Quadster
Smooth Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Very eloquent Quadster.
Thanks.

Quote:
I just want to remind the mere mortals among us that have been slaloming for years and still suck not to get discouraged.
LOL. I assure you there's nothing special about me. I'm just an old dog who has learned a few new tricks.

Quote:
In my opinion "edges" on inlines are more of a concept than an actual thing, because the wheels are round. I know some people will probably school me on that, but hey.
You're right, they are just a concept; it's just a way to explain which side of your wheels you should be on. As far as I am aware that terminology was taken from Ice Skates (where they really do have edges) and the phrase just became established over time and has been used for inlines ever since.

I've got used to hearing the terminology now, but what still really annoys me is when people refer to the middle of the wheel as the "Centre edge" (or "Center" for you US folk). It's bad enough using 'edge' to mean the side of a rounded wheel, but to use it for the middle seems ridiculous to me. In fact that phrase itself is an oxymoron: if it's in the 'centre' then, by definition, it cannot be at the 'edge'. This is not some bizarre misuse of the word by beginners; it's actually used by qualified inline instructors all the time. It's even included in ICP (Inline Certification Program) instructor training guide.

Quote:
Seba should just shut up and start selling the boots without the #*!**# frame attached, so people wouldn't be stuck with a huge frame and huge wheels they can't use. UGH! Can someone tell me if Powerslide does that?
Yes, Powerslide skates also come with frames pre-mounted (as do all high-end slalom skates regardless of the manufacturer). However, Powerslide uses a more a sane sizing system whereby the frames do not change up to 243mm until the boot reaches size EUR42 (US 9) or larger. However, the idiots at Seba make this same changeover at size EUR40 (US 7), which is why the wheel base ends up being so disproportionately huge on their smaller skates. They even look ridiculous (the skate equivalent of clown shoes).

Quote:
I started this thread a really long time ago, but only wore my quads once, because they are [B]soooo slow and stiff and BORING!!!
As I mentioned previously, I am a quad skater and skating on inlines has not changed that. However, I really did notice just how slow quads were in comparison when I switched back. When you then also take into account the manoeuvrability factor, it makes perfect sense why almost all slalomers skate on inlines.

I like to be weird though. Plus, I like a challenge
Quadster is offline   Reply With Quote