folks mention how much they loved the forum but then others say they tried for long periods of time to get on>?? So, I think it is a combo of ease of use for the masses and less trouble for others. Just my 2 cents. BTW - interested in the comments by others on this about the decline of speed skating, etc. I loved it as a kid but even when I was active on the forum there were no opportunities for speed skating just getting my gear fix and then either skating a session in my preferred set-up or skating outside. Seriously, haven't even seen a session 'fast skate' (bring out the cones for a few songs) in decades in the various rinks I've visited
Old February 25th, 2019, 09:26 PM   #27
nickajshelden
Blades

just a quick stop by to say +1 on this topic. I was kinda wondering that over the last few days, but I guess it *is* the off season (for most folks). Here in the Beautiful PNW, it rains all the time, so I just learn to skate all the time.
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #28
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickajshelden View Post
just a quick stop by to say +1 on this topic. I was kinda wondering that over the last few days, but I guess it *is* the off season (for most folks). Here in the Beautiful PNW, it rains all the time, so I just learn to skate all the time.
There's a season? Well you definitely learn a new thing every day.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:22 PM   #29
AZSHOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Too much whining from stupid people whining about stuff they don't have to look at in the first place.

Ever hear me whine about aggressive skating? No. You know why? I don't read that forum.

All you creampuffs need to do is not read off topic. Problem solved.
Well, I came back because I was searching for what some obscure swiss bearings are. Remembered what I posted last about all the politics here, and decided to see the replies. About what I figured. "If you don't like it, just Done LOOOOKKK>... (said in sanctimonious yet whining voice). Standard BS answer when people do things that are WRONG - "just ignore it if you don't like it". Yep, I have. And hundreds of other members are too, now. But so YOU know:

Here's the deal bucko: Most forum tools have a "New Posts" button, as does this one. Go ahead, look. It's right above you. Now click it. See how many new posts are in the "off topic" category? That's how I see what's new, not digging down into each sub-category to "hope" something new was posted there.

I don't go to any of those that are listed as "off topic". But I have to look at them, and see that in the past year, 94.67% have been "off topic". So why should I come here often? Why should anyone, other than the "off topic" types?
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 11:34 PM   #30
AZSHOT

Methinks someone doth protest too much. [clicking "new posts" button]

Hey, I know a fun game! Let's see identify the proportion of "off topic", political posts to on topic for members!

/researching ...

Oh good gosh, I can't waste any more time here. After 5 pages (25 posts per page) of listing the last posts by rufusprime99, he had only 12 that were not "off topic". Out of 125 posts, I stopped there. 12 on topic. Why don't you go somewhere else to get on your soap box, instead of clogging up a good hobby? Would you ever consider maybe you're driving people away?
Old March 1st, 2019, 05:55 PM   #31
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Riffing off of Shakespear and thinking/researching/calculating??? Get outta here! Well, not really.... just the opposite.

As a side note... I've purposefully NOT immediately jumped onto actual "Skating" threads to give new folks a chance to chime in.

I'd like to ask if Rufus actually skates.
Old March 1st, 2019, 09:10 PM   #32
nickajshelden
Blades

Default FB vs Forums

kinda a general reply to the last few posts:
For info, I go to forums. plain and simple. the data is more accessible there. from the google definition a forum is "a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." I believe that hearkens back to the Greek concept of a forum. it is a place for ideas. if you want data, come here.

For social stuff, FB (or MeetUp) is great. it is a social media. as far as organizing skating, it is hard to beat. however, it makes only recent stuff relevant, so any useful data quickly gets buried. Forums are a little too static to see what is relevant at the current moment.

I see a use for both. The forum will live on, but Facebook has advantages in certain areas. I find myself on here more often than Facebook, though I have been making efforts to start a Facebook group in my area (just no interest here it seems). the forum is a little more agnostic towards geographical location.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 03:46 AM   #33
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
Is this website still alive?
Yes...

Old March 3rd, 2019, 08:40 AM   #34
eighteen_psi
Falcon Heavy

Circle back through from time to time. Slow.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 07:58 PM   #35
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Methinks someone doth protest too much. [clicking "new posts" button]

Hey, I know a fun game! Let's see identify the proportion of "off topic", political posts to on topic for members!

/researching ...

Oh good gosh, I can't waste any more time here. After 5 pages (25 posts per page) of listing the last posts by rufusprime99, he had only 12 that were not "off topic". Out of 125 posts, I stopped there. 12 on topic. Why don't you go somewhere else to get on your soap box, instead of clogging up a good hobby? Would you ever consider maybe you're driving people away?
Damnit Rufusprime!! Didn't you realize that posting too much in the off topic section was not only clogging up a good hobby but also driving people away?
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:26 PM   #36
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Damnit Rufusprime!! Didn't you realize that posting too much in the off topic section was not only clogging up a good hobby but also driving people away?
If it weren't for the noise, all there would be was quiet.

I won't point a finger at anyone, but I vaguely remember a post, about skating, that kind of went on and on as posts around here do. Then one poster said why don't you all shut up? I found that funny: This is a Forum. We're SUPPOSED to discuss, argue, carry on. It is what we are here for. I pointed this out to the shut up person. They weren't happy.

AZSHOT You are funny. Brag about how you are above it all, then whine like the rest. Ha ha. Made ya look.

If ya want skate posts, make some.
Old May 15th, 2019, 12:30 AM   #37
AZSHOT

Nah, looks like you've got this soapbox forum pretty much to yourself. Almost 7,000 posts in 9 years, an average of 2.0 per day. Just checking back in to see if anything changed since Feb. Nope, I see almost all the posts are by you, about politics. Averaging 92.3% Off Topic / Political every day, week, and year.

Good job! You win the Logorrhea award.
Old May 15th, 2019, 02:13 AM   #38
wyodinosaur

I just hope they don't close this forum though. You can do searches and find out a lot of good information still.
wyodinosaur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:40 AM   #39
Inline?-LOL
Did you just fall???

:::bump:::
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:25 PM   #40
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline?-LOL View Post
:::bump:::
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote