View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2018, 04:59 PM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Dear Mark, Thanks for the post...lol!

Great Stuff.

It's always neat when people/skaters have such a love for a sport that they want others to get into it and that you want to share your knowledge with others. How else can we learn?

I learned a lot. I think there is a lot of truth in what you say about the upper body controlling the spin. I don't think there is anybody who does a spin who does not think that controlling the upper body, is essential in controlling and executing the spin. Good stuff and good work.

By the way. You mentioned in your personal history that is was required to learn figures if you wanted to perform freestyle and you stick to that motto today...lol!

I came from an era where every class was conducted with 1/2 figure practice, then 1/2 dance practice. Freestyle was something you learned on your own after a 2 year stint in learning dance and figures and then officially joining the club. It was an honor to be invited to be a "club" member.

In the old days...1967 every boy skated team dance. There was no such thing as solo dance. So a typical event like Sophomore "A" Team Dance had over 125 contestants at the SW Pacific Regionals. A few years before there were over 140 team contestants in Novice Team Dance.

I also believe team dance gained strength in the man's upper shoulders, which helped in his freestyle and jumps. I think there is a lot to be said that control of the upper body/strength aids in performing jumps. In the old days, early
70's nobody did singles. You either did doubles or you did not compete. I think that filtered down to almost the lowest events. I also think that is where cheating became prevalent, because asking a child to perform doubles is very hard. People learn to cheat to meet the objective. That may still be true today if you want to be a World Class Skater. You know you need triples to compete so you cheat in order to give the illusion of performing the difficult content.

Thanks again,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote