S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 25th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #21
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Hi Rick,
Connies is selling the 297 Professional for about $420.

I talked to Jody at Connies and he said that he would check with Sure Grip Snyder department to see if I can get the trade up. He said he would get back to me on Tuesday after Christmas.

I am not worried. If they won't do the trade up then I will just buy another pair of plates. Heck I am due for a new pair of super deluxe plates.

Rick, I appreciate your input. It really helps.
good luck with them, boy boots have become expensive lol. new plate would be nice.
Old December 25th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #22
Ancient1

Merry Christmas Rick,
Yes, They are expensive. I remember my first pair of Snyder Super Deluxe with boots and wheels and bearings was under $250 totally. Now I will pay 1K easily... Scratch that, it won't be easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
good luck with them, boy boots have become expensive lol. new plate would be nice.
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #23
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Merry Christmas Rick,
Yes, They are expensive. I remember my first pair of Snyder Super Deluxe with boots and wheels and bearings was under $250 totally. Now I will pay 1K easily... Scratch that, it won't be easy...
Thatís why I switched my kids to Edea/Roll Line. I canít get them for much cheaper than traditional boots and my kids have 3-4 pairs that have to be replaced annually.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #24
Ancient1

Merry Christmas Aaron,
I feel for you and you wallet. It's tough enough to pay for your own skates let alone for kids skates. I don't blame you for switching for a lower price.

BTW: You are familiar with skates, so what do you think about my computations for my boot and plate size? When I competed I never considered it. I let the rink handle it. But now I don't trust the people at the rinks in my area to get it right, so I have to depend on myself and input from those in this forum. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
Thatís why I switched my kids to Edea/Roll Line. I canít get them for much cheaper than traditional boots and my kids have 3-4 pairs that have to be replaced annually.
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #25
Ancient1

Default A new question

I am set on the Riedell boots. It's set in stone.

But I am not set on the plates. If I can't get a trade up on the Super Deluxe, my plans are still to replace with another Super Deluxe at the correct size. But I might consider Roll-Line plates for freestyle. I could use some input on a few items.

1. Are any of the freestyle plates at a 15 degree kingpin angle?
2. Can anyone describe the feel between Super Deluxe and the freestyle variations of Roll-Line plates?

Since the plates I get are mostly for freestyle I am looking for control vs deep edges. I felt that the advantage plates I had last were great but I always felt like they were not as solid as my Super Deluxe.
3. Do any of the Roll-Line Plates feel solid on leans? I don't want cheap feeling plates.

Thanks
Old December 25th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #26
Ancient1

Default been doing some searching

Been doing a little research on Roll-Line vs Snyder.

Between the Energy and Matrix. Not worried about price difference. I am looking for stability. (This is of course if I can't get sure grip to provide a super deluxe plate size upgrade). What I have read is that the energy seems to be as solid feeling as the imperial from Snyder so I suspect it would be as solid or better than the super deluxe.

For those of you who have tried both Snyder and Roll-Line, would you agree with the above?

Connies has both plates and they are approx $550 for Matrix and $500 for Energy. I know I still need wheels, cushions and bearings and toe stop. But if they provide a good solid feel then they will be in my top decision list.

Rick, I am still leaning toward the professional boot but if I get the Roll-Line plates I might consider the 336 Tribute. I am concerned about the tribute as being weak and too flexible, but I am keeping it as a possibility.
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #27
Slinkydog

I can't give you a direct comparison from the Super Deluxe plates to the Energy plates, but I switched from an Atlas, (which I used as a multi-purpose plate for some light freestyle and dance) to an Energy, and even for dance the action feels better.
It holds an edge very well compared to the Atlas plates, but responds faster when I need it to and is considerably lighter.
One experienced freestyle coach that I know still loves to use Snyder Super Deluxe plates for her skaters, but only because of the extra weight (Like wearing ankle weights) and ease of acquiring them at a low price compared to Roll-Line plates.
I would highly recommend abandoning Snyder plates and just switching to Roll-Line, one reason being that they offer an extensive variety of cushions for increased customization of the action. The reasons that I see to not switch would be the cost of Roll-Line plates, and the fact that you've skated on Super Deluxe plates for so long that you would rather not go through the period of adjustment getting used to different plates.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #28
Ancient1

Merry Christmas Slinky,

The weight won't bother me with Snyder. Cost difference right now using Connies for their prices is about $150 more for the Energy.

The more I think about not getting and free size upgrade is pushing me to the Roll Line, especially for the price. I have also looked at the cost of wheels and the descriptions of them. I have decided that if I go to the Energy plate that I will get the Leopard wheels and an added benefit seems to be the bearings for them. Although the bearings are on the Medium high price they seem to be able to handle the torture I would give them.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #29
Ancient1

Just priced out and ready to skate from Connies (mounted and boot correctly sized) Energy plate, Riedell 297 boot, Leopard Wheels and everything needed to make it work except my feet inside them.

Cost came out to $1,245 and what ever tax I will owe. Not sure if I will owe tax since over internet and Connies is in another state.

Super Deluxe is not a sure on wheels I will need, but totally put together will be about $1000 ready to skate if I have to buy plates.

Cool thing on the Energy plate is that my boot size is right in the middle of the 180 plate. That should put my balance spot on. I may have a bit of adjusting to the new plates but thinking about it is bringing me a smile...
Old December 25th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #30
larryoracing

Smile Hey Jim, Good luck and Merry Christmas!

It looks like you got it all figured out...lol!

Out of curiosity what is the difference between a normal 297 and a "professional" 297?

1) I got a feeling you should stick with your Synder Deluxe Skates.

a) And I think you should stick with your original length/size of Synder Deluxe plates that have served you well all your life. Why change and in fact, I think it would be a big mistake to change the length of plate this late in the game, at your age and experience. Everything you have done have been on one length plate. Stick with it.

b) In fact, if you bought yourself a new pair or Freestyle skates/Roll Line... measure the axel distance on your existing Synder Deluxe plates and buy the Roll Line plate that has the same axel to axel spacing.

2) I personally roll on a pair of Energy Freestyle plates. They are nice and I don't really have anything good or bad to say about them. I loved my Synder Imperial plates, but I am not skating on the original length, which is a size 8 plate. The new boots I bought were a little larger so I bought a larger plate, Synder size 9 plate and they skate OK. I have no complaints.

I think the Riedell boots are a little larger/bigger physically and that is why the Riedell chart says to go to a larger plate. But really stick with the shorter plate, which is known as a Artistic Mounting, which most experienced skaters/old time skaters skate on shorter plates.

There are plenty of used Fafnir bearings on the market. It's just you have to buy the whole skate to get them and most skates are very cheap. Buy the whole skate for less than a new pair of Bones Bearings.

Wheels, well I skate on Roll Line, but I forgot which ones, Mustangs? or Leopards?, but I know the hardness which is 97A. I don't skate very rough or fast on my freestlye skates and I don't do Hockey Stops.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. Jim we are very old. I'm 62 and you would laugh at the talent in the Mens Novice Division/singles/Freestyle. They just are not that good...lol! Nobody does anything clean. Nobody has a clean double mapes or axel or can do a Camel that spins 3 revolutions.

In Southern California there is only one boy/man who does Mens Novice Singles. At Regionals only one skater participated and at Nationals I think there were only 7. So you see there are just not many skaters if any that are over 60 years old and still skate Freestyle.

I'm going to tell you something that Peter taught me. Don't try any jump you don't think you can land. If you think you can do a double mapes, by all means do a double mapes. I try all the time and don't fall, but come short. I'm very confident in my ability and skills. I skate everyday, sometimes 3-4 hours per day.

But if you don't think you can do a jump, don't do it until you obtain, the courage, the skills, sometimes off line jumping and the talent to perform the jump. Doing otherwise can result in injury and nobody needs that.

There are lots of things you can do in freestyle to get you ready to perform a jump or spin. Don't try one until you are ready and you know you can do the jump or spin.

Good luck and sincerely,

Larry O:biggrin

P.S. I have a very good friend at Nationals. He is very good and about my age, somewhere between 55 and 65. He wins and he skates on Synder Imperial Skates and Gold Star Boots. I have a lot of money invested in skates and I don't even come close to winning. In fact, last year/my first year back in skating I placed next to last at Nationals and skated as well as I could...lol! But I did do well in figures. I got 6th.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #31
Ancient1

Merry Christmas to you too Larry,

297 is called the Professional. Sorry for the confusion.

If I do stick with the Snyder, I will need a larger size. Those plates were matched to boots that were much smaller. I noticed as I got older that my feet hurt but stupid me I didn't realize my feet were growing. So I have no choice but to get a larger boot and I will match the plate so that it is over the ball and heal properly.

If I use the Super Deluxe, I need some slicker wheels. I will be surprised if I can get a free size upgrade on my super deluxe plates. So it means buying new plates.

The leopard are 99A hardness. The Mustang are 97A. It is important that I get slicker wheels than I have bought in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
It looks like you got it all figured out...lol!

Out of curiosity what is the difference between a normal 297 and a "professional" 297?

1) I got a feeling you should stick with your Synder Deluxe Skates.

a) And I think you should stick with your original length/size of Synder Deluxe plates that have served you well all your life. Why change and in fact, I think it would be a big mistake to change the length of plate this late in the game, at your age and experience. Everything you have done have been on one length plate. Stick with it.

b) In fact, if you bought yourself a new pair or Freestyle skates/Roll Line... measure the axel distance on your existing Synder Deluxe plates and buy the Roll Line plate that has the same axel to axel spacing.

2) I personally roll on a pair of Energy Freestyle plates. They are nice and I don't really have anything good or bad to say about them. I loved my Synder Imperial plates, but I am not skating on the original length, which is a size 8 plate. The new boots I bought were a little larger so I bought a larger plate, Synder size 9 plate and they skate OK. I have no complaints.

I think the Riedell boots are a little larger/bigger physically and that is why the Riedell chart says to go to a larger plate. But really stick with the shorter plate, which is known as a Artistic Mounting, which most experienced skaters/old time skaters skate on shorter plates.

There are plenty of used Fafnir bearings on the market. It's just you have to buy the whole skate to get them and most skates are very cheap. Buy the whole skate for less than a new pair of Bones Bearings.

Wheels, well I skate on Roll Line, but I forgot which ones, Mustangs? or Leopards?, but I know the hardness which is 97A. I don't skate very rough or fast on my freestlye skates and I don't do Hockey Stops.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. Jim we are very old. I'm 62 and you would laugh at the talent in the Mens Novice Division/singles/Freestyle. They just are not that good...lol! Nobody does anything clean. Nobody has a clean double mapes or axel or can do a Camel that spins 3 revolutions.

In Southern California there is only one boy/man who does Mens Novice Singles. At Regionals only one skater participated and at Nationals I think there were only 7. So you see there are just not many skaters if any that are over 60 years old and still skate Freestyle.

I'm going to tell you something that Peter taught me. Don't try any jump you don't think you can land. If you think you can do a double mapes, by all means do a double mapes. I try all the time and don't fall, but come short. I'm very confident in my ability and skills. I skate everyday, sometimes 3-4 hours per day.

But if you don't think you can do a jump, don't do it until you obtain, the courage, the skills, sometimes off line jumping and the talent to perform the jump. Doing otherwise can result in injury and nobody needs that.

There are lots of things you can do in freestyle to get you ready to perform a jump or spin. Don't try one until you are ready and you know you can do the jump or spin.

Good luck and sincerely,

Larry O:biggrin

P.S. I have a very good friend at Nationals. He is very good and about my age, somewhere between 55 and 65. He wins and he skates on Synder Imperial Skates and Gold Star Boots. I have a lot of money invested in skates and I don't even come close to winning. In fact, last year/my first year back in skating I placed next to last at Nationals and skated as well as I could...lol! But I did do well in figures. I got 6th.
Old December 26th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #32
larryoracing

Smile Jim I made a mistake. I'm skating on 99A's.

Great wheel, but I skate on really stiff boots that make the wheels grip more in my opinion...lol!

I think the Energy skate will be similar to the Synder Deluxe.

I have not skated on my Roll Line Matrix skates yet, so I can't give you an opinion.

I could never skate on a 297 or Ice Fly. Too weak in my humble opinion.

Although my boots are stiff, Edea Concerto, you can get too stiff of a boot and the Concerto's are almost at the limit...lol!

Good Luck!

Larry O
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #33
Ancient1

Hi Larry,
I just found out that one of the skating rinks in my area just closed down. I am bummed out. The other one near is one I don't like that much. I am really getting depressed now. Oh woe is me. Now I may have to rethink my plans.
Old December 26th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #34
Slinkydog

Is the Concerto really more stiff than the Ice Fly?
According to Edea's website the Concerto has a stiffness rating of 85, while the Ice Fly is rated as a 90.

The Edea Roller Fly is only a 50, and that's super stiff to me! I can't imagine how stiff an Ice Fly would be!

It's always sad when a rink closes down, especially one close to you.....
Anyway, good luck and merry Christmas to you all, as someone who has only recently gotten into Figures/Freestyle/Dance skating and still has a LOT to learn, it's always nice to see that people are still active in the artistic skating part of this forum.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #35
rwsz

Quote:
Been doing a little research on Roll-Line vs Snyder.

Between the Energy and Matrix. Not worried about price difference. I am looking for stability. (This is of course if I can't get sure grip to provide a super deluxe plate size upgrade). What I have read is that the energy seems to be as solid feeling as the imperial from Snyder so I suspect it would be as solid or better than the super deluxe.

For those of you who have tried both Snyder and Roll-Line, would you agree with the above?

Connies has both plates and they are approx $550 for Matrix and $500 for Energy. I know I still need wheels, cushions and bearings and toe stop. But if they provide a good solid feel then they will be in my top decision list.

Rick, I am still leaning toward the professional boot but if I get the Roll-Line plates I might consider the 336 Tribute. I am concerned about the tribute as being weak and too flexible, but I am keeping it as a possibility.
I like the energy steel axle plates but not sure about their newer ones. the cushions and usually a toe stop comes with them. make sure they know your weight u probably want harder cushions so its not too fast on the action.
Old December 27th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #36
amohrfeld

Quote:
I am set on the Riedell boots. It's set in stone.

But I am not set on the plates. If I can't get a trade up on the Super Deluxe, my plans are still to replace with another Super Deluxe at the correct size. But I might consider Roll-Line plates for freestyle. I could use some input on a few items.

1. Are any of the freestyle plates at a 15 degree kingpin angle?
2. Can anyone describe the feel between Super Deluxe and the freestyle variations of Roll-Line plates?

Since the plates I get are mostly for freestyle I am looking for control vs deep edges. I felt that the advantage plates I had last were great but I always felt like they were not as solid as my Super Deluxe.
3. Do any of the Roll-Line Plates feel solid on leans? I don't want cheap feeling plates.

Thanks
1. Don't worry too much about the king pin angle. It is almost meaningless by itself. The overall geometry (angle of rotation) is important. King pin angle plays a part in this geometry but it does not tell the entire story.

2. I just started switching away from Snyder and into Roll Line. The Roll line is lighter and snappy. The Snyder feels sluggish in comparison.

3. Somewhat subjective, but it has just as much to do with the boot. I'm not sure what you mean by cheap feeling in leans. I've improved many plates by replacing cushions. The plastic plates can bend and feel un-precise. But I have found the cushions on the Roll line provide the best of both worlds: solid feel and accuracy. I definitely recommend it over the Snyder. The Roll Line is just more advanced technology. Even the Royal and Advantage are based on the original Snyder design.

By the way, I have all the boots discussed and in your situation I would recommend the 297.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #37
larryoracing

Smile Dear Jim, Sorry to hear about your rink Closure!

Dear Jim,

Sorry to hear about your rink closure. You still could skate outside. I recently went skating outside. Near the beach. Actually right at the waterfront. It was a lot of fun. I could see how someone could skate completely outside and never miss going to the rink.

My personal experience is that the Concerto is a much taller, traditional boot. And the Ice Fly boots that I bought were used and not as stiff. I guess the part that I really did not like, was that the boots were low cut and more prone to ankle injuries. I came from the old days where boots were really stiff. My Riedell Gold stars and those are the boots I prefer for freestyle, for safety reasons and to be injury free.

As far as Synders not being as good as Roll Lines. That may be true, but you can pick up a whole pair of Synders for really cheap. Buy a pair of Roll Lines and you have to mortgage the house. For many kids and families buying a pair of Roll Line Skates is out of the question. Not many used pairs for sale.

Sincerely,

Larry O and Happy New Year!
Old December 27th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #38
Ancient1

Hi Larry,
We seem to be on the same wavelength. I was thinking about outside skating. I have noticed there are a lot of outside wheels now. I will also have to deal with road rash so protection will be necessary again.

Larry, Maybe you could recommend some really good outside wheels. I am not too worried about low top boots. I actually did some freestyle in my speed skates when I was younger with not much problem.

I still need a good plate, but probably not a Roll-Line plate. Maybe go back to my original plan of upgrading my Snyder plate to skate outside with a cheaper boot than the 297 boot but still a high top with some support. I can always change wheels if I find a skating rink I like. Also a good chance to get my skating legs back.

Everyone, Please let me know your experience with outside wheels. I have zero. The only ones I tried were my old indoor wheels on a very smooth concrete outside slab. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Dear Jim,

Sorry to hear about your rink closure. You still could skate outside. I recently went skating outside. Near the beach. Actually right at the waterfront. It was a lot of fun. I could see how someone could skate completely outside and never miss going to the rink.

My personal experience is that the Concerto is a much taller, traditional boot. And the Ice Fly boots that I bought were used and not as stiff. I guess the part that I really did not like, was that the boots were low cut and more prone to ankle injuries. I came from the old days where boots were really stiff. My Riedell Gold stars and those are the boots I prefer for freestyle, for safety reasons and to be injury free.

As far as Synders not being as good as Roll Lines. That may be true, but you can pick up a whole pair of Synders for really cheap. Buy a pair of Roll Lines and you have to mortgage the house. For many kids and families buying a pair of Roll Line Skates is out of the question. Not many used pairs for sale.

Sincerely,

Larry O and Happy New Year!
Old December 27th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #39
Ancient1

Larry got me thinking and I really could use some input on his idea.

I remembered that Tallahassee has a skate park. It's free and open 24 hrs. I will need protection again so this is a time to upgrade my protection. Yes, I will be crazy enough to do jumps and spins on the concrete. Can you say broken bones. Come on, say it like you mean it... There you go.

Hey! Don't laugh! It's sick to laugh at an old man doing doubles outside and breaking his old bones...

So I think I will go back to the idea of upgrading my super deluxe plates and maybe going with a cheap but strong high top (since I want to jump again). Maybe a 220 retro would be a good boot although t is still about $275, or go with a 120 which is about $140. The 120 boot won't hold up long, maybe a year but may be good enough to get my strength and balance back before going to a better boot.

The remaining Rink wants $9 for a few hours and almost no practice time. Practice in session is very difficult at best. So the skate park (unlimited time and no fee) seems to be a reasonable choice for me. Also for strength training, I have the streets in my community which are black top and have some ridiculous hills in a few spots. Sounds like fun (ROAD RASH!). GEE! My wife will be over joyed with me... Oh Well, I was looking for a wife when I found her... ONLY KIDDING!
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #40
emtdpf

Afternoon Jim!

Glad to see that you aregetting serious about coming back in the pool! lol

Couple of things.

297, if you dont want them as tall, just take them to an olde shoe maker and they can cut off the top inch or so..(I had this done to my dance skates)

Outside wheels, not sure if the are still around, but Circle K seemed to be a narrower wheel than the Kryptos... I had both and skated both outside with my speed skates.......(years ago).. but I would say that anything with a very soft durometer should work, maybe even a softer rollerbones? But as Larry mentioned, you better be ready for the jumps, as those softer wheels are not going to be forgiving.

Outside boot.....instead of beating up your new 297, why not go out and get a pair of older hockey boots your size, take the blade off and mount your plate on it...., you can make those boots as tight or as loose as you need, just by lacing them....... again, years ago, I had a pair that I used for everything other than dance / speed. You might be able to go to a hockey shop and see if there are any used there?

Plates...... your choice, what ever makes you happy, but, it sounds like it needs to be a beefier plate.

Maybe Doc has some ideas on outside packages?

My $.02
Don
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote