S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile I have been watching a lot of National Videos.

All of the Sophomore Ladies Singles.
All of the Freshman Ladies Singles.
All of the Sophomore and Freshman Men Singles
All of the Creative Solo Dance "A".

The first thing that came to mind was what is the difference between Singles and Creative Solo Dance? I almost enjoyed the singles more than the Creative Solo Dance.

The second thing I learned was an appreciation for how much work it takes to do singles and creative solo dance routines.

The third thing I learned was a kind of sadness for all the competitors who work so hard and only three get a medal.

Larry O

P.S. We are lucky to have so many people who love to skate and perform. I really enjoyed the videos. Tenacioussports.com

1) I'm sure most know this but you can buy some software that is called "capture screen" software.
1a) So anything you see on the computer monitor will be saved in a file.
1b)Then I use the "Capture Screen" edit software to play back the videos in order, 1st place, 2nd, 3rd etc/skater.
1d) You can buy a little box that plugs into the back of your computer VGA outputjack that goes to the TV RCA Component Video inputs on your DVR as you are watching the skaters on playback from the computer screen.
1e) I just record the skaters in order on a DVD on the DVD Video Recorder as I'm watching the video on the computer screen. The computer screen is plugged into the DVD video recorder.
1f) You can buy very cheaply a DVD coping machine.

I like watching the skaters in order. 1st place, 2nd place , 3rd , etc so you can see the gradual degradation of performance and you know why one skater got marked lower than previous.

Last edited by larryoracing; October 1st, 2016 at 11:07 PM.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
All of the Sophomore Ladies Singles.
All of the Freshman Ladies Singles.
All of the Sophomore and Freshman Men Singles
All of the Creative Solo Dance "A".

The first thing that came to mind was what is the difference between Singles and Creative Solo Dance? I almost enjoyed the singles more than the Creative Solo Dance.

The second thing I learned was an appreciation for how much work it takes to do singles and creative solo dance routines.

The third thing I learned was a kind of sadness for all the competitors who work so hard and only three get a medal.

Larry O

P.S. We are lucky to have so many people who love to skate and perform. I really enjoyed the videos. Tenacioussports.com

1) I'm sure most know this but you can buy some software that is called "capture screen" software.
1a) So anything you see on the computer monitor will be saved in a file.
1b)Then I use the "Capture Screen" edit software to play back the videos in order, 1st place, 2nd, 3rd etc/skater.
1d) You can buy a little box that plugs into the back of your computer VGA outputjack that goes to the TV RCA Component Video inputs on your DVR as you are watching the skaters on playback from the computer screen.
1e) I just record the skaters in order on a DVD on the DVD Video Recorder as I'm watching the video on the computer screen. The computer screen is plugged into the DVD video recorder.
1f) You can buy very cheaply a DVD coping machine.
1g) After I make one master DVD I put that master into the DVD coping machine and make several copies to give to fellow competitors.

I like watching the skaters in order. 1st place, 2nd place , 3rd , etc so you can see the gradual degradation of performance and you know why one skater got marked lower than previous.
Although I am a proponent of materials entering the public domain much, much faster and easier than they currently do. Mostly because I would like to see free access to information and education at all levels.

I feel this (although a fun technical exercise) may still be slightly illegal at this point. Recording for "time shift" may be defendable. I believe that was upheld in the 70's when vcr recorders were popular. But copying and handing out copies may go a bit beyond that.

Disclaimer: This is not a legal opinion. Well it is, but not a qualified one.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Gee

I have been watching many dance videos. The most recent one is the Tango Delancha. First it shows the dance at normal speed then it shows the dance in slow speed and identifies many of the technical executions that the judges observe. As seen from the video, it seems toe stops do not get in the way of properly executed dance steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbknksrhtT0

Here is one using the Starlight Waltz pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDv-4pbMrSY
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
i have been watching many dance videos. The most recent one is the tango delancha. First it shows the dance at normal speed then it shows the dance in slow speed and identifies many of the technical executions that the judges observe. As seen from the video, it seems toe stops do not get in the way of properly executed dance steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbknksrhtt0

here is one using the starlight waltz pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdv-4pbmrsy

awesome find!
Old October 1st, 2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Derrick

[QUOTE][Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
For Competition for people 55 years old the new dances are:

Bounce Boogie [XB-ROF, XB-LOF, XB-ROF sequence]
Carey Foxtrot
Luna Blues [XB-RIF]
La Vista Cha Cha [XF-ROF, XB-LIF and XF-LOF, XB-RIF sequences]
Pilgrim Waltz
and Tara Tango [XB-RIF]

Larry O/QUOTE]

I feel like XB-ROF (and others) would cause my feet to crash into each other. Is the left starting IF?
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:48 PM   #6
larryoracing

Smile Derrick let's get the steps right?

Quote:
For Competition for people 55 years old, the new dances are
Quote:
Bounce Boogie [XB-ROF, XB-LOF, XB-ROF sequence
Should be:
Bounce Boogie [XB-RIF, XB-LOF, XB-RIF sequence]

Quote:
Quote:
I feel like XB-ROF (and others) would cause my feet to crash into each other. Is the left starting IF?
Your example would be correct if the dances were performed in the opposite direction...ie...Clockwise.

Quote:
I feel like XB-ROF (should be XB-RIF) and others would cause my feet to crash into each other.
Derrick, I agree when first learning the XB-RIF (Standard XB) you feel like your feet would crash into one another. Practice makes perfect and many people never make it perfect...lol! Those who do are winners in competition.

The second XB-LOF is non standard and was added to dances like the Bounce Boogie many years later. I'm guessing sometime in the 90's where I learned the first XB-LOF in the 60's.

I don't know why they added such complicated steps to basic dances. I assume they wanted to give American Dance a more International flavor. But many of these steps/dances are in divisions for old people. I think these complicated steps make it hard for old person who are just learning to dance.

Hence, a lot of these old people are ex-champions from when they were young and not old people just learning to skate. I wonder if the people in charges have lost track of who will be really learning and skating these dances.

Larry O and thanks for asking the question.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Gee

Quote:
Should be:
Bounce Boogie [XB-RIF, XB-LOF, XB-RIF sequence]
Yes. I made a mistake there. It is a good thing I did not attempt to skate XB-ROF, XB-LOF, XB-ROF.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:36 AM   #8
Derrick

OK forward cross pretty goodish (not that I would really know). Back cross pretty badish. Can a back cross be learned from the front or totally independent.

I don't really need to learn these moves, but I'm writing s book. OK, just a blog.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:50 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile If it feels "good" it's probably preety good...lol!

Quote:
OK forward cross pretty goodish (not that I would really know). Back cross pretty badish.

Quote:
Can a back cross be learned from the front or totally independent.

Yes. One of the steps in the "Skaters March" is a:

XF-ROF: XB-RIF. So, Yes a XB can be learned from the front...lol!

Quote:
I don't really need to learn these moves, but I'm writing s book. OK, just a blog.

Yes, we are all writing a book/Blog and people are reading it every day..LOL!

Larry O and join a Artistic Club, to learn all these basic steps. FVSC teaches these steps every Saturday Morning in Jr. Club.