S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old April 8th, 2019, 04:34 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default What's up with Berry Skates?

Yeah, what's up with Berry Artistic Skates? I sold my old beginner skates so that I could build my dream Riedell skates.

Now everyone I know tells me that they have at least 4 pairs of skates. That's all I needed to hear. Just one more pair (for a total of two) would be amazing. Plus my Riedells are suede with delicate artwork on them, so I'm not sure I want to use them outside. I'd rather use leather for that. So I troll EBAY constantly, just to see what's out there in my size.

But that's besides the point. I love those Berry Skates SOOOOOO much. Why is there website so weird? Every product says out of stock, so I click the "tell me when they are available" link, and they are never available.

And also, what's up with these sizes???

My Riedell insoles measures at 267mm (that's a mens 7). Do you guys have any comparisons, like do you have a riedell AND either an EDEA, Risport or Berry boot? What's the size comparison??? Like basically, if you measured your Riedell insole, how does it compare to the stated measurements of the Boots measured in millimeters?

I think I'd be either a 270 or a 275. I like my boots tight. I had initially bought a size 7 1/2 riedell, but it was too big. Just 5mm makes a huge difference to me. Do you guys feel similarly?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2019, 08:12 AM   #2
jbgerman

Actually you should have one pair of skates, my view. Aim should be to accustom to the skates, like that they get virtually a part of you. Skating is muscle memory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory
Same conditions facilitate this.

As said, my view: If you your skating both in rinks and outdoors a lot, second pair of skates is nice. I had always and have two pairs. But both with similar setup, e.g. boots (stiffness of the upper, height of the heels, diameter of the wheels, same plates etc.

Regarding the size. The lenght is rather easy to determine. I find it more difficult to get the best fit, which depends very much on the width of the boots. There are many differences between the manufacturers. Riedell C is rather wide, the EDEA and Risports men's boots are compared to this rather narrow. + the EDEA and Risports have a mostly a higher heel compared to Riedell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Yeah, what's up with Berry Artistic Skates? I sold my old beginner skates so that I could build my dream Riedell skates.

Now everyone I know tells me that they have at least 4 pairs of skates. That's all I needed to hear. Just one more pair (for a total of two) would be amazing. Plus my Riedells are suede with delicate artwork on them, so I'm not sure I want to use them outside. I'd rather use leather for that. So I troll EBAY constantly, just to see what's out there in my size.

But that's besides the point. I love those Berry Skates SOOOOOO much. Why is there website so weird? Every product says out of stock, so I click the "tell me when they are available" link, and they are never available.

And also, what's up with these sizes???

My Riedell insoles measures at 267mm (that's a mens 7). Do you guys have any comparisons, like do you have a riedell AND either an EDEA, Risport or Berry boot? What's the size comparison??? Like basically, if you measured your Riedell insole, how does it compare to the stated measurements of the Boots measured in millimeters?

I think I'd be either a 270 or a 275. I like my boots tight. I had initially bought a size 7 1/2 riedell, but it was too big. Just 5mm makes a huge difference to me. Do you guys feel similarly?
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
Actually you should have one pair of skates, my view. Aim should be to accustom to the skates, like that they get virtually a part of you. Skating is muscle memory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory
I know I am an unusual athlete as compared to most people I know personally in my ability to adapt to almost any sport. Like throwing a football, baseball, or shooting a basketball. Even though the balls are very different it is possible to be decent at throwing all of them.

As far as skating goes I have asked around here when I was considering going back to quads from inline skates if anyone could do both. One of them is the OP of this thread - @Oicusk82huh - who claimed she could skate both kinds. So...I tried it and it is absolutely no problem.

I can go from quads to inline skates and back again with about a 10-second period for my brain to figure out which skates are on my feet. And I can pick up any of 4 skateboards (longboards) I own, all very different setups, and skate them without a moment of adaptation.

Let me confess that I skated quads for 25 years, then inline skates for 25 years, and skate at a near-professional level on either type of skate - 100% out of doors. I never tried mixing them until a couple years ago. Absolutely no problem. In fact, my quads skate better over twigs and on wet surfaces, my inline skates are better around rocks and dry surfaces, trolly or train tracks, and various surfaces. So I just choose the skate for the surface I plan to skate the session.

I will agree with you about the ONE kind of skate if I were actually getting paid to perform a sport on skates as a figure skater or hockey player. But even then, as a former speed skater it sure came in handy to also play hockey and have that extra kind of balance when things go crazy. Knowing how to skate backwards saved me a brutal crash on speed skates one time!

Perhaps @Oicusk82huh and I are rare super-human skaters but I kinda believe that several kinds of skates only makes us better at every one of them, and certainly reduces boredom with only one kind of skating. @Oicusk82huh and I can both skate freestyle slalom on quads or inline skates without missing a beat. I admit that she is much more dedicated to that sport than I am and my moves are infantile, but she confessed to me that she was competent on either type of skate.

Wasn't expecting to make such a long post! The point is: You can't have too many skates in my opinion!
Old April 14th, 2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Yeah, what's up with Berry Artistic Skates?
Are you getting Berry skate boots? I just looked at their website and WOW! They look incredible. I would love to hear about them if you pull the trigger on a pair.