S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 17th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Finally attempted a double mapes.

I knew time was running out, so I figured today would be a good day to try the double mapes. I had a lot of speed, I jumped high, but I could only rotate 1.5 revolutions. Did not fall down, so it's a good start.

Last week was the axel which I felt very uncomfortable with. Could not really jump it up and out like one should and I could not get over the right skate, so I was always landing on the left foot.

But both are a a great start and I have plenty of time to get these jumps down before next regional's, which is my goal.

Thanks for listening,

Larry

P.S. Veterans Solo dance is going fine. Basically have learned 4-6 dances. Plenty of time to get these dances down before next regional's...lol!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I knew time was running out, so I figured today would be a good day to try the double mapes. I had a lot of speed, I jumped high, but I could only rotate 1.5 revolutions. Did not fall down, so it's a good start.

Last week was the axel which I felt very uncomfortable with. Could not really jump it up and out like one should and I could not get over the right skate, so I was always landing on the left foot.

But both are a a great start and I have plenty of time to get these jumps down before next regional's, which is my goal.

Thanks for listening,

Larry

P.S. Veterans Solo dance is going fine. Basically have learned 4-6 dances. Plenty of time to get these dances down before next regional's...lol!
cool pretty good, keep it up u will get it,,,,fear could be part of it and age.
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #3
Ancient1

Default Great

Hi Larry,
That sounds fantastic. This may help... notice that word MAY.

When a skater is apprehensive on a double they usually stay too open with their legs and they tend to check too soon. It's a fear and doubt reflex. Great that you have the speed and height.

Just try snapping a little faster and checking a little later and keeping the legs tight, not as open as a single jump.

I was just speculating but feel the jump yourself and see if those could be an issue with your rotation...

Best of Luck,
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

Thanks for listening,

Larry

As you know, I'm a hack and I only do an axel off-skate, but just in case it helps. I think of any rotation as one leg is a post and the other hip goes round the post. When I axel, since I start off a with a mohak (I usually go ccw) the left sarts as the post. But as soon as I hit the air I think of the right as the post and rotate the other hip around it. Also, I think of the landing as if I'm going to combo, so I'm ready to jump again. I never really do, but I try to land as if I will.

I have no idea if that is correct or not, but that's how I do it. But I just get the axel and no more.

That double mapes, I can only get 1 and a half even off-skate. I've done a full mapes on skate, but it was a pretty poor landing.

Keep it up Larry, you'll get there. And I'll be right behind you, like a few 100 miles.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 02:20 AM   #5
Nostalgic

As you take off note a point on the wall straight ahead of you and count 1 as yo come around the first time then keep you attention focused on the anticipation of coming up on that spot the second time. Pulling out at 1.5 revolutions usually means that the problem is mental. Do remember to check the jump though, just before you reach the spot you're watching.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #6
larryoracing

Smile I want to thank everybody for the replies.

My greatest fear is that for some reason I will have to give up skating.
So, every time I go skating and push myself in Freestyle and have success like doing an axel or double mapes I feel like I have accomplished a major milestone.

And the hopes of competing in freestyle are still alive...lol!

Lately my right knee gets sore after practice. So the other day by freak accident I had not skated in 3 days and my legs were fully recovered/full strength, so I could try a double for the 1st time.

I think I just have to give my right knee a break between practices, so I won't go skating tomorrow to give it a rest.

1) I think Nostalgic is right about the spot on the wall and checking after the 1st rotation. I think that is how I use to jump, but it was more by feeling rather than counting the revolutions.

2) I also think Jim/Ancient One is right. I was thinking I need to snap this jump a little faster at the beginning of the jump. I think I need to cock this jump/a little counter rotation at the beginning to give me a little momentum to get these rotations.

3) I also think Derrick is right. On the axel, I feel you need to jump of the LOF but transition to the ROB on landing and I am not doing that.

3a) As RWSZ has said, I have a "fear" factor on the axel, but I plan on putting an end to that and just doing what needs to be done to perform the axel. It's all about confidence and you just got to trust your instincts, that you can jump the axel and perform the landing.

Thanks for all the help guys and I hope someday I can tell you I have landed the axel and the double mapes.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. I just bought a brand new pair of Energy Roll-line plates and Ice Fly boots. I wonder how these will feel...lol!.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #7
rwsz

the roll line plates are good, might take a little bit to get use to them though. the fly boots are stiff but not heavy, not sure how u will like them or not. its a preference thing.