S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 9th, 2018, 03:18 PM   #1
zebra1922

Default Slipping wheels

Hi all

Iím looking for some wheel advice. Iíve got some Ventro Pro quad skates and with both the original wheels and a pair from my daughters SFR skates, the wheels slip at my local rink so I cannot get any speed up or turn reliably.

Is this likely to be the hardness/grip of the wheels that would be solved by buying some wheels more suitable for indoor use (wooden floor)?

If so, any advice on a suitable, cheap set of wheels?

Thanks
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2018, 08:31 PM   #2
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Rink Wheels

If your rink sells wheels, most likely they will be the ones most suited for use there.
Old September 10th, 2018, 12:04 AM   #3
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Yeah dont always believe that.

Most rinks couldn't give a stuff about wheels...or good wheels.
It's how much they can make on you.
For those rinks that do care Goodonya.

Ask the local good skaters what they are on those about the same weight as you....
Old September 10th, 2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
Is this likely to be the hardness/grip of the wheels that would be solved by buying some wheels more suitable for indoor use (wooden floor)?
Yes and yes. You probably need slightly softer wheels if slip is your main issue.

Ask a couple of the regulars there, who are about your size / weight, what hardness they are using. Browse the online skate shop sites for wheels in that hardness to get an idea of the price range.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #5
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
Yes and yes. You probably need slightly softer wheels if slip is your main issue.

Ask a couple of the regulars there, who are about your size / weight, what hardness they are using. Browse the online skate shop sites for wheels in that hardness to get an idea of the price range.
has a lot to do with the humidity and surface of the rink. softer wheels will help, see what others are using
Old September 10th, 2018, 04:47 PM   #6
Derrick

donít be an extremist like I tend to be. Get softer wheels but not too much softer. youíll find other problems with those.
Old September 10th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #7
DarrenVS

Quote:
Hi all

Iím looking for some wheel advice. Iíve got some Ventro Pro quad skates and with both the original wheels and a pair from my daughters SFR skates, the wheels slip at my local rink so I cannot get any speed up or turn reliably.

If so, any advice on a suitable, cheap set of wheels?

Thanks
Hi there, are you in the UK by any chance?
If you are, Airwave make a good multi use wheel, they retail at around £35 a set of 8 . Great for indoors and out
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 04:03 AM   #8
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenVS View Post
Hi there, are you in the UK by any chance?
If you are, Airwave make a good multi use wheel, they retail at around £35 a set of 8 . Great for indoors and out
Yup I'm in the UK.

I saw some advice about softening the truck bolt to allow some suspension/boot roll and maintain wheel contact. This helped but still slipping so pooling around at 5-8mph instead of 10-15 mph.

I like the look of the Airwaves so I'll give them a go, thanks.
Old September 11th, 2018, 05:36 PM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Is anyone else able to outrun you there?

If so what are they using?

Sometimes rinks just SUCK. Theyy typically have carpet, and cannot clean their lobby often. Which leads to buildup of crud.

Mopping up is a must, and carpeted rinks prevent that. Over a long enough period of time, the floor will get saturated with dirt, debris, oils, etc. Which may be why your grip sucks.

Inlines will grip far better than quads do in conditions like this.
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #10
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Is anyone else able to outrun you there?

If so what are they using?

Sometimes rinks just SUCK. Theyy typically have carpet, and cannot clean their lobby often. Which leads to buildup of crud.

Mopping up is a must, and carpeted rinks prevent that. Over a long enough period of time, the floor will get saturated with dirt, debris, oils, etc. Which may be why your grip sucks.

Inlines will grip far better than quads do in conditions like this.
Everyone can outrun me! And I don't have a problem when I use the rentals from the rink, so I don't think there is any issue with the surface (it appears very well maintained). Something to do with my skates, wheels, trucks.....

My local skate shop has suggested some Atoms so I'll give them a go.
Old September 12th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #11
Derrick

Quote:
Everyone can outrun me! And I don't have a problem when I use the rentals from the rink, so I don't think there is any issue with the surface (it appears very well maintained). Something to do with my skates, wheels, trucks.....

Well youíll certainly not slide in those. They are really soft. I used to use them outside.
Old September 12th, 2018, 12:38 PM   #12
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Which Atom wheels? They make a few different wheels.

Try before you buy if possible!
Old September 13th, 2018, 04:58 AM   #13
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Best advice I've heard so far.
Only atom wheels I like are fusions.
Stick to all local floors around me.But a bit sluggish compared to my scott wheels.
Plastic hubs generally are..
Old September 13th, 2018, 10:38 AM   #14
Derrick

Mine are Atom pulse. I used them in the rink long ago but found them too soft for the rink. They held the floor, even slippery old Eastlake on a cold day.
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:55 PM   #15
DarrenVS

Quote:

Donít trust anything the rink recommended, unless that person actually skates at the rink. Wheel grip is so much a personal choice. See if you can get one of the regular skaters to lend you some different wheels to try. When I was skating 3-4 times a week, I would often take a selection of wheels for various folks to try out. They could then make up their own mind as what suited best.
Also a lot of sports centres that are used for skating do suffer from condensation problems if the weather conditions are wrong. The place I skated regularly at had issues with the walls and corners of the floor being really wet if it was cold outside and really busy with skaters. So it might be worth trying your existing wheels on a different day. Also maybe skate outside for a while to roughen the surface of the wheels slightly. A lot of wheels are pretty slick the first few times you use them. And never skate new skates out of the box. The odd pair Iíve had as new skates required me to strip everything apart and reassemble the skates to make them usable. Always take a skate tool that fits your wheels and kingpin nuts so you can make adjustments as you go .
One of the best wheels I used when a roller derby referee were Radar Diamonds, the white ones, super grippy, but hard enough to roll fast
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 02:53 PM   #16
zebra1922

I've managed to pick up some second hand skates off Ebay for not much money, some with light up wheels (for the kids honest!) but some with some non standard wheels (i.e. not the original cheap wheels) so Ive got a few to try.

The skates themselves are all the wrong size but I can match them with the wheels I don't use and resell. Should hopefully get a better set up for not much money.
Old September 18th, 2018, 01:43 AM   #17
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post

Or softer cushions. A more compliant suspension will allow your wheels to stay in contact with the floor longer in corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
has a lot to do with the humidity and surface of the rink. softer wheels will help, see what others are using

Good advice. What are the locals using?

Temperature and humidity have a lot to do with how your wheels work. Same setup may work great one session and lousy the next. It's a moving target. I've had conditions change during a session before.
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:16 AM   #18
rwsz

I really don't know anymore on what they are using, u should be able to find out here from somebody.
Old October 27th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #19
zebra1922

Well I've got 2 new sets of wheels, some SFR light up ones and some SureGrip, both second hand but both are gripping brilliantly compared to my first set of wheels. I think I have a tendency to overlean on my crossovers (left a lovely black skid mark on the wooden floor of my local rink) but the grip is definitely now there, also helped by loosening the kingpin a little (I was losing wheel contact as things were too tight).

Better news, after 2 lessons I can now do a 180 turn to go backwards. Only 98 more skills to go......