Thread: Axle Help
View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2019, 12:27 PM   #29
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Just for clarity here, 2 questions.

Was your example of use to highlight the strength and holding power of red loctite?

Or do you mean for people to start using it on their kingpins in place of a jam nut?

Ursle needs to know.

Quote:
Was your example of use to highlight the strength and holding power of red loctite?
The use of the locktite was not to highlight the strenth, the strength of red loctite has been established for years, but to fill a void in the threads of the kingpin and the threads in the plate/frame. Once dried red loctites properties makes it extremely difficult to remove the grade 8 stud. The studs are from McMaster Carr. I have broken bolts that were locked into place with red loctite before on machinery. It just don't give up so easily, so no locking nut needed. In several years of skating these plates, the red loctite has proven it is up to the task.

Quote:
Or do you mean for people to start using it on their kingpins in place of a jam nut?
Ursle needs to know.
People that experiment with skate gear or more precisely, experiment with cushion stacks may like to use red loctite instead of locknuts to allow the users to try taller cushions. Taller cushions reduce coil bind affects or ramp up of resistance as the plate angle increases during turns. By removing the locknut, there is more room to add a taller cushion between the plate and the truck.
I have lots of old skate plates and some have been produced with taller cushions.
My plates are different than that, as I have overlength kingpins allowing me to use taller cushions on top and bottom of the truck.
Never broken a kingpin, or truck. Usually I can stick harder wheels when other can't due to low ramp up.
So, the red loctite could be used to eliminate the locknut, but I'm not saying that they should. That change would lead to learning things, as once the kp is loctited in, you have no choice but to experiment and learn.

Sorry I may be explaining things beyond ursle comprehension abilities.....