S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:39 AM   #61
The Cranky Skater

Default Some Rink Owners Just Don't Get It

I'm 44, and returned to skating 6 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. I purchased a pair of skates that are currently worth more than my car, literally, and I bought them from a rink, rather than online, because I wanted to support the place.

In the past 6 years, I've been booted out of 4 rinks for doing jumps, spins, etc. I don't cut people off, and I only perform tricks when it's not busy. I even draw comments from kids, "are you an ice skater?" Nope, I only skate on quads (Snyder Advantage). I do all I can to promote the sport.

So why do rink owners turn their back on customers like me who willingly open our wallets to support them? I have no clue. In Colorado, I brought in radio disc jockeys who not only purchased high end skates, but talked about it on the radio. The rink owner never once said thanks, or even bothered to come out from behind the counter to introduce himself to me, even though I had been a regular for about a year.

I believe if more rinks chased after adult skaters, they'd boost revenues. Moms would bring their kids because it would be an enjoyable experience for mom and the kids. Right now, moms aren't hip to hip hop and they're staying away. And sadly, rinks are closely all over the place. I hope they wake up soon before the baby boomers get too old to return the rink.

Enough said.
The Cranky Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #62
vthump

Hi all, this is actually my first post. I read this thread from beginning to end and found it very interesting. Myself, I'm 38 and just started skating again since I was about 12. Man I forgot how much I loved it!! I especially like to try to rollerdance.
Well I must say that it's funny because I hate that chacha slide song but, at they little rink I skate at, they stop all skate and tell everyone to go to the middle when it comes on.
vthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #63
SkateSkateSkate

vthump-

I'm with ya on the cha cha slide *lol*. That song gets on my last nerve especially when I used to hear it like 4 times a weekend at the rink
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #64
RogueAPBT

Yea, that song's been done to death at our rink, too.

As to the original question, I have not had that experience or even heard of anybody getting kicked out for dancing in the middle. They kick kids out of the middle for standing around talking, but that's it. Too bad for that rink, and I'm glad you found a place to skate. I think I'd have done the same thing, and just moved on to another rink.

I'm completely jealous, because last few weeks, at the rink I go to, it's usually just me in the middle with nobody to dance with. Got to wait for some new victims to come rolling into the middle, wanting to learn, I guess. This is pretty sad, since I'm not that good myself yet, but I keep trying. I'd be in heaven if we had that many dance skaters in the middle! If it goes on like this, I think I'll start checking out other rinks, to see if I can find any other dancers.

Cheryl
RogueAPBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #65
rachelannfournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueAPBT View Post
Yea, that song's been done to death at our rink, too.

As to the original question, I have not had that experience or even heard of anybody getting kicked out for dancing in the middle. They kick kids out of the middle for standing around talking, but that's it. Too bad for that rink, and I'm glad you found a place to skate. I think I'd have done the same thing, and just moved on to another rink.

I'm completely jealous, because last few weeks, at the rink I go to, it's usually just me in the middle with nobody to dance with. Got to wait for some new victims to come rolling into the middle, wanting to learn, I guess. This is pretty sad, since I'm not that good myself yet, but I keep trying. I'd be in heaven if we had that many dance skaters in the middle! If it goes on like this, I think I'll start checking out other rinks, to see if I can find any other dancers.

Cheryl
Where do you live/skate?
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #66
RogueAPBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelannfournier View Post
Where do you live/skate?
Tacoma, Wa
RogueAPBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #67
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Talking good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ha!
Well I started skating for the chicks One little redhead in particular, suggested a group of us go skating at CalSkate about 16 years ago. Being a bit younger, but just a foolish as I am now, I followed. The rest is history. In the end, I'm just an older guy like you and just skate for fun.

I have lot's of great memories of CalSkate, and like many of the skaters there that have been skating there for decades, we feel like it's our rink. There's a lot of emotion about this issue with the skaters that have been skating there for years, and this issue has become kind of a love - hate thing. Skaters just want to skate and have fun and not worry about being hassled. For now many are skating at the rink in San Jose because they can skate there and not worry.

The Sunday nights were getting a bit crowded and maybe they are trying to make it less crowded. While the management might be worried about loosing skaters, I get the feeling they don't mind if they loose them to another rink. They have always been supportive of skating in general.

I hope this helped you get a better feel for what's going on.

Bill
ya..ya..ya don't leave us hanging....get to the good stuff!
What happened with the little readhead?
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #68
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Let me play devils advocate for just a minute..

I don't know the layout of the rink in question, but where I go (and have gone for 25-30 years) does not allow anything in the center of the rink except for limbo once per session. I had often wondered why this was and finally when I worked there (in my younger years) I found out why. If there is a crowd in the center of the rink, it makes it impossible for the DJ & management to observe the opposite side of the skating surface. If someone were to fall & get hurt, they would not be able to see them. It would also make it difficult to get to someone "in a timely manner".

I don't know that I agree with banning it all together, but I respect the rules and the reasoning behind it
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #69
brikkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnews View Post
Some of the Nazi-Like Rules of Cal Skate:

FLOOR RULES:
Cal Skate will penalize any patron that does not practice safe skating while in our facility.

No pushing, tripping or playing tag.
No fast skating. Fast skating is defined as anyone skating faster than the average flow of traffic and in a manner hazardous to other skaters.
No squatting except during a designated special skate.
No stopping along the wall. All skaters must attempt to keep moving at all times.
No eating or drinking over the half wall surrounding the skating surface or on the skating floor.
No sitting on or climbing over the half wall surrounding the skating floor.
Jumps, spins or dancing are to be kept to the center of the floor and are permitted only during uncrowded sessions and at the discretion of the Manager or Session Supervisor on duty.

http://www.calskatemilpitas.com/rules.html
you forgot this one
NO BLUE JEAN
i never realy did understand that one my self
tag was fun
brikkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #70
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
you forgot this one
NO BLUE JEAN
i never realy did understand that one my self
tag was fun
The brass rivets on the jeans can damage the floor if you fall. They are fanatical about their floor... and pretty much the rest of the rink. That's one of the reasons it has the best floor in the area, and is such a nice rink.

I haven't skated a Sunday Night there since this went down, mainly because I have to be at work early and the session ends at 11pm. Last I heard it was now a very quiet session. I do skate there Wednesday nights which starts earlier and cost less so I don't mind as much skipping out early.
b.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #71
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeDave View Post
ya..ya..ya don't leave us hanging....get to the good stuff!
What happened with the little readhead?
mmm... good question!
b.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #72
rwsz

Quote:
mmm... good question!
b.

lol another sub forum,,,,i dont think i like the sub forums so far,,,,i dont like change lol
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #73
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Rick, we can merge the subforums back into the main forum anytime. Let's try them for a little while and then make a decision to leave them or merge them back were they were. One thing nice about the subforums is that the posts about a particular topic are less buried. Already today I've noticed new activity in some of the previously buried threads. But like I said, we can dump the subforums any time, if that's what you guys prefer.

- kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 16th, 2007 at 06:51 AM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #74
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Rick, we can merge the subforums back into the main forum anytime. Let's try them for a little while and then made a decision to leave them or merge them back were they were. One thing nice about the subforums is that the posts about a particular topic are less buried. Already today I've noticed new activity in some of the previously buried threads. But like I said, we can dump the subforums any time, if that's what you guys prefer.

- kathie
Don't worry about Rick, he'll get over it

Rick, remember change is good :P
b.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #75
rwsz

Quote:
Don't worry about Rick, he'll get over it

Rick, remember change is good :P
b.

DAMN IT BILL,,,,,,XXIIOEIOUJRJNOSOFDLD,,,,,,LOOK OUT BEFORE I BECOME A LOOSE CANON AGAIN ,,,,,,,,,LMAO

I AM TOO DAMN OLD,,,CHANGE SUCKS LOL