S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:22 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile I decided to call my old skating partner??????

I have been actually trying to work up the courage to call my old skating partner. Many people said "don't do it" and something inside me said "don't do it', but being the kind of the person I am, I decided to step over the line.

I actually have been trying to contact Anne for a long time. I never really had the courage to call up her parents, but I finally I did.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I called her Dad. He remembered me and remembered me skating with his daughter because he took videos of us skating together and said "she is in town, not far away and gave me her phone number".

I called Anne, but she was not at home and I left a number on her answering machine. In about and hour she called back.

We talked for about an hour and she said "got to go and make food for her husband, who was just getting up to go to work ". I answered "I hope we can talk again" and hung up. Wow! I didn't think I would ever do that...LOL!

I don't think Anne and I will ever skate again, but it was fun to get some things off my chest. I don't think Anne really cared, she just wanted to remember all the good ole times together...lol!

I don't know if all skating partners were the same, but we dated, when to the movies together, I took her to the Jr./Sr prom and she was probably the first girl I ever kissed...lol! She was my one and only skating partner. We had a lot of fun together.

I did tell her one thing. I said "Anne, you were the best looking girl I had ever knew". She answered "I'm still good looking...lol". That's Anne as confident as all heck. That's a woman for yah!

We did talk about dance a little. Anne said "Dance was like a picture frame, she did her part and smiled and I did mine and supplied the power", we were a team... and had a lot of fun doing it!

So that's dance in nutshell. Like the Madonna song, "Strike the Pose" that's what we tried to do...a certain picture in a frame of two people trying to look like we knew what we were doing and struggling all along the way...lol!

That's skating.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Ancient1

Larry,
If you asked me, I would have said to call her. Good job. Call me old fashioned but I would suggest you don't get into her and her families personal life after finding out she has a family. It would only give regrets and probably cause her to resent you later. But it was good that you connected.

I so wish I were there to help you with finding a partner. I had several partners all of which were very good. But I did have one mistake. My 3rd partner was a new skater and she could not keep up with me. I was too young to realize she would get much better. I politely dropped her and went to another rink and picked up someone closer to my skill level. about 2 years later we met again and she (the girl I dropped) was much better than I expected. MY LOSS! I also loved her maturity about it. She was judging me on my figures, and she was so gracious, I felt like a worm. Stupid mistake on my part. Moral of the story: DON'T FREAKIN PREJUDGE, FOR YE MAY BE POST-JUDGED IN RETURN.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:13 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Hey Jim, thanks for the reply.

I'm willing to bet Anne will come into my life later, if nothing else to keep her posted on my progress.

One of the things about our conversation, was that she has kept in close contact with all the people we use to skate with over 40 years ago.

I asked her how can that be? She said "Larry, they have never left this town". As I grew up and moved out of Monterey, many stayed and got jobs in the community. They never moved away and if they did they stayed in touch through social media. Anne said she searched for me, but I don't have a social media account...lol!

If you stay in the same town for 60 years, one by one you keep bumping into those people. Needless to say, I would love to run into them myself. I'm sure Anne will keep me posted.

I keep bringing up the "Pick a Partner" Competition we use to have when I was younger and competing. They still do it in the Bay Area/Northern, Ca but not in Southern, Ca.

So I figure, I will run into a "partner" some day from a competition. If that partner wants to skate with me, we will practice in different towns or states and hook up before a big meet and skate. Just like a "pick a partner" competion, but only this will be for a certain event that we both want to skate, but can't find partners in our own areas or rink.

I have actually started to skate with different girls in the beginning classes and as I get to know them better, I'm just goin' to grab one and say "let's skate".

Believe it or not that is how I use to skate. Girls and Pros use to grab me and say let's skate this dance. It was no big deal, but it was important to make sure all the boys were good skaters because they were definitely going to skate with a girl in competition. That was just the way it was in the old days..lol!

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote