S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old March 16th, 2016, 03:45 AM   #17561
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
...I can't tell you how many times I was just standing there minding my own business and WHAM right on the a55....

I only fell 3 times today....I'm getting VERY good at falling.
Dude. Falling is part of the program for aggressive skaters as you know better than likely anyone here. So even though none of us wants to see you dinged, few would be surprised by the news that you hit the ground. Unless you fell off the porch on the way to the rail.

I fall about once a year. But thanks to my new parking lot in the local park I am starting to mess around with freestyle slalom again. There will be falling almost certainly, usually going backwards. Hope I don't get a cone up the arse too. But if I fall down the stairs leaving the house, give a guy some sympathy.

You know I am just messing with you. Looking at your physique in those videos I bet you can take a fall better than any of us old farts. I am 150 lbs of muscle and bone - mostly bone unfortunately. Very little of me is padded. And once a year falling is not considered "practice". I am so proud of myself just getting up after a nice crash. If I can still skate I feel like Superman!
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #17562
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
us old farts. I am 150 lbs of muscle and bone - mostly bone unfortunately. I am so proud of myself just getting up after a nice crash. If I can still skate I feel like Superman!
Indeed! I am not as studly as Dave, and a few years older, but feel the same, Joey.
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #17563
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Hahahahah! Have you guys seen the body armor I wear tho!!

Falling really helps with many abductor muscle groups and balance in general.
Old March 18th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #17564
buddig

Long time since I wrote here and I'm now trying to learn skateboarding.
About 3 month ago, I for first time entered a skateboard and succeeded rolling a little.
I've tried before, but could not stay on it.
The weather is fine here now, so this week I'm skateboarding every day and inline skating about 1 - 2 times per week.
Old March 18th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #17565
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddig View Post
...I'm now trying to learn skateboarding....
If you want access to awesome information on learning to skateboard, check out http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/

Unlike this place, the Silverfish Forums get loads of action every day and people are very helpful. But so you don't get scolded over there, do a Search on the forum before asking the same questions that have been answered 500 times already. My handle over there is "joeyskate". You can always PM me and the message gets sent to my phone.

I hope you continue to post your progress here as well. I am taking a break from longboarding and don't check Silverfish as much as I used to.
Old March 20th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #17566
buddig

Thanks for you recommended http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/
I've joined the forum, and downloaded the video "Learn To Skateboard" from the download site and have seen it.
Last tuesday, only 3 days before, I downloded it from the original site, but could not get it working.
What a coincidence.
Many good things are coming to me just now.

Pictures from the winters friday nights with the speedskaters.

Yesterday was the last skate in the hall for this winter, now the club is moving outdoor.
It's me at the left side in the picture.
Before this evening skate I skateboarded at home in the afternoon.
Today was busy, so I skateboarded from late evening to dark night,
followed by weight training squat. reverse rows, curl and standing calf raises.
Old March 21st, 2016, 05:56 PM   #17567
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddig View Post

Pictures from the winters friday nights with the speedskaters.
That is a good looking group! I bet you have more inline skaters in that one photo than we have here in my whole dumb city.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:58 AM   #17568
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

First interesting thing: My workout today and yesterday were both EXACTLY 11.1 miles and my times were 103:02 and 103:12. There is some consistency for you!

On an entirely different note...

Something I can check off my bucket list now. I got pulled down off my skates by a dog in City Park today. The dog was on a regular 6ft leash and appeared well heeled. As I passed from behind the dog shot around in front of the owner and somehow got a couple of teeth on me through two layers of clothing - even though I am always ready for a lunge and got both hands on the dog before he bit me. The dog, some kind of "Australian Shepherd" mix, probably weighed 35 lbs pulled me backward off my skates. The young woman walking the dog was freaked to say the least. Dog's shots are current, I am not hurt from the fall (so far as I can tell) and the bite looks WAY worse than it really is. Starting to get a nice bruise around it now. The dog's name is Wiley and was sweet as could be once I was on the ground.

The woman asked if the dog was going to be destroyed. Must have watched the Wizard of Oz too many times. I am not making a big deal out of it. I knew that would happen one day. Dogs seem to hate skates and skateboards and that path is pretty tight in places. I have been lunged at by dogs so many times I can't even count them.

I posted a link instead of the photo in case you are queezy about seeing such things.

Here is a link to the photo:

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ef&oe=578DBC36
Old March 26th, 2016, 12:08 AM   #17569
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Thanks to bad weather I decided to move some furniture around in my home and practice some freestyle slalom moves. Our floors are nice, dark hardwood and smooth as glass of course. I can skate the entire length of the house (60 feet) as well as practice spins in the living room. My wife was at the gym so she would not be under my feet. I wore wrist guards and a helmet because any falls would likely result in hitting something with a sharp corner.

I put in one hour. No clue about distance.
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #17570
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

HOLY SHI7! Bad dog! Gnarly wound dude, keep care on that..... dammmmm

I love dogs, and understand that when you put wheels on feet they like to get stupid, and it is for that reason that I spent an entire summer learning to do 180 bonks. It's where you skate up to an object and as you go by you jump into a 180 and kick it on the way thru the rotation. I always imagined several scenarios. Pissed off hombre, High kick!! Pissed off mongrel, low kick.

I have encountered many dogs. Stick that skate right in their open mouth and they'll shut right up. We had a skater get attacked by a german shepard on the high road around our lake. The dog didn't hurt her as much as the 70' fall down the embankment around the dam. Safety first, KICK THE DOG AS HARD AS YOU CAN! Practice makes perfect.

I'm not a bad person, but if you have a bad dog and bring it to my exercise area, don't expect me to pull punches. I don't want to wind up with a nasty hole in my leg like Joey. (seriously tho. Punctures are the worst bro.)
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #17571
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
...Safety first, KICK THE DOG AS HARD AS YOU CAN! Practice makes perfect...I'm not a bad person, but if you have a bad dog and bring it to my exercise area, don't expect me to pull punches...
Unfortunately, the dog went from zero to 100 so fast, even though i am always prepared for an attack when I pass a dog walker he still got me somehow. I got both hands on him and maybe a knee, which i guess elevated his mouth to my ribcage. I am grateful that he got teeth on me in a flat spot, not a calf or forearm where he could have done a lot more damage from crushing jaws and probably a lot more punctures.

Last week I had a doberman try the same thing and got a wrist guard in the throat as he went for my leg. Not a tooth touched me. The guy walking the dog apologized, then told me the dog hates skaters. That made me want to punch him in the throat too. I just told him "Great place to walk him then".

The bite is healing up. No infection. Probably have a scar for quite a while, which is good. Something to show people who let their mutts off the leash on the fitness path. Had the dog been off the leash, or on a extra long leash I probably would have made a big deal out of it. And the girl was as surprised as I was and quite upset. Dog's shots were current. I can still skate. Feelin' lucky man.
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #17572
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

A full weekend of filming. 5 seperate sessions.

Rest day
Old April 16th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #17573
buddig

I still have inliner wheels on my skateboard, because it runs much more easy on ruogh and stony asphalt.
Today I taped a cam under the board to see the trucks and wheels in action.
/ Henning
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #17574
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Pretty cool buddig!

I took the day off on the 11th of this month and the preceding thursday. Had a guy fly in from Chicago to do an interview on me. Skated so much over the weekend that I didn't even feel guilty about it either (the two rest days).

Other than that, it's been business as usual! Daily grind.
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #17575
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Took a week vacation with the wife. Next 2 weeks are non-stop at work, literally working every day, 10 hours a day until May 2. So.....don't expect much out of me skating wise.

Y'all need to take up my slack!
Old April 24th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #17576
TimeZone3

I had it in my head that I wanted to try a marathon-level distance, so I got up this morning and headed out to the greenway. Five miles in, I just wasn't feeling it. But I ate a granola bar and felt better, and by the time I reached ten miles, I figured I could do another three before turning around. Miles 13-22 or so went by really easily, actually! The last few were a little bit rough, but not horribly so. Will probably be stiff tomorrow, but overall was a great skate! Total was 27 miles in about 2:09. Don't have a 100% accurate record, as my phone lost GPS signal for part of the time, and ended up drawing straight lines through huge swaths of territory.

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 05:44 AM   #17577
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone3 View Post
I had it in my head that I wanted to try a marathon-level distance, so I got up this morning and headed out to the greenway.
Awesome! Keep the post coming. Not much action in here.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:03 AM   #17578
esef

About 10 miles on the Palmer Trail outside Easton, Pennsylvania. Beautiful trail. ...until it gets to Hackett Park. Now here's what I'm dealing with: (1) the asphalt trail is wet, so traction (braking, turning) is an issue; (2) the trail narrows, again limiting braking options; (3) it was my first time on the trail, so I didn't know what to expect; (4) I had just climbed a steep hill, and I could see that the trail is pointing down again...

So, with this knowledge, what did I do? Surely, I turned back around, right? Or carefully picked my way down? No, I sent it.

Sheer terror followed.

I began to pick up speed faster than I could slow down. Too little room for slalom turns at speed. T-stopping had me slipping while accelerating. Nowhere beside the trail to bail. The best I could manage was to snow plow down that entire section. That section ended up dropping 114 vertical feet over about .3 miles for a 7.2% grade.

And then I saw it...

...At the very bottom of the hill, the trail would veer left—hard left. It gets worse: immediately before the turn, storm run-off had covered the entry to the corner in dirt. Wet pavement, sharp turn, narrow trail, dirt, and at this point I'm really booking. Would I make the turn? Iffy.

I hit the pavement at 24mph.
esef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #17579
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

"Officially" i skated 80+ miles last week between the inline skates and my longboard. 30+ on the board one day, 25+ on the skates one day, and some more board miles a couple of other days.

I "actually" skated a few more miles but did not run the GPS. Battery got down below 10% one day so I saved the data and continued skating without it.
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #17580
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

70+ miles this week on inline skates and longboard combined.