S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 29th, 2016, 04:40 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Bought some new skates today.

The Roll Line Dance plate with the Edea Fly boot is an incredible skate. I really like it, but my old standby Snyders with Donald Jackson boots give me the support needed to do my freestyle, without injury.

I also will get my second pair of skates in a few days...Roll Line Energy with a Edea Concerto boot. Can wait to see if there is any difference between a Dance Plate and a Energy plate.

Sincerely,

Larry O and happy skating. Next competition is next week at Orange, Ca in dance. Wish me luck! ....LOL!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
The Roll Line Dance plate with the Edea Fly boot is an incredible skate. I really like it, but my old standby Snyders with Donald Jackson boots give me the support needed to do my freestyle, without injury.

I also will get my second pair of skates in a few days...Roll Line Energy with a Edea Concerto boot. Can wait to see if there is any difference between a Dance Plate and a Energy plate.

Sincerely,

Larry O and happy skating. Next competition is next week at Orange, Ca in dance. Wish me luck! ....LOL!
nice another new pair, u dont get enough support from the Flys?
10 to 20 years ago most of the men skaters were wearing riddell 297 boots which have almost no support.

good luck with your new ones.
Old October 29th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Thanks Rick.

I really like the Flys for Dance, but my feet are aching a lot more, because of the "no support".

In reality the Donald Jackson boots are too stiff.

It will be interesting to how the Edea Concerto boots will feel.

I did notice I have a harder time with OB spins on the Dance Plate.
Since I don't have a good OB spin the Dance Plate accents this fact.

I'm just going to have to put a lot of time in this spin.

I just can't believe people wore the 297.

40+ years I had a really stiff boot, a Custom 375 Gold Star Boot, which supposedly had steel inserts in it. I hope to find those boots in the garage and get them rebuilt. I hear Riedell will rebuild the insoles (leather) in the boot for 200 dollars.

Sincerely,

Larry O..lol!

Rick, what is a good stiff boot for freestyle, but less stiff than the Jacksons?
Old October 30th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #4
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I really like the Flys for Dance, but my feet are aching a lot more, because of the "no support".

In reality the Donald Jackson boots are too stiff.

It will be interesting to how the Edea Concerto boots will feel.

I did notice I have a harder time with OB spins on the Dance Plate.
Since I don't have a good OB spin the Dance Plate accents this fact.

I'm just going to have to put a lot of time in this spin.

I just can't believe people wore the 297.

40+ years I had a really stiff boot, a Custom 375 Gold Star Boot, which supposedly had steel inserts in it. I hope to find those boots in the garage and get them rebuilt. I hear Riedell will rebuild the insoles (leather) in the boot for 200 dollars.

Sincerely,

Larry O..lol!

Rick, what is a good stiff boot for freestyle, but less stiff than the Jacksons?
well to be honest i dont know the new boots that well. but a good stiff boot is the riedell silver star or gold that i know of. they arent like the ones that were out when u were skating before. my son wore the 297 for about 10 years and did all the triples in them and so didnt most of the skaters that skated wc men. i think u will like the energy plate, we have one of the original ones and my son loved them after he got use to them going from an atlas plate.
Old October 30th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #5
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
well to be honest i dont know the new boots that well. but a good stiff boot is the riedell silver star or gold that i know of. they arent like the ones that were out when u were skating before. my son wore the 297 for about 10 years and did all the triples in them and so didnt most of the skaters that skated wc men. i think u will like the energy plate, we have one of the original ones and my son loved them after he got use to them going from an atlas plate.
I love the 297 boots. I wore mine out in the upper areas after 15 years of use. I should have bought a new pair, but instead went with the Reidell Tribute, which I've never come to love, but I do like the lightness of the construction which incorporates cork, for lightness, and cushioning for landing jumps. The Tribute is too stiff for me. I have very strong ankles and don't need any extra support.

Eventually I'll be sending my 297 boots to Reidell for new tongues, and a flex notch. These old boots purchased at my rink in 1992 cost $150 and fit like a glove from the start.
Old October 31st, 2016, 12:29 AM   #6
Gee

I am envious of you, larryoracing. I am going to stay with my old skates until I master them. Enjoy your new skates.
Old October 31st, 2016, 05:29 AM   #7
larryoracing

Smile Gee don't be envious...lol!

There are a lot of people at the rink. Good/great skaters who have been skating for years that skate on Atlas plates with Harlic Books. So that combination must be excellent.

Tommi just got her Roll Line Dance plates with cut down 297 Reidell Boots and she hasn't really got an opinion after only a couple days of use, yet.

I will say this, I weighed my Snyder Skates with the Jackson Boots and Fomac Zephyr wheels and the wt was 10 lbs. The Roll Line Dance plate with the Edea Fly boots and Fomac Zephr wheels weighed 7 lbs. So the new set up is lighter and there is a lot less stress on my knees because the the new skates and boots and the incredible action of the trucks. I really like the new skates. They are incredible.

Someday if I get rich, I want to try out those Evo's or 1200 dollar Roll Line Freestyle plates, just to see if there is a difference.

Sincerely,

Larry O
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:36 PM   #8
mamaderuby

Happy new skates!
mamaderuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #9
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Dance Plate Vs. Energy Plate

Greetings LarryO:

Congratulations on your recent acquisition of not one, but two great boot and plate combinations!

It is very rare for a skater to acquire 2 high end Rolline skate set ups at the same time.

I would be very interested to hear a detailed review of both setups.
In particular it would be interesting if you could compare and contrast the similarities and differences between the Dance and Energy Plates in practical use.
Which plates do you like better and why?
What specific disciplines are each being used for?
Which plate is better for spins, jumps, 3 turns, camels etc.
In hind-site are there any changes boot or plate that you would make.
Which boot do you like better and why?
Are there any inconsistencies in quality or build?
Boot weaknesses and/or strengths?
Heal height too much too little?

Thanks,

Dannyboy
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 07:25 AM   #10
larryoracing

Default Danny Boy only a partial answer to your question...LOL!

Quote:
Which plates do you like better and why?
Danny Boy are you a competitive skater? It seems you could be a free stylist. I have only tried the Roll Line Dance Plates with the Ice Fly boots and Bones 101A wheels on Synder 8 ball precision bearings.

The roll line dance plates have incredible truck action. These trucks outperform the Snyder Imperial trucks 10-1. They are that good. I have even installed the softest Synder cushions (red/soft) and they cannot compare the roll line dance plates on the yellow (firm) cushions.

I think the big upper cushion on the roll line dance plates has something to do with the incredible truck action.

You might ask why you need incredible truck action when skating dance. Modern dance requires skating lobes that could be 20ft in radius. I find this almost impossible to do on my Snyder Imperial skates with Donald Jackson boots. Needless to say I can do easily 10ft radius lobes on my roll line dance plates and Ice Fly boots.

The ice fly boots are comfortable and easy fitting. My Donald Jackson boots are stiff and very hard to skate in.

The roll line dance plates with Ice fly boots are a dream to skate on for dance but I would never ever think about using these skates for freestyle.

The roll line dance plates move to much in the truck action. You don’t need this kind of truck action for doing freestyle jumps or spins. Also the Ice fly boots allow for a lot of ankle movement, great for dance but could easily sprain and ankle in freestyle.

I would never use the roll line dance plates for freestyle or use the Edea Fly boots for freestyle. Just do dangerous a combination. To much movement in the trucks and ankles in the boots, which you don't need for freestyle in my opinion.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. I will get to try out my Roll Line Energy Plates on Concerto Boots tomorrow, hopefully…lol!
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #11
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I have been skating this combo for about 6 years now,
I would choose the same setup again, Rock solid, full control.

Old November 9th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #12
larryoracing

Smile Some thoughts on my new skate purchases.

A few thoughts about my Roll Line “Energy” roller skate plates with Edea Concerto boots mounted on them.

The roll line energy plate is suppose to be a Freestyle Plate and the Concerto Boot, I think is also a Freestyle Boot which is rated pretty stiff…lol!

This plate and Boot combo reminded me of my Synder Imperial Plates with the Donald Jackson Boots rated for quadruple jump stiffness.

1) So, I feel the Roll Line Energy plate is similar to theSynder Imperial plate. I feel the Synder Imperial plate has more action, movement in the trucks but the “Energy” plate is easier to initiate the turn. Also the Energy Concerto skate combo is 2 lbs lighter than the Synder Imperial Donald Jackson setup.

2) When riding on the Energy plate you feel that you are high in the air. Contrastingly the Roll line Dance plate feels real close to the ground, with the wild truck action.,,lol!

3) As I have said I would never use the Roll Line Dance Plate with Ice Fly boots for freestyle.

3a) It is a great dance plate. I don’t think anything would compare.

4) The Roll Line Energy Plate with the Edea Concerto Boot has more stiffness than the Edea Ice Fly on the Roll Line Dance Plate but is not as stiff as the Donald Jackson Plate on the Synder Imperial plate.

I like the Synder Imperial Plate with the Donald Jackson boot s for safety reasons, but you could use the Roll Line Energy with the Concerto Boot if you were a little cautious. I still think you could twist an ankle with the Concerto Boot on the Roll Line Energy Plate.

5) The combo I would like to try is the Roll Line Matrix plate with the Edea Piano Boot combo. The Matrix Plate rides low like the Dance Plate and the Edea Piano Boot is stiffer than than the Concerto.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. So what I am saying is the Roll Line Dance Plate with Ice Fly boots are great for dance, but I will have to use caution if I use the Roll Line Energy Plate with the Concerto Boots for freestyle.

For safety reasons I still like the Synder Imperial with the Donald Jackson Boots rated for quadruple jumps. You will never bust or sprain an ankle with this setup. With the Energy and Concerto Boot there's still a chance.

I grew up and my whole skating career 40 years ago was based on the state of the Art Synder Imperial Plate with Riedell Gold Star Boots with steel inserts for stiffness.

You could never turn an ankle or hurt yourself with this setup guaranteed. Now, I see how WC skaters still sprain ankles and hurt their knees with modern equipment like the Roll Line Energy Plate and Concerto Boots. These new setups are not as stiff as the equipment used over 40 years ago.