S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default End of an Era

The old guard fast skaters at Fountain Valley are no more. 2 years ago you could count on about 6 or 7 of the old guard speed skaters at FV. For me, these guys set the tone and gave FV its flavor. A couple of guys were usually floaters, but the core was about 5 or 6. That core has been diminishing until it got to about 1 or 2 regulars. Over the last 4 or 5 weeks, the advanced speed skate has gone un-skated numerous times.

There are a few new guys taking up the slack. A group of 4 chasing each other around. One guy has been around a while, the 3 others are new to me. (perhaps they skated FV some time back, but I have only been going there about 3.5 years) There was no beginning or advanced speed skate this night. The speed skate was never something I did, well, actually I did. The beginning speed skate. But it was not the highlight of my night. It is just going to be weird without the regular "fast guys" doing their thing every adult night. These guys are in their early to late 40's. I overheard one of the staunch regulars complaining of, what was it, foot or ankle pain after a night of hard pushing.

I guess these guys are the remnant of the heyday of speed skating in the 80's. I am sure that they will be there in numbers from time to time, but the days of counting on them being there and going fast every Thurs and Sun are gone. Time marches on, and old man time catches up with everyone, eventually. End of an Era.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Sorry Rufus

Thanks Rufus,

For Sharing.

For me where I skate things seem to be going in the growth direction at an ever advancing pace. Slow but sure is the advance. It is started slow for sure with Derby gals WFTDA in the back drop of long term continual growth yet skating seems to be growing. Holiday Guy tells us that in the Philly, NJ area skating is also picking up with crowded parking lots. So the East Coast seems to be leading the pack for another rebirth in skating.

Now I have gone to Organ Skates in that area, and they have quite good skaters.

Why your place is going downward, while I see positive is interesting.

Tonight I went out and skated a Friday Night Skate with the teens and a very few adults who skate well, like a Jewish Guy with that head helmet cap and beard. You know of course by now, I am a Scrapdaddy sinner so I showed off and they the teens also showed off their abilities.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. I believe we just have to keep chugging on beyond all obstacles including emotions and failure to rebuild this skating thing we love..
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

It is not that it is going down. It is kind of steady, though the better nights are when we get a good of 10-15 derby girls. The speed guys were it. They set the tone. They were ALWAYS there. There was a crew of em. Just like a bar I suppose. You see certain people in a group there all the time, and then you just come to expect it. They also brought a certain energy to the floor. Plus they were fast. I guess I have to admit speed IS cool. Me, with my bad knee and ankle, never, not from day one of skating, was worried about going too fast. My knee, especially, would not put up with the pressure of a lot of going hard and fast, so I never pursued it. It was just cool having the regular crew of fast guys zinging around.