View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2019, 04:09 PM   #19
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Before this discussion goes any further down the rabbit hole.

Let's throw the arius out of this discussion.

Beginning skaters use harder cushions, advanced skaters use softer cushions, advanced skaters have taught their body (core) to balance better, hard cushions are like bicycle training wheels, softer cushions require less force to compress the cushion, better balance from hours of skating allow the skater to use less force turning, which translates into more fun, quicker turns and when skating fast, a pure form of advanced skating.(because of the balance required with soft cushions that don't limit the action, hard cushions are something to lean into and push against, soft cushions simply compressDeform the skater has to lean much further into them, and that comes with experience)

Top speed with soft cushions may be lower than with hard cushions because of the loss of energy to the cushions, if you want to skate at top speed get on inlines.

Cushions don't snap back, they absorbe energy both compressing and decompressing, hard cushions don't compress as much, so they decompress faster, but they aren't snapping energy into the turn, they are not a perpetual motion machine, they are simply less fun.
Firmness of a cushion needed depends on many things, not just skill level though.

If one needs more turning they may need one or more of the following: better form, more compliant cushions, suspension modifications such as increased cushion heights, flat washers instead of deep dished or shallow dished cups, firmer boots/new boots if a skate boot is I'll fitting or if the soles have become super soft, lubricated suspension, a shorter wheelbase, or more kingpin angle with the same wheelbase, a different wheel profile and lip design. There may be more than that but those are what stand out at the moment.

Firmer cushions have a greater tendency to reset to neutral at higher speeds, this is useful for high agility, high speed, hard skating where more resistance creates stability in high exertion situations, be it low speed and acceleration to high speed, or high speed skating with max agility where the support is welcomed. Also, when 1 foot slaloming, if you can compress a given cushion without issues or fatigue the extra resilience is very nice, it's not that it springs you onto the other edge. But it simply feels better. This is my take on SG yellows vs SG purples if both are greased and setup correctly.

I haven't bothered to go down from 80A in my arius plates, probably could just haven't bothered yet. But in those plates, cushion firmness is not what makes the plate stable. And They will carve a tighter circle than I have grip for at virtually any floor at any speed so, switching would likely not give me any advantage whatsoever

Going fast is fun in quads, and when you can hang with the inliners while in quads. Why switch? We already get yelled at for going fast, why would I want to use an innately faster skate so I can put forth even less effort? Lol. Also why give up that ultra loud hockey stop that can turn someone into a fainting goat??

Outdoors though.... inlines are king, but quads are still fun