S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 1st, 2008, 04:46 AM   #1
gopherfan

Default Ottawa Results

Here are the Ottawa Inline Festival results from Sundayresults What a great event! The first race (10K) started at 1:20 in the afternoon. It was weird not being rushed early in the morning. Only 3 Americans were there skating. The pavement was silky smooth helping me set PBs for the 10K, 42K, and 21K! After the last race, I had given my all. My calf promptly cramped up and I went down. No major damage except to my sunglasses and the cut they created over my eye. It was weird because though the calf had randomly cramped up the night before while just sitting in bed, it didn't bother me during the races. I'd have been disappointed if it had taken me down in the race, but I don't feel too bad the way it turned out.

There was lots of talk about Montreal. I wish that we get the same weather next week for the 24 hours.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM   #2
sk8crazy

Gopherfan ... your time was just amazing. Congratulations from both of us!!! I told Joel your time & after he said "good for him", he said "sh!t, I'm never gonna be able to skate with him again". I told him, he'd better pick up the pace then.

Christine & Joel

added Tuesday a.m. --- Joel did say one other thing ... he hopes to see you and skate with you at the Defi 3rd Saturday in October.

Last edited by sk8crazy; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:56 AM.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM   #3
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Gopherfan's results:

10K (16:15), 42K (1:12:19), and 21K (36:25)

FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

How did you make that jump from 1:19 to 1:12, besides the Skater's Quest team jersey? Or was your white shirt really to baggy? I am blown away!

What skating equipment are you using?

Anyway I hope you saved a bit of whupass for Montreal because Joey was slower then me Sunday. Go team SQ!

Oh yeah, Team SkateLogForum too.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Gopherfan's results:
10K (16:15), 42K (1:12:19), and 21K (36:25)
Astounding. Very, very nice.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:48 AM   #5
gopherfan

It was the chasing Joey down every time I skate with him. The marathon pace was relentless. I was able to sustain the breaks and the seven 180 turn-arounds. I didn't know the time was that low until I saw the results. The 21K pace was faster until the end when it became gamesmanship by the multiple Ottawa skaters zig-zagging to make us other 3 skaters work for it. I was gassed, but was too stubborn to let it work.

I did some laps at HP tonight and felt surprisingly strong. We'll be ready for Montreal, though the weather may make things "interesting". This year I have my Storm Surge wheels ready to go.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:56 AM   #6
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
Gopherfan ... your time was just amazing. Congratulations from both of us!!! I told Joel your time & after he said "good for him", he said "sh!t, I'm never gonna be able to skate with him again". I told him, he'd better pick up the pace then.

Christine & Joel

added Tuesday a.m. --- Joel did say one other thing ... he hopes to see you and skate with you at the Defi 3rd Saturday in October.
I want to do Defi if only to say I've done it. I'm kinda thinking about waiting on the weather, but I need Joel there to navigate for sure.

Too bad you both won't be in Montreal. At least I won't be tempted to have a barley pop.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM   #7
sk8crazy

gopherfan, not for the 24 hour unfortunately. But we did book our hotel for the Defi yesterday. I'll be there but not skating & I'm pretty certain there'll be barley pop in the van for after the skate. At least that's what I've been told. If I can tear myself away from Rue St. Catherine (shops) I'll be at the finish. Actually, being at the finish is my plan.

We think there are 3 from Toronto going, Joel & our friends Jay & Ed (you & Joel skated with Ed last year NY100). Also there are two fellows from Montreal (Guy & Sylvain) that are the navigators. Joel skated with them first year he did Defi & now always makes sure he finds them at the start. Saw Guy at a race in May at the racetrack & he confirmed he'll be there, sunshine, rain or snow.

Will we see you at Duluth? We're flying in Thursday.

Sorry for the hijack.

Christine

Last edited by sk8crazy; September 3rd, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #8
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Damn Dude!

Everyone's talking about the US 10k Classic and you sneak in here with times like that.

Congrats, those are some fast times.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #9
gopherfan

Yes, I'll be in Duluth assuming I don't have any flight nightmares. My posse tends to make a late Friday arrival. We're staying first class at the Raddison this year. I think my college friends have gotten too expensive for my simple tastes and they think I don't have any standards. I guess that's how I get to so many races. It's not like what Joel speculated at Chicago, that I won the lottery.
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #10
sk8crazy

Then we'll see you there. We're at the Hawthorn Suites. Dinner Saturday night after the awards ceremony at Famous Dave's with a group from Toronto. You're welcome to join us if you like. Just let me know. I'm making a reservation.

Christine