S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old September 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #21
passthefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi passthefire,

Great for you, for your new Floor Guard journey. I do hope that you have a decent DJ (who can really make your job easier and safer), and a Manager who backs you up. You can have many enjoyable hours skating and working with patrons.

Yep !!

Harold
I survived my first weekend. Back to school all you can eat pizza night, Friday, 4 birthday parties Saturday afternoon and 3 birthday parties Sunday afternoon. I just wished the other floor guard they hired could skate good(had not skated in 8 years). I had to deal with attitudes from adults to a little girl who got all upset because she did not win at limbo. Then I had a little boy around 9 who would just sit on the floor any time he fell. There was one little girl who looked around 4 that had stopped along the wall, I told needed to keep moving, she said I do not know how to roll. There was this one girl around 10 that kept falling a lot, I found out her mom put her rental skates on the wrong foot. I was wiped out by the end of the sessions, but enjoyed it all.
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #22
Rinkrat63
Level IV SEDS

Default Floor Guards - What should they be Doing ??

Thanks for the great write up! I have lifted your rules and will be incorporating them into our floor guard description/rules. You pretty much nailed my philosophy on running a safe and fun floor during any session.

-Jim
Rinkrat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #23
Skatervideoguy

Hi Rinkrat63,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Check my other posts on Rink Sound Systems, Session Games & Specials, Rink Rules, Rink Lighting, & General Skate Sessions Programing.

You just may find some useful stuff there too.

Harold
Old May 18th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #24
passthefire

Default and the journey continues

It has been about 9 month since I have became a floor guard. I sum it all up by this from "The catcher in the rye"

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."
~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 22, spoken by the character Holden Caulfield.

But instead of them run the wrong way they are skating the wrong way. No cliff but I am helping kids up from the floor.
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #25
Skatervideoguy

Hi passthefire,

Glad to see you're still with it !!

I've only known a few folks that stayed with Floor Guarding for any length of time. Most folks just don't seem to handle it very well, and many get little support from Management or the DJ's - at least from what I've observed over the last 50+ years.

I do hope you can continue, as most Rinks really need Good Floor Guards. And too few seem to have them.

Harold
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #26
Skatervideoguy

Hi All,

Just an interesting UpDate, at least one local Rink actually has the "Floor Guard" not only doing the "Sound", but also doing the Skate hand outs at the Skate Booth - all the way at the other corner of the Skate Floor.

Easy to see why none of those 3 jobs get done properly.

Harold

Forgot to add, The "Floor Guard" only does the "Skates Hand Outs" JOB well - but slow if "doing something as a Floor Guard or as a Sound Person".

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; August 19th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #27
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

I wish the guards will stay off those damn phones and do there jobs I'm starting to see this more and more at most of the rinks in my area.
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #28
Skatervideoguy

Hi Holiday Guy,

Yea, those Phones should be used for Emergencies Only !!

Kind of like "Driving & Texting or Talking on them" Can't do either properly, or safely, if trying to both.

Harold
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM   #29
Gypsyjuggler

Quote:
Hi Holiday Guy,

Yea, those Phones should be used for Emergencies Only !!

Kind of like "Driving & Texting or Talking on them" Can't do either properly, or safely, if trying to both.

Harold
The rink that I work at, all employers are not allowed to use thier cells phones during the session, not just the floor guards. Heck, I put my phone in my locker because I don't want to smash it if end up falling on the rink.

Gypsyjuggler
Gypsyjuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM   #30
Skatervideoguy

Hi Gypsyjuggler,

Quote:
The rink that I work at, all employers are not allowed to use thier cells phones during the session, not just the floor guards.
I certainly agree with this notion (if they find employees are not responsible enough to figure it out on their own - or after being told)

Quote:
Heck, I put my phone in my locker because I don't want to smash it if end up falling on the rink.
If you have a larger phone, or tend to carry one in a vulnerable place (like on your side) then leave it in a safer place. Mine is small and fits well in my front pocket. I would encourage staff that can carry safely, to do so - with the Rule that they are only to be used in Emergencies.

With the larger Rinks, more patrons, harder floors, Too Loud of Sound Systems and Too Low of Lighting being used, and some Rinks having a lack of good Floor Structuring - in my observations and experience, it's better for Staff communications, and the possible need to call for Police and/or Medical assistance, to have more than one staff person having phone access.

Harold
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #31
ZenSteve

Quote:
some Rinks having a lack of good Floor Structuring
What does this mean, for a lay-person skater such as myself?
ZenSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #32
Skatervideoguy

Hi ZenSteve,

In addition to the Floor Guard issue, from my first Post in this Thread:

Some other Rink Operations Suggestions - based on my Study & Experience:
See the bottom of the 1st Post, with references to these threads -

Rink Sound Systems
Skate Sessions
Games & Specials
Rink Rules
DJ's

Those are a part of what I'm referring too by "Good Floor Structuring". This is rather different than simply opening the Rink Doors, Turning on the Lights & Music, and letting the Patrons simply Skate round and round for 2 to 4 hrs - going every-which way, doing what-ever.

There are also other issues with regard to Floor Markings, Rink Decor, Lighting Usage, etc., that are addressed in Posts by many others too.

Hope that helps.

Harold

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; December 20th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #33
princessfluffhead

This is all good stuff. Surprisingly, the rink I skate at the most has floor guards that are not on skates. It doesn't work well. When I inquired as to why they are not on skates I was told that a guard broke his wrist at one of their two rinks and there was a huge Workers Compensation claim so now they will not let them skate. It poses an unsafe situation for the skaters when the guard is not skating. They cannot perceive the dangers that the skaters are seeing unless they are skating in my opinion. When kids are going in the wrong direction or misbehaving the guard cannot get close enough to them quickly in order to correct them. Also, they are bored stiff and just don't watch that well.
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #34
Skatervideoguy

Hi princessfluffhead,

Quote:
Surprisingly, the rink I skate at the most has floor guards that are not on skates.
Simply Amazing !!!! In all my years of Skating, and all the Rinks I've Skated in, I've never seen or heard of that.

"Floor Guards that are not Skating" has got to be one of the craziest and non-sensical ideas ever - in a Skating Rink !!!

Perhaps I'm just not experienced enough, and maybe over the next 20yrs of Skating I'll be able to grasp that notion, although I'll be 86 by then - and maybe I won't give a Damn ??

Harold

PS: I believe the Laws in some States require Floor Guards to be on the Skate Floor, and the Rink may have greater Liability for Patrons safety, by not having proper Skating Floor Guards.
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #35
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Amazing Tales f/The Dark Side

Hi princess,

I will have to ask one guy, and maybe a few more who winter in Florida about what you wrote. They skate close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfluffhead View Post
o- o It poses an unsafe situation for the skaters when the guard is not skating. They cannot perceive the dangers that the skaters are seeing unless they are skating in my opinion o -o
Well you summed up a lot that goes wrong and will cause huge legal liabilities if a customer decides to sue. USA 'Standards of Practice' is what the lawyer will argue, and it will be a slam dunk.

Skate Guards, particularly young ones, do a lot on a floor and they mostly do not need words to change the course of skaters younger than them.

How, How Interesting.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #36
princessfluffhead

The rinks I refer to are Galaxy North Lauderdale and Galaxy in Davie for your Florida skater friends. Although oddly enough at the North Lauderdale rink they allow people to skate and push children in strollers on occasion. I thought surely the management had just not noticed this, so I stupidly asked if this was considered safe. I was rudely told that the parents had paid for 7 people to enter the rink and spent a lot of money and if they wanted to push the stroller on the skate floor it was perfectly okay. One of those moments where you have to say, hmmmm. You have nonskating floor guards due to a lawsuit. Is this stroller thing not a lawsuit waiting to happen if the kid falls out or gets crashed into? Not to mention the obvious, but what kind of parent would want to put their infant or toddler in harms way in the first place.

I suppose nothing should surprise me anymore. We had a girl being pushed in a wheelchair this week, but at least she was older and presumably wouldn't be so easily damaged in an accident. We also just skated three weeks in a row with a guy vacationing that was completely blind. Damn good skater too. We took turns leading him around for shuffle songs so he could get out of the middle.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:00 AM   #37
Skatervideoguy

Hi princessfluffhead,

Quote:
Is this stroller thing not a lawsuit waiting to happen if the kid falls out or gets crashed into?
Perhaps, both the Rink and the Parent pushing the Stroller might get Sued for negligence.

Quote:
Not to mention the obvious, but what kind of parent would want to put their infant or toddler in harms way in the first place.
My experience suggests that many folks are simply ignorant of the Risks and/or just don't think things through as carefully as they could. The Strollers on the Skate Floor, is not unlike the folks carrying small children while on Skates, or Rinks running their Sound systems loud enough to damage patrons' hearing, or running the lights so low as to make it difficult for folks to easily see each another – some of the Dumb stuff being done in Skating Rinks – and has been forever.

Quote:
We had a girl being pushed in a wheelchair this week,
The Wheelchair thing comes under a whole different set of Laws - that sometimes seems of questionable Safety - at least if you've seen someone crash into one on a Skate Floor.

Harold
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:33 AM   #38
cass38a

My daughter cruises around the rink in her power chair, sometimes she is used as a power source for somebody who would prefer to be towed than skate.

Before she had a power chair I would push her around in her manual chair, until some of my friends would take turns so I could skate.

She has even played bull rush in the past and still has a crack at limbo.

When she was little she wore rental skates on her feet because she was roller skating.

The rink let her in for free, even though I offer to pay every time, so they have no problems but I did ask them before I took her along the first time.

I don't see what the fuss over a wheel chair would be as long as they stick to the rules and follow the normal skating line and rules. She is a teenager now and not so keen as she was a year ago, hopefully she won't give it up.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM   #39
Skatervideoguy

Hi cass38a,

I applaud you for both encouraging and allowing your daughter to do the "Skating" thing, and your Rink for allowing her to get on the Skate Floor.

I've met a number of parents and Rinks that would not consider such a thing.

The problems I've seen with Wheelchairs on the Skate Floor - come with unruly folks Skating Crazy, the Rink not controlling the Floor properly, and sometimes the child in the Wheelchair not knowing or following good Skating Etiquette (as in wandering all over the Skate Floor with no regard for the Skaters).

Some Skating "Purists" may see anything other than "Skates" on the Floor, as being "sacrilegious", while others will wounder - why then can't I be out there on my Skate Board, or Push Scooter - if they allow a Wheelchair or Stroller ??

It can, and is, done safely when folks follow the rules, pay attention to each other, and enjoy the differences we all bring to the Rink. Just don't collide with them, I've never seen that end well.

Harold
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #40
princessfluffhead

Hee Hee. It was actually my best friend and I that encouraged the wheelchair parents to take her on the floor. I had seen strollers there in the past and figured this shouldn't be any more of an issue than that was. The way her face lit up when her parents took her out there was worth it. Then again, this was not a baby in a stroller either. She was probably 10 or so and seemingly not as fragile