S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 17th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #81
Jinx

Your story eerily echoes of what I'm going through currently. A year ago I was learning jumps and would practice them A ton.. 100+ jumps a day.. being a bit overweight didn't help...

My technique was flawed big time (still is). I take off too much on my toes and land leaning on my toes.. This of course does not make my knee tendons happy..

I believe I have this Pteller tendonitis or worse as well. I haven't been to a doc yet. But I wanted to ask a few questions..

1. Did you only experience pain when jumping? I.e. outside of the rink, casual walking or sitting on your knee's on the ground didn't agitate it or hurt it at all?

2. Was the pain immediate everytime after your first jump of the day/night? or did it build up and get worse each time? Usually mine border more on discomfort/light pain and the more and more I do the more it starts to hurt but never quite gets to soo painful that I don't want to jump again.

3. are you glad you had the surgery? I'm guessing this is not a cheap one to have? Also were you unable to drive yourself in a car for the first 6 weeks while in the brace?

4. how did this injury first surface? was it a single incident? or a slow build up?

When I first started experiencing this problem, I tried icing and IB and it wasn't that helpful. I then STOPPED jumping completely for about 5 or 6 months, (but still skated). Normal skating never really gave me any pain, and still doesn't If I don't do any jumps. it may be slightly stiff and irritated the next day, but for the most part I never have pain if I just skate. But staying off it, never fully healed it.. I've recently started doing more jumps thinking it would just get strong and I'd deal with the light pain, but now your story has me re-thinking that.

Anyways Kudos to you for having the surgery!!! p.s. What is your age if you don't mind me asking?
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #82
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

I had a lot of pain on landings. A LOT.

I could no longer do a ROB sit spin. It would hurt too much.

I used to run but a few years ago the last few times I ran I ended up having to walk back because the pain was too much.

Stairs were a real problem.

There was one day when I had been skating for a while and I was standing talking to a couple of people and something just felt like it tightened in my knee and I literally fell down because of the pain and then there was a really bad burning sensation.

The burning sensation I would have a lot. Especially after I skated and was driving home.

Yesterday I was jumping...just singles....but I did a flip and landed with a really deep knee bend....it was glorious! :-) So, I am 6.5 months post surgery at this point and I am just starting to land "big" singles. I can get height on the jump and not have much discomfort on the landing. Loop jumps are still not 100% comfortable because of the jumping on the right leg but they feel better every week. I can land a single axel ok. So, overall, just now I am starting to say I am glad I had the surgery. I am still building back the muscle I lost.

I wasn't supposed to drive for...well, a while, but I am the kind of person that doesn't take down time well. I was able to drive my car that doesn't have a center console by putting my foot on the other side and using my left foot at about 2-weeks post surgery.

I wore the knee immobilizer for maybe 3 weeks...once I had the stitches out it wasn't as big an issue. I would walk straight leg though. I was back on skates at about 6-weeks but only doing shallow scissors.

Overall I am glad I had the surgery. I can really tell a difference between my weaker repaired knee and my un-repaired knee. I have the same problem in the other knee but not as advanced.

Right now my biggest obstacle is my head. I spent a long time tweaking my skating to work around the injury (land straight leg, counter lean instead of bending...) I need to trust the knee and the repair but it just isn't "natural" for me yet. I have to think and tell myself that if I land with a knee bend that there won't be an explosion of pain. Physically, I know I am ready to start doing doubles but in my head I am terrified. It has been a year since I have done a double.

The injury, in my case, was progressive. I am fairly certain I had it from when I skated before and it just kept getting worse and worse. After the surgery the surgeon told me it was pretty advanced.

Yeah, the surgery maxed out my out of pocket for the year on my plan.

Push for the MRI. I spent nearly two years being told it was just tendonitis and ice and rest would clear it up. If there is a tear it will show up clear as day in an MRI but not in an x-ray.

Oh, and I am 46.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited by inverse137; December 18th, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #83
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Hey Inverse. Something you might want to try out. L-Arginine. Or as it is sometimes called when in a supplement, Nitric-Oxide. It is an amino acid found in higher concentrations in spinach, crab, shrimp, and some other foods.

It is an
Anti-inflammatory.
Vasodilator
Improves Immune
Improves Bone healing
Improved Sleep
Improves recovery (possibly in 2 ways. Increased blood flow AND enhanced cell to cell communication)
Improved cell to cell communication (The proof of this won someone a Nobel prize)
Improved Male Potency (a simple by product of vasodilatation)

Anecdotal effect: A kind of calm effect. I was coming home from a blood draw, btw, I asked the phlebotmist how my vein looked and he said great. I usually have hard to find veins. But I was driving home and a lady pulled out from a side street right in front of me. Hand I not hit the brakes hard, I would have hit her directly in her door. Well, accident averted, but as I drove away, I could not help but notice how calm I felt. I wrote a review on the actual product I use on amazon, and as I was reading some other reviews, I noticed a couple people mention the calm. And I said to myself, yeah, I notice that too.

Sleeping is better. I get up to the bathroom typically twice a night. I get up, go, and get right back to sleep. It seems to have also fixed my internal sleep timer. 8 and I am good. Up and ready to go. Oh, and that is another thing that seems to be better for me that I do not see noted anywhere else. The old difficulty peeing. I would not say that that has gone away, but it has lessened.

All of that blah blah blah, and I have not even gotten to the BEST PART.
The Anti-Inflammatory: It has worked wonders for me. Before, I could hardly squat 100lbs without irritating my knees. I had gotten up to 155 in a half squat, but then had some knee trouble. I am now squatting 220 (*FULL SQUAT*)and my knees feel fine. In fact, I will be doing 230 in a few minutes when I work out.

Now, my knees are bad. You can only get so much work or play out of them. But, it seems that it was the inflammation that was really limiting me. The Arginine knocked it out, and now I can LIFT meaningful weights.

The specific product I got is MRI NO2 Black, available at Rite Aid. Also available on Amazon. I have only taken half the recommended dose, as this seems to be aimed at hard core body builders. That half dose has been working fine for me. My sister is taking a quarter dose, and loves the feeling of energy it gives her.

Anyway, I had swung by this forum and saw some updates and just thought I would mention this to ya. Might be worth a look. Oh, I did get some stomach discomfort, which is a known issue taking the Arginine orally. Happened the first and part of the second week. I felt the benefits of the supplement right away, so I was prepared to move heaven and earth to "work out" the stomach issues. They seem to have worked themselves out. I do now take a split dose. Which is to say, I do not take the pills twice during the day. I take 2 pills (half dose) in the morning, and 2 pills before bed. That is working well for me.
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #84
larryoracing

Smile So, Inverse 137, How's the recovery/skating doing?

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #85
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

Funny, I was just thinking about this thread this morning....

It's been a little over 2 years since the surgery. It took a good 18-months for the knee to feel fully healed. In just the last 3 months or so it's felt REALLY good. I can do single jumps now and land with a deep knee bend (big singles with good height.) I have started running again and there is no pain. Over the last 2 years I would take 600mg of ibuprofen before I skated. Over the last month I haven't had to take anything before or after I skate or run.

Before the surgery when I landed a jump there was an explosion of pain. Now I land and it feels awesome.

Before the surgery I had a patella tendon that was more than 50% torn. Now I have about 80% of the tendon left but what is there is fully attached and healed.

The only problem: I lost my nerve to jump. I can do up to a single axel without any problem but as soon as i try any double I have visions of my knee tearing and I bail out of the jump.

The left knee, which has the same injury but not nearly as torn, is OK, but not great. I did an IB sit spin the other day but, while not extremely painful, was very uncomfortable. I don't think I will have it repaired anytime soon. I don't want to go through that again....

I get closer to jumping every day. I know I could land a double. I just need to get out of my head and try one. The first one is always the hardest.
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #86
Gee

Great to hear that things have worked out with your knee.
Old September 19th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #87
larryoracing

Smile Inverse 137, thanks for the reply!

I wouldn't want to tell you how to do anything for your injuries. And I'm glad you have regained full strength in your right knee.

It has become apparent to me many skaters have very serious injuries. Although my injuries 40 years ago were not serious, requiring surgery they were serious enough to make me quit skating before serious injury resulted. I had to give up skating which is really sad.

In my comeback journey I'm am very cautious not to hurt myself. I think it has made me a better skater. When I was younger I didn't care if I fell. Now (I'm almost 62...lol) I know falling could cause me to give up skating once again.

So, I skate cautiously and in do time I will try a double also. First I want to get the axel. You already have it. When I can do an axel, I wll move onto the double.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and good luck. Maybe we will see you at regionals this year. I have told my pros I want to skate regionals this year in singles. It will be Novice, since they don't want me to skate Sophomore "B" or "C" or anything like that...lol! What's the difference? I actually like the "B" and "C" events because there is a maximum difficulty in the hardness of jumps and spins you can put in a routine...lol! If you can do the maximum difficulty in a "B" or "C" event you can possibly win...lol and that's the objective, right?
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #88
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

I would recommend you skate novice as well.

Novice A this year had a range of people doing single jumps up to a few doing doubles.

That 2.5 minutes is also a relief compared to the 3.5 minutes for Sophomore.

I think my days of competing are over. I'm enjoying myself on the other side of the wall these days.

But, who knows. Maybe for my 50th I'll skate one last time.
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:50 AM   #89
larryoracing

Smile Inverse 137, Your advice is good..LOL!

I spent a lot of money recording and watching the Sophmore "A" Ladies Singles/Nationals and the Freshman "A" Girls Singles/Natioinals and came to the startling conclusion that I could not perform one element of any of those girls routines.

That is pretty sad on my part and really showed that I really don't have any content to compete with. I don't think any of the above routines performed any singles except the axel. The girls were pretty good. You just take all the jumps and spins for granted and don't realize how hard those elements are to perform.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Novice Men at Nationals but they have not posted those performance yet for purchase. I did notice that nobody from California participated in the Nationals Novice Men at Nationals.

I did see one gentleman competing in Southern, Ca and when I think about it, I don't think I could perform one element of his routine either. I guess I got a lot to learn/ a long ways to go...lol!

I hope someday you might comeback for your 50th.That would be really neat!

sincerely,

Larry Oand good luck.
Old September 21st, 2016, 04:41 PM   #90
Ozark133

Default Novice Men Freeskating

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I spent a lot of money recording and watching the Sophmore "A" Ladies Singles/Nationals and the Freshman "A" Girls Singles/Natioinals and came to the startling conclusion that I could not perform one element of any of those girls routines.

That is pretty sad on my part and really showed that I really don't have any content to compete with. I don't think any of the above routines performed any singles except the axel. The girls were pretty good. You just take all the jumps and spins for granted and don't realize how hard those elements are to perform.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Novice Men at Nationals but they have not posted those performance yet for purchase. I did notice that nobody from California participated in the Nationals Novice Men at Nationals.

I did see one gentleman competing in Southern, Ca and when I think about it, I don't think I could perform one element of his routine either. I guess I got a lot to learn/ a long ways to go...lol!

I hope someday you might comeback for your 50th.That would be really neat!

sincerely,

Larry Oand good luck.
================================

Here are two Novice Men's routines from prior nationals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wURBXg1eGcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40an1swf8s
Ozark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 10:15 PM   #91
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark133 View Post
================================

Here are two Novice Men's routines from prior nationals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wURBXg1eGcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40an1swf8s
That's novice huh? I thought they were really, really good routines. Wish I were half that good.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote