View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2020, 11:18 PM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Ursle mentioned the differences in your plates' action, but did not elaborate on it. You are used to MORE turning ability with your Roll Lines. The reactor is not a poor choice for Rhythm and toe spins. I would say any 10 degree plate is good for that. My greater concern for the new plate would be the LENGTH of the plate. (axle to axle wheelbase) You want the plate to be the length of the middle of the ball of your foot, to mid heel. Then when you have a plate that short, you put the axles under the mid heel and ball of the foot.

As for help skating the 10 degree:
There are two sets of skate knowledge. What your feet know, and what your body knows. The reason you have trouble with the Reactors is, you want to lean like normal and have your feet react, but the less turny plate cannot react like your Roll Line. To maintain your normal level of body lean, you will have to use tricks to get turning out of the Reactor. This means lifting front or rear axles as you skate to get the level of turning you want out of a plate that does not want to give you the level of turning you want.

When I first got my 45 degree plate, which turns MORE than your Roll Line, I was a turning maniac. I just loved getting the maximum turn out of the plate all the time. As time wore on, I find myself lifting axles to do things, and only use the "pure" turning power of the plate itself once or twice per lap. I don't know how this happened. Just over time, I was less interested in maximum turning power all the time. I developed skill at lifting axles.

This lifting axles stuff led to something interesting. One day, I forgot my skates, and the rink I went to was a long drive. I could not go home and get back in time to skate. So, rentals it was. What I found is, I could lean like I was skating my turny 45 degree plates, and use "tricks" as I call it, to get the skates to turn.

Another illustration of body lean and plates is this. I had gotten a skate buddy on a 45. He liked it, learned to lean a lot and turn well. Well, somebody convinced him that his 45 was trash and he needed a "better" plate, and got him on a Pro Line. Well, my buddy also liked to have SEVERAL drinks before skating. So he would try and lean the way he did on a 45, but the Pro Lines would not give him enough turn. He fell over. A LOT.

Anyways.... I think the reactor is a good plate for what you want to do. The less turny 10 degree will be better for toe spinning. Any plate with more action will feel more noodly. I will bet that the reactor you have is too long.

So, if you want to make peace with the new skate you have, you will have to learn to lean less with it, or apply axle tricks to get enough turning out of the Reactor. If you want to pursue your original goal, I think you will need a shorter reactor, assuming your current reactor is not short enough.