View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #25
Jayant

Smile Jay here..

Hi,

Jayant (Jay) here! 40 years old. Ya, never dreamed I'd be into speed. It started 4 years ago dusting off some K2 Express 2000's skates I bought around 2000. In addition seeing olympic speed-skaters. For some reason it "stuck" this time 'around. I was hooked *though never thought I'd become so addicted. I did it mainly to supplement weight training with interesting cardio. I loved the workout and though terribly sore afterward (a great feeling sore) I wanted to do it again and again! And I did do it again and again again!! *I began to watch videos and happened upon Mr. Matzinger and the double-push. That really inspired me. Nonetheless I spent hours in the parking by the University of Toledo here working on technique and exercises to improve. I decided after 2 years to
Move up to bigger wheels and bought some Mach 100's (k2) with the hi-lo set up. Loved those skates! Still yet perusing the inline warehouse website, I never thought I'd pick up a pair of those crazy yet beautiful looking speedskates. "now those are *insane!" I'd think. * Somewhere along the journey I started thinking about competition. Dunno why, perhaps *just the athlete in me refusing to completely lie dormant. I hadn't competed in anything since cycling in college. Maybe it was the fact that I have a tendency to push myself like I am training or competing for something. Again, maybe just all the years of sports I did- running, basketball, swimming, football, etc. Sometime in the winter I began to dream of speed skates and eventually got some at the end of May (Bont Semi- race 3pt.) They came on the same day that my K2 Mach 100's got stolen out of my car. Go figure! I entered my 1st race in July (Chicagoland) and skated the 1/2 marathon distance. Had a blast! Now I'm seeking to do indoors over the winter. Just experienced 1st speed practice last week. That was quite different but exhilarating. So who knows where this journey might lead.
Jayant is offline   Reply With Quote