S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 4th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #21
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default safety gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
If they're so important, then why aren't you wearing them every time you go skating?

It's about risk isn't it? It's not that I think a helmet wouldn't help if a car hit me or I messed up and fell in a particularly bad fashion, but just that the likelihood of such things happening is low enough that I'm okay with the risk....
Back-in-time....hmmmmm...
I would have talked one bud into a helmet and another into wrist guards.
I was ok with the no safety gear as well and luckily never needed either, even in the skateboard bowls.

I would have however brought a camera everywhere and taken thousand more pics. I also would have stopped smokin...ya right!

"If the good Lord wanted us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates." ~Willie Wonka 1971

60 secs of Quad Vert Fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYJgY2PJ_vk
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #22
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
If they're so important, then why aren't you wearing them every time you go skating?
I should, but I don't. I almost never wear them skating, though I do when I ride a bike, or snowboard... Almost religiously.

Id guess I refrain from wearing them since I learned how to fall long ago, and I'm pretty cautious about anything that can potentially cause me to fall. I'm also as sure footed on my skates as I am on shoes, and I dont wear helmets walking or running.

Slalom skating through cones to me isnt that fun, give me a CRAZY rink night with 200 people on a smaller floor. My cones move and change directions in an instant, i bet your cones could care less if you happen to hit one just sayin.
Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Shaw

Any beginner slalomer can skate through a crowded rink just fine, but I've yet to see someone on inlines at a rink that can pull off even half of the things a good slalomer can, even without the cones. I can go forwards or backwards on one wheel, I can transition continuously between going forwards and backwards on one foot without jumping, I can spin on one foot going forwards or backwards, and those are just some of the easier to describe tricks. I'm not even particularly good at slalom, but well, how many of those can do you?

Learning tricks is actually the easy part as well. You aren't really slaloming until you're good enough to chain them together. There's a reason all slalom competitions have music. You're not just dodging the cones, you're supposed to be dancing through them.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #24
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I don't think you have experienced a good rink session or had to keep up with anyone that really knew how to skate. Your overall opinion seems to be that anyone who skates in a rink isnt as good as a slalom skater.

The answer to your question: All.

Not sure you live anywhere close but theres a skate event called EWNB(eight wheels no brakes) once a year, with an adult skate the night before as a warm up. Lot of people there who only skate in rinks and im sure a session like that would change your view of rink skating.

BACK ON TOPIC
Thats another thing I woukd tell myself to do as a starting skater. Travel to different rinks and meet loads of skaters, hopefully friends, and lots of new skills I wouldnt have come up with on my own.
Old January 5th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #25
Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I don't think you have experienced a good rink session or had to keep up with anyone that really knew how to skate. Your overall opinion seems to be that anyone who skates in a rink isnt as good as a slalom skater.

The answer to your question: All.
Pretty much, yeah. There's nothing wrong with skating at a rink, but in terms of technical difficulty, there's really no comparison. I'm going to have to ask for a video of you doing those things though, because quite frankly, I don't believe you.
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #26
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default Technical difficulty?

Quote:
Pretty much, yeah. There's nothing wrong with skating at a rink, but in terms of technical difficulty, there's really no comparison. I'm going to have to ask for a video of you doing those things though, because quite frankly, I don't believe you.
Technical difficulty?
You're wearing blinders if you think weaving through cones is as good as it gets.
Want a technically difficult video, watch the one in my sig below.
I've witnessed skaters, in a rink, pull off some absolutely amazing stuff that I could never quite duplicate.

I prefer rink skating as it's a social gathering to meet new people and hang with old friends. Yes, rink skating itself isn't usually challenging but even Formula1 Racers drive on regular streets from time to time.

Old January 5th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #27
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Honestly man I don't care what you believe. I think your not only ignorant, but arrogant.
Come to the warm up @ roller jam, come to the annual EWNB. I personally guarantee you'll get in over your head, IF you can even get on the floor without getting run over.

You and your solo skating with nothing to worry about but your lifeless cones is nothing but flashy footwork. Where it really counts is in an intense CONSTANTLY changing and dynamic environment. Your used to the cones being exactly where you want them, thats childs play. As if you have to compete for footing in a confined space at real speeds while doing cones.

A rink can be as easy or a hard as you want it to be.
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:23 AM   #28
Shaw

@CrazeeDave
I'm talking inlines, not quads, I can't really comment on jam skating, artistic skating, derby, etc. For inlines however, aggressive skaters, speed skaters, freeriders, downhill skaters, etc. all have their own skills that I respect and cannot match, but being "good" at rink skating doesn't even come close to being as difficult as being good at any of those. I also skate mostly as a social thing, I'm not in the US at the moment, and outside of the US slalom's a pretty good way to meet new people.

@Mort
You can make a video for straight crossovers, but suddenly you can't make a video demonstrating a few simple tricks without cones? You call me arrogant, but really, I don't think I'm a particularly talented skater. I've met tons of people who make me look like an absolute beginner, regardless of discipline. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm better than some guy who thinks that skating in a rink is the pinnacle of inline skill.
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #29
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:

@Mort
You can make a video for straight crossovers, but suddenly you can't make a video demonstrating a few simple tricks without cones? You call me arrogant, but really, I don't think I'm a particularly talented skater. I've met tons of people who make me look like an absolute beginner, regardless of discipline. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm better than some guy who thinks that skating in a rink is the pinnacle of inline skill.
Evidently your still caught up with having this "im better than him" status all cause I skate in a rink. You seem to assume thats the only place I skate, or have ever skated. If your thoughts on yourself are that your not so talented, why ya making such a fuss?

There are a few people on this forum who have seen me skate. Just go make a "mort sucks @ skating, hes rink garbage" thread. Let them tell you what they think. I'm sick of talking about your opinions on me. I know I'm good, and I also know I'm not the best at everything I do. I didn't make a video for anyone else on here and I'm not about to make one to prove or disprove your opinions of me. The only reason I made the offer to make a video of crossovers like that was to help a fellow skater, not boast my skillset.

You know us rink skaters tho, all we do is keep our feet side by side for no fore/aft stability, we dont need that nonsense! We also skate slow and duck footed, since thats all we need to propel ourselves. Etcetera.... lets just end it as this, I suck, I'm a complete fake, a sham, a skating nobody. Now you can sleep satisfied. You win, now can it.

Which brings me to another thing I'd tell the 6 year old version of myself (- dont let those other naysayers get you down, just skate hard and do your best, the only person who can make you feel bad is yourself.
Old January 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #30
Shaw

I'm making a fuss because you often give bad advice on the assumption that you're good. 273mm frames with 76mm wheels might work for you because you can make "amazing cuts" with them, when in reality the vast majority of people who are good at urban skating use frames that are 255mm and under, and never with wheels smaller than necessary.

Regardless, I'm done with this as well. I think you're misguided because you've never met anybody who is actually good on inlines that isn't a speed or aggressive skater(and even then I'm skeptical if you still think you can keep up with a competitive speed skater on 80mm wheels), and you think I'm ignorant because I've never been to a "real" rink, let's just leave it at that. Maybe in the future if time and resources allow for it I can visit one of those events and see if they're really as difficult as you make them out to be.
Old January 6th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #31
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I'm making a fuss because you often give bad advice on the assumption that you're good.
Make the thread then kid.

Nah man I suck. Just dont worry about it. I must give bad advice because its something you dont know about, its cool I get it. I don't know jack. I've never met a good skater in my life, and I wouldn't know one if I saw one since I am also no good. Let me crawl back to my rink now.

BTW I raced on size 12 rollerbade E pro skates using 76 mm 82a wheels... labeda bad boys to be precise, fell down the first straight in a 7 lap race and I still caught and passed 2 skaters both of which were on 110's. Take it how you want, but you probably think I was racing children.

Unsubscribed.
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #32
Shaw

You should know by now that having big wheels doesn't automatically make you a good skater. I've competed against slalom skaters who were still learning beginner tricks despite wearing top-of-the-line $700 carbon fiber skates as well, doesn't mean a thing if I beat them. Let me know when you're competing at a national level.

Anyhow, here are a few examples of good skaters:
FSK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jc_72nobxM
Slalom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dienq-D4g4
Slides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB0GEHwSSs4

That's something I would've liked to learn about sooner. I got complacent and stopped feeling challenged after skating at a rink for a few years, without realizing just how much room there was for improvement. Honestly, I find it laughable that an inline skater who can't even pull off a basic parallel slide can watch any of those videos and still consider themselves to be great skater. Those people don't just exist on the internet, I've seen or met most if not all of them in person. Somehow, I don't think the skaters at EWNB will compare, but hey, I could be wrong.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #33
slowsk8

Quote:
Pretty much, yeah. There's nothing wrong with skating at a rink, but in terms of technical difficulty, there's really no comparison.
I don't see why what's done outdoors can't be done indoors.
And when it comes to speed skating the technical difficulty is much higher indoors.
Outdoors good fitness and decent form can take you far. Not to the top but I have seen some with great form get beaten by some with fair form and much better fitness level.
Used to have a guy skate outdoors with us that had fairly bad form but was very strong, if he got behind us in the draft he was very hard to drop. Had to force him to the front then rabbit past him and get a gap or he would follow you to the end and use his strong legs to pass.
Indoors you need to be strong, have good to better form, know when and how to pass inside or outside while being bumped around, kicked etc.
And that's just to be able to finish the race. Even more if you hope to win it.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #34
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Take it how you want, but you probably think I was racing children.

Unsubscribed.
Naw, you would never have caught up with the kids.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #35
Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
I don't see why what's done outdoors can't be done indoors.
And when it comes to speed skating the technical difficulty is much higher indoors.
Outdoors good fitness and decent form can take you far. Not to the top but I have seen some with great form get beaten by some with fair form and much better fitness level.
Used to have a guy skate outdoors with us that had fairly bad form but was very strong, if he got behind us in the draft he was very hard to drop. Had to force him to the front then rabbit past him and get a gap or he would follow you to the end and use his strong legs to pass.
Indoors you need to be strong, have good to better form, know when and how to pass inside or outside while being bumped around, kicked etc.
And that's just to be able to finish the race. Even more if you hope to win it.
You're right, I should have said session skating instead of rink skating. While I'm not personally interested in speed skating, I respect how much time, training, discipline, and skill goes into becoming someone who can skate at the highest levels. Even for the three types that I mentioned, there's nothing stopping people from practicing them at a rink (fsk aside), and in fact many competitions take place indoors. I don't have anything against session skating either, I still go once in a while when I'm back in the US. It's good fun, but I still think it's ridiculous to compare someone who's only good at session skating to people like Greg Mirzoyan or KSJ.
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #36
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Wear Protective Gear (Appropriate to Skate Type/Skill)

Hi Starting Poster (DeathPanda) from the UK,

Well we see a lot of Noise from Shaw, CrazzeeDave, on I'm Invincible, I'm Macho. Watch me defy the percentages till I DON't. I had a harsher note I may still post.

Play the percentages with you being at 100%

You are not a young kid starting skating like I was and maybe them, so wear protective gear according to the type of skating and your skill level.

Don't listen to Macho Man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWrlAmT4jyA Hey you got to read the fate of WWF/WWE wrestlers who thought they were Macho. Lots of deaths by some greats.

If Derby and just mucking around: Wrist Guards, KneePads, Elbow Pads if a weak learning skater.

Remove stuff the better you are, like maybe the elbow pads first. You are still going get some grinds on the elbows yet the wrist guards will save you from serious stuff.

If Derby and really weak: Put on a Helmet and maybe some Hiney Crash Pads. Not all are that weak, yet I know several who are horrid at the get go. And it depends on your floor care.

If you are outdoors wear a Helmet. OK I don't do it, and did not do it, yet bought one for biking and outdoor skating. It is just DUMB and Macho without a brain to go into battle without the right equipment.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Do I have caveats, yes. Do I know great skaters without protection yes.
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #37
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Other Great Skate Places/Skate with Greats

Hi Again UK-Death Panda,

Well Mort wrote in a note above to Shaw to GO OUT See the World. In the UK you don't really have as many places as we do in the States, and even with that tunnel you just can't skate with greats like I have available to me in the USA. They come from 40 minutes to 2 hours to skate at Skateland.

Yet his point to Shaw is correct, and Holly (HK47) has written about a great skate get together in the UK that will hopefully be once a year. Don't remember the timing, yet I would go to it even if you are still a weak skater.

Go to as many skate places as you can, including Derby practices, on the best nights and check them out. Look for special get togethers.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #38
Shaw

It's not about being macho, and it's not about skill level either. Everybody makes mistakes, and the mistakes of an advanced skater are more likely to have greater consequences. CrazeeDave for instance, could easily have ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life if he screwed up one of those flips. It's his life though, I'm sure he knows the risks, and I'm sure he knows his own limits, so I'm not about to judge him for doing something I'd personally consider dangerous.

I don't dispute that a helmet or other protective gear makes you safer, but I'd be a hypocrite if I said that everybody should wear protective gear but then found reasons not to do so myself. I just don't think the skating I do is dangerous enough to really necessitate safety gear, so I personally don't wear it. Someone else might come to a different conclusion despite doing the same sort of skating, and that's perfectly fine as well.

Put another way, do you think figure skaters should wear protective gear? I'm pretty sure those triple axles are more dangerous than anything I attempt while skating outdoors.

P.S. Mort's point about going out to see the world is good, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to me. Aside from the US, I've skated in France, Spain, China, Taiwan, and Singapore. I've been to several international competitions with skaters flying in from all over the world, and participated in street skates involving hundreds of people. If you ever have the opportunity, the May 1st roller festival in Beidaihe, China is pretty incredible, and street skating in Europe is also a very fun experience.
Old January 8th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #39
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Talking

Advice I'd give myself as a novice skater - put down the oatmeal cream pies!
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #40
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
Advice I'd give myself as a novice skater - put down the oatmeal cream pies!
OK, I'm off the diet, where do I find the good ones swolltitan?

@Shaw
Back in the day, early 80's, there was no safety gear for boarders or skaters....just the way it was and not a macho statement at all.
Personally I think anyone attempting any extreme skating now, without at least a helmet, has ***** for brains.
Gear is so cheap and available everywhere.
I now own a helmet and use it.