View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:27 PM   #57
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Interesting. I'll have to play with the toe heel thing.

You should. It's an eye-opener.

Quote:
But I don't think those two examples contradict the simple bio-mechanics of my point. To move, especially quickly, the human body will have a forward leaning stance. Having skates on does not change that mechanical fact.

It's more getting your weight headed in the direction of motion. An abrupt side motion would not benefit from wight over your toes. Think of the way a motorcycle turns.

Quote:
when you say "Need to run up on a guy a little, get your weight on your heels." Otherwise I can't imagine a way a person running on their heels would ever be faster than a person on their toes, skates or not.

Think of it in more subtle terms. Get some speed up and get into a coasting tuck, like you're headed into a corner. Without changing your stance or balance at all, curl your toes upward in the boot firmly. You'll feel yourself gain a little speed. Likewise, press down with the ball of your foot, you'll feel some drag. It might take a few tries for you to get the technique, but once you get it, the light bulb will really come on.