View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #28
Quadster
Smooth Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
3 days later....mojo's back! Many thanks!
That's good to hear

I'm in a pretty good place skate-wise too. I just did a personal best in the latest slalom trick that I've been working on. It's by far the most difficult move that I've ever done; and for quite a while I was not sure whether it was even possible to do it on quads at all.

Well, know I know that it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
If I got outdoor wheels on the quads, would that affect my indoor skating? I want to keep within a budget, so for now will only go with one set of wheels.
That obviously depends on many factors, not least what you mean by "affected".

Of course, it can be done easily enough, but whether you'd enjoy it depends on your expectations.

Here in the UK, the vast majority of people skate 78a wheels all the time (even on the occasions when they skate indoors). Their skate technique has developed accordingly, and there is no perceived downside or disadvantage because that's pretty much what everyone else skates too. However, in the US it's a totally different story. The abundance of rinks means that much harder wheels are the norm, so expectations for speed and extended roll are much higher, plus you'll be at a relative disadvantage if everyone else in the rink is skating wheels that are better suited for indoors than your wheels are.

If you don't mind pushing harder, and you're not sloppy with your technique (so that the grippy wheels don't grab during transitions and send you flying), then soft outdoor wheels will be perfectly fine, but by no means optimal.

You might be better off going for more of an all-round 'hybrid' wheel rather than a dedicated outdoor wheel. If you get something with a duro in the mid 80s (instead of 78a) then it will be less of a compromise indoors. How hard you go will obviously depend on how good the outdoor surfaces are where you live.

I've skated 84a Poisons outdoors and they were fine, but my Aussie Scotts (which are supposedly 85a) are real bone shakers on rough surfaces (despite being a similar duro to the Poisons), although my Scotts do work great on smooth tarmac / asphalt.

Last edited by Quadster; April 30th, 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Quadster is offline   Reply With Quote