S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
PeterM

Default Skating outside again

Sunday - 1st time outside this year - ouch. Suddenly the floor is no longer smooth and flat. Midges in the face. And cramp in the evening. Can't wait to get out again
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Breathe through your nose.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Armadillo

Default Zombie Hawgs 84A

Just got back to skating again after recovering from a couple of cracked ribs.

Just did 9.1 miles today on a closed outdoor loop with a new (borrowed) set of 76mm Zombie Hawgs wheels 84A duro & thinned to 38mm. Mounted them on my Laser Slider long wheelbase build. I have to say that despite their being heavier (172 grams with bearings) than my normal RD Twister wheels (70mm/120 gram with bearings), the roll was amazing, once you get them going that is - a lot of inertia.

Despite the big headwind for 1/2 of the loop, I was getting some decent lap times, considering how out of shape I am, having gone nearly 3 months with no skating.

Looks like I will be buying a set of these Z-Hawgs to be my everyday workout wheels. I will thin them out to 32-33mm and at ~150 grams per wheel with bearings, I will lengthen the life of my Twisters, and use them mostly for just racing only.

-Armadillo
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #4
On your right
Speed Up Or Stay Left

Default quads suck outdoors

First of all quads are my first love. In fact I have three pair. I have always used them indoors and at a rink. Outside I have inline speedskates on 4 x 110 wheels. I had an old pair of 195's just sitting around and some even older sunlight plates......so I thought lets make some outdoor quads.

I bought some new super red bearings and new atom roadhog wheels and hit the road. OMG are these things slow. The difference between speed inlines and quads is enormous. I have to work four times as hard just to maintain speed. Cracks in the pavement......thats another thing. My 110's laugh at cracks, while my quads are one small stone away from a trip to the emergency room.

My hat goes off to all of you that skate outdoor quads all the time. I still am having fun on them, but for any distance, speed inlines are the way to go. For those of you that have never tried or are thinking of getting speed inlines.....do not wait any longer. You will not be dissapointed. Happy rolling
On your right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #5
scrapdaddy

Default everyday

for about a month straight, cept when it rains, geting 16-20 miles 4 times a week on a outdoor paved trail that goes around my town, very curvy with hills, on short sport sz 4 white magnums on sz 12 695s, da45, custom bushings, rbt's 80a's or krypto project 2's, qube 8ball. its a great work out, i love quads, never been in inlines, dont really need to go fast, i go fast enough on the quads. off days are derby or session at the rink, both of these done on the same setup with 95a UW's or 92a RBt's. im so glad its summer! get out and skate everyone!
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #6
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
for about a month straight, cept when it rains, geting 16-20 miles 4 times a week on a outdoor paved trail that goes around my town, very curvy with hills, on short sport sz 4 white magnums on sz 12 695s, da45, custom bushings, rbt's 80a's or krypto project 2's, qube 8ball. its a great work out, i love quads, never been in inlines, dont really need to go fast, i go fast enough on the quads. off days are derby or session at the rink, both of these done on the same setup with 95a UW's or 92a RBt's. im so glad its summer! get out and skate everyone!
i just rolled my white avengers /811/white shamans on what i thought was a smooth bike path. i may have to roll my 4x110 bonts next time, as fun as it was...i dont have an outdoor quad setup, and my feet took a beating.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #7
stickstome2

I have some 951's with Reactors and Radar Zodiacs. I bought some Radar Pure outdoor wheels and tried them out on a walkway around a local park and had a great time. I did 12 miles.. Ill just keep switching out the wheels from indoor to outdoor.
stickstome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default They are Having a Good Quad Time

Hi On_your_Right,
Armadillo, Scrap, , ,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by On your right View Post
First of all quads are my first love. In fact I have three pair. I have always used them indoors and at a rink. Outside I have inline speedskates on 4 x 110 wheels. o-o For those of you that have never tried or are thinking of getting speed inlines.....do not wait any longer. You will not be dissapointed. Happy rolling
Agree with you, yet like a smaller wheel for outdoor skating on mixed surfaces. YET I do have friends that have never ever ever skated on InLines outdoors nor would ever think of it. It too boggles my mind. Lots of stories..

Yet these guys are having fun, and working out harder in a shorter distance than an InLine Skater. One of these days I might try them, might, might, or might not with some friends I know that do quads. Geez that means I have to buy Outdoor Quad wheels vs InLine Stuff.

Sorry Arm that you had to stop skating for 3 months. Bummer. Done it a few times in the last few decades yet not as long as 3 months. BTW know a buddy (young guy 20s that skated through his cracked rib.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave