S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1
srknurse

Default Bob LaBriola's "formula"...?

Hi, everyone -

If you are a friend of Leroy Hicks on Facebook, he posted a video about Bob LaBriola's "formula" - in that Bob had over 400 kids in Saturday morning lessons. Please take a moment to look at this (it's his personal video, so no link), and post your thoughts....why IS Bob LaBriola so successful? What is he doing that others could emulate?
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool Bob has a website also

Quote:
Originally Posted by srknurse View Post
Hi, everyone -

If you are a friend of Leroy Hicks on Facebook, he posted a video about Bob LaBriola's "formula" - in that Bob had over 400 kids in Saturday morning lessons. Please take a moment to look at this (it's his personal video, so no link), and post your thoughts....why IS Bob LaBriola so successful? What is he doing that others could emulate?
Bob also has a website to discuss some of his ideas, hash over other ideas???

http://www.boblabriola.com/

And another Pro here on the East Coast Bobby Wilson from Roller Kingdom in Hudson, Mass. also has some interesting ideas on the current state of our sport, and possible solutions?? Just click the Ideas of Improvement button.

http://www.rkhudsonskatingclub.com/

Yep I am following Leroy and Alan on their quest.. They are both going through Hell to get'er done...

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #3
srknurse

Default Bob LaBriola

I've seen both sites. Unfortunate that the National Office isn't responding to the latter website's posting.

Do Leroy and Alan have to skate WC as that was their last division? That is what I was thinking.

I think their "Vision Quest" is wonderful. Would love to start one of my own; am going to try to figure out how to do so - but with two children under age 2, it may be challenging. However, returning to art skating is something that I think about at least several times a week, so if there's a will, there's a way, right? Welllllll, maybe a bit more difficult here in SE OK....
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default I believe WC is their intention???

Quote:
I've seen both sites. Unfortunate that the National Office isn't responding to the latter website's posting.

Do Leroy and Alan have to skate WC as that was their last division? That is what I was thinking.

I think their "Vision Quest" is wonderful. Would love to start one of my own; am going to try to figure out how to do so - but with two children under age 2, it may be challenging. However, returning to art skating is something that I think about at least several times a week, so if there's a will, there's a way, right? Welllllll, maybe a bit more difficult here in SE OK....
I have talked to both of them on Facebook, and that seems to be their direction.. Of course I didn't broach the subject about minimum requirements for WC, that pesky Double Axel and Triple Toe, thing..

Of course the National office isn't happy about any input from out side the inner circle.. But as it stands much of what goes on at Nationals is simply not worthy of a National event!! It's more about perpetuating a failed agenda, and generating as much money as possible...

Bobby I think is on the right track, I hope his ideas get some traction with the skaters, maybe some day the skaters will actually run the organization???

WOW what a concept???
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #5
rwsz

Quote:

Nurse they dont have to skate world class i dont think. when Derick stopped you can go down after being out of skating over 3 years i think it was. so they could probably skate junior men, sophomore but not sure if they can ever do J O or what jo is now lol.

i dont see them competing at a high level, they only seem to have some singles under their belts now and it isnt easy at that age to get a lot more then a couple of doubles their first year back i would imagine.
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #6
srknurse

Default skating

A friend told me that if you're over 40 and skating freestyle, even if you've skated WC in the past, then you no longer have to skate WC. Wonder what Leroy and Alan are skating. Novice B would be a good choice???
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #7
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Question I just sent Alan a note asking what division they will be skating???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Nurse they dont have to skate world class i dont think. when Derick stopped you can go down after being out of skating over 3 years i think it was. so they could probably skate junior men, sophomore but not sure if they can ever do J O or what jo is now lol.

i dont see them competing at a high level, they only seem to have some singles under their belts now and it isnt easy at that age to get a lot more then a couple of doubles their first year back i would imagine.
I just sent Alan a note asking what division they will be skating??? But I was pretty sure they were looking to skate WC Singles.. Perhaps as Rigionals get closer, clearer minds will prevail???

Old July 10th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #8
larryoracing

Smile Bob and Joan Labriola 1951 Sr Dance Champions

I bought an old magazine on Ebay. Skating News Feb 1952.

On the Cover was Bob and Joan Labriola, 1951 Sr Dance Champions.

The Photo is below. Click on the Link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140731...posted-public/

Click on the next link for the write up of the photo on page 2 of the magazine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140731...posted-public/

I was surprised that Bob Labriola not only won the Sr. Dance Competition, but also Intermediate Pairs and Senior Fours.

That was the first time in the History of the RSROA that a Sr. Dance Champion also won major free skating events.
The article also stated Bob and Joan also held Gold Metals in Dance Proficiency. It said "at one time the only amateurs in the country to hold the honor".

Larry O.... and happy skating and good luck at Nationals.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile The most important thing in roller skating.

I was talking to Bob today. I usually don't talk to Bob Labriola, but I usually don't have much to say..lol!

But today I had a question. It was about my dance, solo, Veterans and what to wear. In a nut shell, he said "Black" and go easy on the sequins, and all the glitter and the like. He thinks it well done to much at Nationals.

Along the way he focused on something he wanted me to concentrate on. Although Bob does not teach me yet, he watches me and gives advice.

It usually the same thing, stick that chest out and act like your a champion. Fountain Valley "T" shirts say "Skate with Pride"!

Bob took a casual example. He said "see that young lady". I looked her way and nodded. See how she stands with prominence, head up and chest out...like she's somebody. I said yeah, I have to agree, she was a good looking lady. Bob said "'we know nothing of what she is like on the inside', 'but at first glance we all look and say she sure looks good or stunning'".

He said "that what we want to see in our young skaters". Stand tall, chest out like your somebody. From their we can work on the other things he thinks is important, but first of all you must feel your important and look the part.

That's what the judges see first and grade on...first impressions.

Sincerely,

And look, dress and act the part..no matter what else...lol! We can work on the rest.

Larry O and happy dance skating!

Last edited by larryoracing; September 11th, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old October 7th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #10
larryoracing

Smile Team Dance Lessons?

1) A while back, 2-3 weeks ago Bob threw an idea at me, that I didn't really believe. He said you should be able to take two good skaters that are perfect skating by themselves, then throw them together and they should be a very good team, with not much practice at all.

1a) In essence you don't have to skate with a girl to be a good team partner with her. If she is good and you are good in the fundamentals, the two of you should be able to skate/come together with not much practice and become a good team??????

2) I didn't really believe the idea, or understand the reasoning behind what he was saying or trying to do???. I thought it took a lot of time for two good skaters to skate together become one and skate well.? That was my personal experience from 40 years ago.

---------------------------------------------------

3) The other day I saw Bob's idea come into practice. I have never seen this way of teaching before, but heck maybe all teams are taught this way today???? You tell me...lol!

a) A team came from out-of-state to take lessons with Bob.

1) The boy without the girl took a lesson. The girl was not on the floor.

2) Next the girl came on the floor and the boy sat down in the eating area. And the girl took her lesson.

3) Finally after 1 hour of both taking private lessons with the same coach on the same dances, the Boy and Girl skated together and took the final lesson as a team/together.

4) I finally figured out what Bob was trying to tell me and instill into my skating.

Sincerely,

Larry O and to skate well with a partner, you must become an excellent solo skater first...lol! Hence why solo dance skating is so important!
Old October 7th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #11
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
1) A while back, 2-3 weeks ago Bob threw an idea at me, that I didn't really believe. He said you should be able to take two good skaters that are perfect skating by themselves, then throw them together and they should be a very good team, with not much practice at all.

1a) In essence you don't have to skate with a girl to be a good team partner with her. If she is good and you are good in the fundamentals, the two of you should be able to skate/come together with not much practice and become a good team??????

2) I didn't really believe the idea, or understand the reasoning behind what he was saying or trying to do???. I thought it took a lot of time for two good skaters to skate together become one and skate well.? That was my personal experience from 40 years ago.

3) The other day I saw Bob's idea come into practice. I have never seen this way of teaching before, but heck maybe all teams are taught this way today???? You tell me...lol!

2) Next the girl came on the floor and the boy sat down in the eating area. And the girl took her lesson.

3) Finally after 1 hour of both taking private lessons with the same coach on the same dances, the Boy and Girl skated together and took the final lesson as a team/together.

4) I finally figured out what Bob was trying to tell me and instill into my skating.

Sincerely,

Larry O and to skate well with a partner, you must become an excellent solo skater first...lol! Hence why solo dance skating is so important!
A lot of teams that skate at different rinks,at a distance do this, its very common.

Also depends on the experience of the skaters.

I know a few years ago, I had a number of try outs, with woman that I had never skated with, and we did fine together. She stays in her tube, and I stay in mine. Even had a try out with a woman at Nationals that had never skated with a partner before, she did fine, we did easier dances, got to feel each other out for a few times around the rink, and then you skate. I was experienced enough with a partner to know and understand what she what going to do.

I have skated with women that are much better then I am also, and again, they were experienced enough to know what I was going to do, and what to expect.

I would say that its a common occurance.
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #12
Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

Sincerely,

Glad you discovered that. The same has been true in my ballroom dancing. If I am really good in ballroom dancing then I know how to lead properly and if she is really good then she knows how to recognize the leads. On a dance social, I may dance with a dozen females I have never danced with before.

There are some moves such as a Mohawk turn that are done slightly differently when skating with a partner then skating solo. Once I learnt the difference, it is the same move for any partner.